NTU/NUS/SMU 2017-2018 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

poingyo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you study something you like, you may look back 5 years later and ask yourself why didn't you study the one that made money.

If you study a subject for money, you may look back 5 years later and ask yourself why didn't you study what you like.

i like to play games, does it mean i dont study anymore and focus on gaming?

have to look at the job market, at least a skill that can make you survive in the future.

to me, money > passion

suzame_lee

Reaction score
Guys when do you think smu will call up for the interview? I read online it says on smu website that interview will be carried out starting from Jan onwards. Just wondering when they would call cause I cannot stand the suspense of waiting.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
i like to play games, does it mean i dont study anymore and focus on gaming?

have to look at the job market, at least a skill that can make you survive in the future.

to me, money > passion

If you are doing something you are truly passionate about, you won't mind living a life without a lot of money.

But it's not easy...your friends will compare salaries, and your parents + gf/wife may pressure you.

No easy way out.

Magickiller9

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys when do you think smu will call up for the interview? I read online it says on smu website that interview will be carried out starting from Jan onwards. Just wondering when they would call cause I cannot stand the suspense of waiting.

Early Jan for scholars. U can wait till June etc.

partytoe

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks all!

I am actually looking at NUS FASS, NTU Business & SMU Business.
I picked these three courses that are kind of in my GPA reach.

NUS FASS VS SMU Business
which one would be a better option?

depends, what would you specialize in in NUS FASS?

Pvcleather

Reaction score
Hi, please help to rate my chance. I've graduated from Ngee Ann Poly (humanities course)

1. Final CGPA 3.64
2. L1B4 Raw 16
English B3
Combined humans B4
3. Leadership CCA with many volunteering experience
4. Preferred choice: NTU Sociology

I've applied to NTU last year to the following courses with a CGPA 3.55 but got rejected:
1. Sociology
2. Environmental and Earth Systems
3. Linguistic and multilingual
4. English
5. Philosophy

Sadly I wasn't offered any of the courses :<

Last edited:

Aiyahz

Reaction score
So its safe to say that a couple thousands of people will be shortlisted for interview then?

Which one is more important in the case of SMU, interview or admission grades?

Is it easy for international graduates of SMU to find jobs?

Final year SMU student here. Just my 2cents, would think that once they call you down for interview implictly results don't matter anymore. its more on how u perform on your interview and/or test (if any).

tjswo9997

Reaction score
rate my chance please

First of all Foreinger
Ngee ann Polytechnic Biomedical Engineering
5 Sem CGPA 3.73
O lvl L1R4 15, L1R5 19
Englsih C6, Emath A1, Amath A2, Physics B4. Chem B3
Silver for CCA
My target is NTU EEE, BME,ME and NUS EEE, BME,ME
Thanks!

Last edited:

poingyo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, please help to rate my chance. I've graduated from Ngee Ann Poly (humanities course)

1. Final CGPA 3.64
2. L1B4 Raw 16
English B3
Combined humans B4
3. Leadership CCA with many volunteering experience
4. Preferred choice: NTU Sociology

I've applied to NTU last year to the following courses with a CGPA 3.55 but got rejected:
1. Sociology
2. Environmental and Earth Systems
3. Linguistic and multilingual
4. English
5. Philosophy

Believe or not I was not offered any of the courses

lol.. your result is below average. why do u think u can offered a courses last year?

suzame_lee

Reaction score
When i had my interview years ago it was last week of may or early june around this period.

Thanks! Looks like I have to find something to do while waiting for a reply from smu to keep myself sane. Haha.

suzame_lee

Reaction score
Final year SMU student here. Just my 2cents, would think that once they call you down for interview implictly results don't matter anymore. its more on how u perform on your interview and/or test (if any).

Also can I check whether you're in accountancy? I read online that smu grads stand out quite the most among other local uni grads in terms of being vocal and more enthusiastic but the downside is they lack of technical skill compared to the other two. With your experience in smu would you advise prospective students to go to smu accountancy?

poingyo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also can I check whether you're in accountancy? I read online that smu grads stand out quite the most among other local uni grads in terms of being vocal and more enthusiastic but the downside is they lack of technical skill compared to the other two. With your experience in smu would you advise prospective students to go to smu accountancy?

ya they stand out.. like by employer at the start.. hate by NTU/NUS..

cos they are arrogant and full of talking and no action done..

if you are not vocal, u will hate by your classmate and die in there..

Siaolangkeng

Reaction score
ya they stand out.. like by employer at the start.. hate by NTU/NUS..

cos they are arrogant and full of talking and no action done..

if you are not vocal, u will hate by your classmate and die in there..

Lol, you sound like you're speaking from experience

Siaolangkeng

Reaction score

I think you can expect to receive a call from them around mid March to April if your score is one of the better ones

Aiyahz

Reaction score
Thanks! Looks like I have to find something to do while waiting for a reply from smu to keep myself sane. Haha.

haha but dont take my word for it. Like what other people has said, its an ongoing process so not necessary it will be like so late. Keep the faith :)

Aiyahz

Reaction score

Hmm i'm not in accountacy sorry :( I'm in social science.
Well SMU engages in a different teaching pedagogy whereby class participation normally holds high % depending on prof (might be low too), but ultimately the school does very well in branding its brand on how students are very marketable.

With that being said, it is unfair to say that SMU students lack technical skills or other uni students are not so vocal because ultimately 1 course can produce a wide spectrum of students and these are the results of people's internal learning capabilities etc.

Since i don't know much abt NTU/NUS culture, i can only say that base on my experience SMU is a pretty fast paced and competitive place to be. But hey, everyone's experience is different and how much u gain is how much u make the most out of it! If u get into SMU i could tell u more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.