NTU/NUS/SMU 2018-2019 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Origen

Reaction score
Did you apply as a freshman or apply under transfer? I am not sure about how NTU transfer works but I hope there is a field for you to declare your current uni results.

But just looking at your GPA, I agree with the rest that it is a bit borderline, perhaps except Linguistics whose 10th percentile is 3.53. You will just have to wait and see whether they would consider your university results (which I assume to be good, since its second upper) as part of the admissions.

On a more personal note, I hope you have considered this well as it appears to me that you don't seem to know very well what you have signed up for. There is no "social policies and global affairs" but "Public Policy and Global Affairs", as well as no "multi linguistics", but "Linguistics and Multilingual Studies". (How does "multi linguistics" even work??)

I know I should not be judging much simply based on one post but if anything these names should have been remembered at the back of your hand by now, if you have been thinking about the transfer all year long. Do note that all the courses you have listed so far also require a strong grasp of English, of which not having so would put you at a disadvantage. (Especially for LMS, since you are studying about languages itself.)

All of the courses you mentioned would require written test and/or interview (at least from what I know), and in last year's thread there have been people who were rejected after the interview. I hope you are sincerely interested in the courses and not transferring for the sake of it, as it would be equally hard to study something you have no interest in.

All the best!

Hi! Thanks for the response and I appreciate it! I’m currently applying as a freshmen, not for a transfer between universities (or so I think). This is because they asked me to submit only my university transcript & not my poly gpa / o level results as they told me that they’ll obtain it from the databases themselves.

Also, do appreciate the note. :) But I’m on mobile whenever I’m using this site hence I find it harder to type much thus I shorten the course name hoping people will just get the gist of it. Also, I should make clear that in my current university, My course is technically a more niche area of sociology. Which results in me learning a lot of social policies & sociology theories.
However I find that my course is too niche (both in career prospects & my own liking) which is why I’m applying to NTU.
To get into my course, I have also done a written test. And in my y1s1 and currently s2, it is pretty intensive. So i’d Say I’m pretty hopeful in that aspect.

I decided to apply again since the COP has dropped from last year.

But I’m worried about my chances now haha.

Origen

Reaction score
[Probably your best and closest bet is here.

She has written the process of changing courses within NTU. It seems it will fall back on your 'A' level/Polytechnic results. Again, no concrete prove there. I have friends who transferred courses and they have done well on their first semester as well.

Hi! Thank you so much :) but I’m not really transferring courses. I’m transferring from different uni and applying as a freshmen. Hopefully they’ll take a look at my gpa and not push me aside hahaha.

To add on, I actually took a value added program in SIT (my current Uni) on academic writing (writing essays) in general and I have a certificate for that. Idk if such stuff + my Uni results help tho

ryan_khoo

Master Member
Reaction score
Can I check if anyone knows whether if change course within the same faculty & university (eg say after finishing 2 years of Electrical Engineering in NTU apply to start 2nd year in Industrial Engineering NTU), can still use CPF to pay for the course ?

Thanks

ryan_khoo

Master Member
Reaction score
Got called up by SMU to attend interview SMU Accounting.

Can any kind bros and sisters here let me know what will they ask & do during the interview ?

And sharing what are the DOs and DONTs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

chillmonger

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I've been called up for NUS' FASS writing test. Does anyone know what could they possibly be testing and if there is a "score system" or is it like a free writing kind of thing?

Would really appreciate inputs, thanks!

Reaction score
Hey thanks for replying, yes I’m quite interested in research but I’ve told by my colleagues working in astar to think it through as there is many students who regretted doing PhD haha
About how Long would it take to get from the station to campus by bus?

I didn't keep track of time but it was probably around 15 mins? The public bus is a lot better imo. I was also very interested in research! My peers were given the same advice as you were. :(

For what it's worth, I met many satisfied and happy research fellows during my stint at A*STAR, though my lab is slightly unique.

Applied for ntu biological science with a CGPA of 3.7588.what are my chances?

It's quite borderline, but there is definitely a chance. Hopefully you tried for DA. Just in case.

Meatboi96

Reaction score
There seems to be a common theme of negativity and hate towards me and I can’t understand why? I understand you all are trying to give me a “reality check” but is it so wrong to have dreams and be proud of past achievements such as L1R4 6points? I never mean to be arrogant but my achievements are all facts and I just wanted to give all a better picture of my chances. But instead all of you (eddief4, babybunny, geeniee and more) jump on the bandwagon and hate on it. Want to shoutout to nekomon tho who gave me kind encouragements and I really appreciate it. :s13:

You do not need to boast here that your O Level has scored very well. We are all very aware that you are a 6-pointer as you claimed

You do not need to tell everyone that this is a university thread, everyone knows. tt32003 started the post about NS as NSFs take time off to settle their individual university admission matters, as long as they are on topic, no reason to fault them. You on the other hand, appears to me that you rode along the NS discussion topic:

From my POV, he is not being a wet blanket. Everyone here is trying to tell you that your chances are low, I do not know why you keep harping on your O Level score and being a high flyer soldier

And it appears to me that you are challenging the people around here. I do not think you are the only 6-pointer in Singapore.

The members here in general are not telling you to stop trying, neither did they tell you to stop dreaming, they are just telling you the probability of getting to the dream institution that you desire. The cards are on the table, it is up to you whether you want to look at them or not.

You got the determination, good for you, we like it, but there is a difference between that and being a nuisance. If your intention here is to troll, then I am sorry to say, this is not the right place.

O

Fearah

Reaction score
Got called up by SMU to attend interview SMU Accounting.

Can any kind bros and sisters here let me know what will they ask & do during the interview ?

And sharing what are the DOs and DONTs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Im from nus biz act. But i attended their interview. They asked the usual questions. Why smu? Why accounting? Its quite chill. But that was a few years back haha

kyo1994

Reaction score
Depending on competitiveness on this year's cohort, you may be granted DA. You should heavily consider applying as a mature applicant if you do not succeed this year since applying as a regular applicant will rank you against everyone else (the same cohort) as well.

Suggest you to wait it through the second acceptance window - usually around end-May.

Thanks for your advice! I have to start university this year as I really want a degree first. I've also applied to SIM and SIT so I'm actually waiting from 5 universities.

Nonetheless I'll wait for second acceptance window for the Big 3. Thank you.

Last edited:

Sujono

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I've been called up for NUS' FASS writing test. Does anyone know what could they possibly be testing and if there is a "score system" or is it like a free writing kind of thing?

Would really appreciate inputs, thanks!

Are you from poly or jc ? If you are from jc , do you mind sharing your gp grade and rp ?
I also apply for fass, my gp grade is d. I am also worry that I would be called for writing test.
Those who had taken the test before , pls share some experiences.

Thanks

wutdequack

Reaction score
I stand by this. With increased slots, expect demand to be extremely high. It wasn't like this few years back.

I'm going to be a bit more realistic. Factoring in the increased popularity of com science, it will be a challenge and not "a very good chance".

3.5 is very borderline and there is a slim chance but albeit, still tough.

NTU's comp science is closer to your GPA than NUS's but the trend should be going up until the com science bubble bursts.

Wholeheartedly agree with these statements, especially with the Government's push towards IT, more demand = more supply. But actually shouldn't prior experiences be taken into account when they consider you to another candidate? I know based on the application processes this is not the case, but how then can I utilize my prior experiences as an advantage if I don't make it to the interview stage. Or should I also start making myself more visible to the lecturers of the different unis by emailing them?

I am prepared to not get through all 3 major unis, so wanna get some tips for the 2019/2020 intake hahaha :s13:

Last edited:

Plow98

Banned
Reaction score
ah I didn't think he meant his CGPA was his final GPA. Also just wondering, is it normal to have GPA with four decimal figures? My poly only shows GPA rounded up to 2 decimal figures

Actual GPA or CGPA is recorded in 4 decimal figures, and in this format:

(example) 3.9624 / 4.0000

Thank you.

Amituofo

Meatboi96

Reaction score
Yes, various activities at a national level involving many companies. Application still processing, it means there's chance :s22: come on, if they really want to reject me at the start,they would have done so by now. I've applied early when the admission started. I guess an interview is coming up :love:

My brother also graduated from SP with Diploma in merit with a GPA 3.9++ and CCA Gold with Honours. He used these to enter NUS in a relevant degree course and he mentioned that that those who enter NUS during his cohort using Polytechnic Diploma also have around the same GPA as him.

You can always apply MBBS as first choice regardless of anyone comment (Some more you already applied), so why are you asking us? If you think you are near my brother standard, then you may have the chance or else you have no chance. My friends, a lot of HZWers and I feels that you have no chance of getting into NUS & NTU MBBS with this kind of standard. So to answer your questions...

Q) During my time in sp, I was a exco who organize and manage many orientation camps. Do you think I stand a good chance especially with such contributions to the school?

A) There are so many people range from 'General worker' to 'CCA Chairman/Captain' contributes to school in many ways such as organizing orientation camps. So what your role in your CCA or camp organizer? Got represent at national (Singapore) or school (SP) level and get achievement like Gold Medal?

ryan_khoo

Master Member
Reaction score
Im from nus biz act. But i attended their interview. They asked the usual questions. Why smu? Why accounting? Its quite chill. But that was a few years back haha
Thanks Fearah,

Can share whether you get offer from SMU after the interview. If yes, why didn’t you take up ?

Anyone can share their recent interview for SMU Accounting would be greatly appreciated. Anyone ?

Thanks

Pesantkie

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, various activities at a national level involving many companies. Application still processing, it means there's chance :s22: come on, if they really want to reject me at the start,they would have done so by now. I've applied early when the admission started. I guess an interview is coming up :love:

Ok so we shall wait for your reply whether you get a letter from them or not. If never must tell us and don’t keep quiet.

Pesantkie

Master Member
Reaction score
Actual GPA or CGPA is recorded in 4 decimal figures, and in this format:

(example) 3.9624 / 4.0000

Thank you.

Amituofo

probably different poly has different gpa system.

SP puts 2dp for semestral and 3dp for CGPA.

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yah

Would like the find out the difference between accountancy at the 3 unis as well

Which one is the best ?

Meatboi96

Reaction score
And to further add on, the moderator of this thread has stated that you do not need to be arrogant about your “brother” achievement. It is his achievement not yours. You do not need to bring it up here unless it is your own achievement. Then what accomplishments do you have other than showing off your “brother’s achievements”. #justsaying

My brother also graduated from SP with Diploma in merit with a GPA 3.9++ and CCA Gold with Honours. He used these to enter NUS in a relevant degree course and he mentioned that that those who enter NUS during his cohort using Polytechnic Diploma also have around the same GPA as him.

You can always apply MBBS as first choice regardless of anyone comment (Some more you already applied), so why are you asking us? If you think you are near my brother standard, then you may have the chance or else you have no chance. My friends, a lot of HZWers and I feels that you have no chance of getting into NUS & NTU MBBS with this kind of standard. So to answer your questions...

Q) During my time in sp, I was a exco who organize and manage many orientation camps. Do you think I stand a good chance especially with such contributions to the school?

A) There are so many people range from 'General worker' to 'CCA Chairman/Captain' contributes to school in many ways such as organizing orientation camps. So what your role in your CCA or camp organizer? Got represent at national (Singapore) or school (SP) level and get achievement like Gold Medal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.