HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2020-2021 Intake

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #31

why is there a DA section when applying to nus/ntu?
Don't think so, my daughter just applied, only aptitude admission.
Jcleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #32

Thought DA and aptitude-based admission are the same? Just that they changed name
crazzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #33

one qn, if i got the offer from sutd and i accept it, will i straight away rejected from nus and ntu?
woshichaoren98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 05:30 AM   #34

IIRC based on the various uni websites the 10th percentile reflected in the IGP does not take in to account the students who got in via DA? Can someone correct me if I am wrong.
That's correct (at least for NUS) - http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/undergradu...ammes/igp-faqs

7. Why do the grade profiles not take into account offers that were made under Aptitude Based (Discretionary) Admissions?

Since 2004, the University has introduced the Aptitude Based (Discretionary) Admissions framework where students can be offered admission based on criteria other than their academic grades. This would include, typically, special talents, leadership skills or an outstanding record of co-curricular activities and demonstrated passion/aptitude relevant to the course of study. The academic performance of students who are offered under this scheme will not be indicative of the academic requirements for admission and are, therefore, not included in the indicative grade profile of offers. From Academic Year 2017/2018, NUS may admit up to 15% of our annual intake under Aptitude Based (Discretionary) Admissions. While the admission process will remain largely the same, a higher proportion of places to consider students for Aptitude Based (Discretionary) Admissions will provide more room for the university to shortlist and admit students from more diverse background and talents.
Occifer&Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #35

No more DA folks.
The Big 3 will no longer offer discretionary admissions from this year 2020.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-from-academic

Taken on its face, yes, there's no more "Discretionary Admissions" per-se, but in reality, the tangible takeaways for "aptitude -based"* applicants are that:

1. Universities no longer bounded by a set percentage of students that they can choose to admit based on aptitude (i.e. previously 15% for NUS, and from this year onwards, no cap).

2. Universities continue to maintain a internal minimum academic "cut-off" for aptitude-based applicants so that they can mitigate against the undergrad not surviving the course.

3. Expect Universities to take in more applicants that fulfill the "mature applicant" criterion and also, more "based on aptitude" to meet MOE's drive for 40% of birth cohort doing undergrad and varying the pathways (i.e. move away from the mental model of doing pre-u then undergrad. Instead, why not pre-u, NS / work, then undergrad etc...)

*Looking at the write-up here - http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/undergradu...ased-admission

The University sets aside places for consideration of candidates who demonstrate a strong interest or aptitude for the courses they have applied for. The University will consider factors besides academic grades and admit applicants on other bases, including demonstrated ability and interest, work experience, leadership, community service and exceptional talent, subject to a minimum level of academic competence.

The following are some samples of exceptional achievements that may be taken into consideration:

Medal winner at the International Olympiads (Biology, Chemistry, Informatics, Mathematics and Physics)
Represented Singapore in Arts and/or Sports
Active participation in community service and volunteer programmes
Work experience relevant to the course applied for (supporting document/s is/are required)
Key leadership positions in community organisations, sports and athletic clubs, etc (outside school)

Applicants who wish to be considered under this scheme must provide details under the 'Outstanding Achievements' section of the online application form. If you have indicated information this section, you are strongly encouraged to provide an elaboration of these activities at the ‘Essay’ portion of this section too. In addition, you may wish to discuss a special talent, a personal experience or an activity that you have been involved in that is of relevance to the course you are applying for at the university.

It should seem awfully familiar to those that have applied under DA before (Hence, there's really not much of change in the baseline criterion for applicants that wish to use non-academic factors to convince the universities to admit)

Cheers
Old 13-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #36

Thought DA and aptitude-based admission are the same? Just that they changed name
Taken on its face, yes, there's no more "Discretionary Admissions" per-se, but in reality, the tangible takeaways for "aptitude -based"* applicants are that:

1. Universities no longer bounded by a set percentage of students that they can choose to admit based on aptitude (i.e. previously 15% for NUS, and from this year onwards, no cap).

2. Universities continue to maintain a internal minimum academic "cut-off" for aptitude-based applicants so that they can mitigate against the undergrad not surviving the course.

3. Expect Universities to take in more applicants that fulfill the "mature applicant" criterion and also, more "based on aptitude" to meet MOE's drive for 40% of birth cohort doing undergrad and varying the pathways (i.e. move away from the mental model of doing pre-u then undergrad. Instead, why not pre-u, NS / work, then undergrad etc...)

*Looking at the write-up here - http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/undergradu...ased-admission

The University sets aside places for consideration of candidates who demonstrate a strong interest or aptitude for the courses they have applied for. The University will consider factors besides academic grades and admit applicants on other bases, including demonstrated ability and interest, work experience, leadership, community service and exceptional talent, subject to a minimum level of academic competence.

The following are some samples of exceptional achievements that may be taken into consideration:

Medal winner at the International Olympiads (Biology, Chemistry, Informatics, Mathematics and Physics)
Represented Singapore in Arts and/or Sports
Active participation in community service and volunteer programmes
Work experience relevant to the course applied for (supporting document/s is/are required)
Key leadership positions in community organisations, sports and athletic clubs, etc (outside school)

Applicants who wish to be considered under this scheme must provide details under the 'Outstanding Achievements' section of the online application form. If you have indicated information this section, you are strongly encouraged to provide an elaboration of these activities at the ‘Essay’ portion of this section too. In addition, you may wish to discuss a special talent, a personal experience or an activity that you have been involved in that is of relevance to the course you are applying for at the university.

It should seem awfully familiar to those that have applied under DA before (Hence, there's really not much of change in the baseline criterion for applicants that wish to use non-academic factors to convince the universities to admit)

Cheers

Here you go
Old 14-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #37
Master Member

one qn, if i got the offer from sutd and i accept it, will i straight away rejected from nus and ntu?
I think for local university applications, once you accept an offer all other offers automatically lapsed.
meowyy likes this.
Plow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #38

I think for local university applications, once you accept an offer all other offers automatically lapsed.
You can get offers from all 6 autonomous niversities.

You can only accept one of the offers from the common MOE portal.

I would advice you to wait until all the universities have replied you.
Fearah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #39
Master Member

please teach me how you get your scholarship

School fees bery expensive
If you want scholarship, better apply for those bond-free.

I totally regretted taking my scholarship, end up breaking and paying.
meowyy likes this.
Old 14-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #40

You can get offers from all 6 autonomous niversities.

You can only accept one of the offers from the common MOE portal.

I would advice you to wait until all the universities have replied you.
but the deadline to accpt sutd offer is before 31 march. may be by that time, i have not gotten the offer from other uni. how? thx
woshichaoren98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #41
Master Member

If you want scholarship, better apply for those bond-free.

I totally regretted taking my scholarship, end up breaking and paying.
With a bond, you will be spared the job-hunting excitement and have a job waiting for you upon graduation.
Moreover, the job will likely to be a 'good' job since it is linked/relevant to the scholarship sponsor.
Old 15-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #42
Master Member

but the deadline to accpt sutd offer is before 31 march. may be by that time, i have not gotten the offer from other uni. how? thx
By 31st March most, if not all first-round offers by local universities would have been delivered.
Old 16-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #43
Master Member

With a bond, you will be spared the job-hunting excitement and have a job waiting for you upon graduation.
Moreover, the job will likely to be a 'good' job since it is linked/relevant to the scholarship sponsor.
That is probably true for other industry. I am in the IT industy. When Google SG opened engineering office, I had to turn down the opportunity to apply. The pay gap is huge between my sponsoring company and google. After working for them for 3 years with below market salary, I decided to move on and my pay jumped by 100%.

So if you think that the job is good just because it is from a scholarship sponsor, think twice. You may not be seeing the full picture.

I have a few other friends who have taken prestigious overseas scholarship, most of them are just waiting for the bond to be over and move out of their respective organization. If it was not due to the high amount of liquidation damage, they would have left earlier.

On a side note, most of my peers who are currently working for Tier 1 companies e.g. Google/Facebook, are all ahead of me in terms of annual compensation.
meowyy likes this.

Last edited by MoxLotus; 16-02-2020 at 04:35 PM..
MoxLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 12:31 AM   #44

That is probably true for other industry. I am in the IT industy. When Google SG opened engineering office, I had to turn down the opportunity to apply. The pay gap is huge between my sponsoring company and google. After working for them for 3 years with below market salary, I decided to move on and my pay jumped by 100%.

So if you think that the job is good just because it is from a scholarship sponsor, think twice. You may not be seeing the full picture.

I have a few other friends who have taken prestigious overseas scholarship, most of them are just waiting for the bond to be over and move out of their respective organization. If it was not due to the high amount of liquidation damage, they would have left earlier.

On a side note, most of my peers who are currently working for Tier 1 companies e.g. Google/Facebook, are all ahead of me in terms of annual compensation.
The problem is that those candidates that are good enough to get bonded scholarships are also the ones who can easily get much higher salary if they work somewhere else.
Definitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 12:35 AM   #45

Hi guys, for GPA 3.3 from a local poly without a O level cert and what's the chances of entering into the big 3.
I've a friend who entered NTU EEE with 3.39 for last year's intake. No O Level. Your chances are at NTU EEE, MechE, Philosophy. Anywhere else is likely zero chance.
Definitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.