NUS ACCOMODATION (UTOWN RCs/ HALLS / PGPR)

skylarpoh1995

Reaction score
oh nice!! how do you find the labs? edit: wait how you know camp signups will be at the open day?
Last time I went i remember got camps sign up. The labs are quite nice. I've been to both nus and ntu labs. Both are comfortable and nice place to work in I feel. Just that I am not sure where NUS keeps their NMR machines..... The big guns I call it hahaha

seokjinne

Reaction score
Last time I went i remember got camps sign up. The labs are quite nice. I've been to both nus and ntu labs. Both are comfortable and nice place to work in I feel. Just that I am not sure where NUS keeps their NMR machines..... The big guns I call it hahaha

oh crap are you serious haha if i don't go tomorrow will i still be able to sign up for the camps :/ also, that's great since we'll be spending the most time in the labs xD

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Camps sign up should be online,there is a facebook page on the camps under FoS and you can apply even without going for the open house.

I think RCs have the perfect balance between academics and uni life. You get the best of both worlds,if I am not wrong,my senior had to commit to 4 CCAs to stay in uni hall and her results probably take a toll.

I think NUS chem isn't easy,I am currently taking a pre-uni chem module and it's really demanding. A jump from JC chem. It will be good if you can get into RC4 so I can see you. (Just kidding :p) From what I hear from a friend, RC4 interviews are pretty chill and informal,so if you get called up for interviews there,it's almost likely that you will be offered admissions to RC4.

And the thing about getting to other RCs is,from what I know,RC4 is the easiest to get in and it's a huge chance that if you can't get in to RC4,you probably wouldn't get in to other RCs. I wrote my essay in a CAPT-RC4 style,I like the theme of CAPT and the people there,but their academic programme isn't worthy of consideration for me. I prefer systems thinking modules that require us to illustrate information in visual diagrams.

seokjinne

Reaction score
Camps sign up should be online,there is a facebook page on the camps under FoS and you can apply even without going for the open house.

I think RCs have the perfect balance between academics and uni life. You get the best of both worlds,if I am not wrong,my senior had to commit to 4 CCAs to stay in uni hall and her results probably take a toll.

I think NUS chem isn't easy,I am currently taking a pre-uni chem module and it's really demanding. A jump from JC chem. It will be good if you can get into RC4 so I can see you. (Just kidding :p) From what I hear from a friend, RC4 interviews are pretty chill and informal,so if you get called up for interviews there,it's almost likely that you will be offered admissions to RC4.

And the thing about getting to other RCs is,from what I know,RC4 is the easiest to get in and it's a huge chance that if you can't get in to RC4,you probably wouldn't get in to other RCs. I wrote my essay in a CAPT-RC4 style,I like the theme of CAPT and the people there,but their academic programme isn't worthy of consideration for me. I prefer systems thinking modules that require us to illustrate information in visual diagrams.
Oh I just found the facebook page haha thanks!

I agree, and I also heard about the 4 CCAs thing which honestly seems a little crazy to me but I'm sure there are people out there who won't mind being so committed xD. You also made a point with RC4 being the easiest to get in, it's probably true, since it's the newest and not as popular as the other two (which is good for us less competition :')). I also like Tembusu but prefer the modules at RC4, hence my preference.

I also heard getting Chemistry degree in general isn't easy as well, but my passion lies there so, hope i survive!!!

I guess if i get my offer from NUS anytime soon I'll email RC4 asking what's the status of my application? is that a good idea orz. would you email RC4 directly or the Office of Student Affairs though?

skylarpoh1995

Reaction score

my essay was screaming at RC4 directly in the face "PICK MEEEEEEE!!!!!!" hahahaha

The reason I chose RC4 over the others was actually quite simple. I like their theme of system thinking. I thought this would be rather relatable to a chemist in making like me haha.

skylarpoh1995

Reaction score
PSA regarding RC4 interview. I just came back from the open house and managed to speak to some of the RC4 representatives. They said that for the RC4 interviews the main focuses are to see your interest in joining RC4, how can you contribute to RC4 and how can RC4 value add your overall university experience. This is for them to sort out who just want to join to get a place to stay and who are the ones who wants to join RC4 so they can receive a more holistic education from NUS.

Hope this info helps for you guys out there applying for RC4 as well hahaha

Fearah

Reaction score
Got accepted into RC4. Love the modules and not only that, it has the newest facilities and it is the only rc with all the rooms air conditioned :))

seokjinne

Reaction score
Got accepted into RC4. Love the modules and not only that, it has the newest facilities and it is the only rc with all the rooms air conditioned :))

omg!! when did you go for the interview? How do you know you got accepted?

PSA regarding RC4 interview. I just came back from the open house and managed to speak to some of the RC4 representatives. They said that for the RC4 interviews the main focuses are to see your interest in joining RC4, how can you contribute to RC4 and how can RC4 value add your overall university experience. This is for them to sort out who just want to join to get a place to stay and who are the ones who wants to join RC4 so they can receive a more holistic education from NUS.

Hope this info helps for you guys out there applying for RC4 as well hahaha

Thank you!! Hope i hear from them soon..

skylarpoh1995

Reaction score
i applied last year, got acceptance a week after interview. matriculating this year :)
Oh cheyyyy thought u applied this year and got it this year hahaha. That means there is still a chance in which RC4 havent started to call people for interviews!

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh I just found the facebook page haha thanks!

I agree, and I also heard about the 4 CCAs thing which honestly seems a little crazy to me but I'm sure there are people out there who won't mind being so committed xD. You also made a point with RC4 being the easiest to get in, it's probably true, since it's the newest and not as popular as the other two (which is good for us less competition :')). I also like Tembusu but prefer the modules at RC4, hence my preference.

I also heard getting Chemistry degree in general isn't easy as well, but my passion lies there so, hope i survive!!!

I guess if i get my offer from NUS anytime soon I'll email RC4 asking what's the status of my application? is that a good idea orz. would you email RC4 directly or the Office of Student Affairs though?

Another quick update from RC4. I think everyone's application should be processing as of now. I spoke to the representative(Rc4 senior) yesterday and she sounded quite surprised when I mentioned that I haven't gotten my Rc4 offer yet. She, asked me for my name and said that she will inform the Rc4 admissions after the science open house. I also asked her, when is the latest period for Rc4 interviews for first cycle and she mentioned late May. So,I am assuming everyone applying to Rc4, has yet to receive an interview notification.

Agreed with Skylar on the interviews process. I think it's good that the interviews are informal(from what I heard), it's more towards getting to know you as a person similar to Capt, rather than testing your knowledge similar to cinnamon and tembusu.

@seokjinne Actually, it really depends on your purpose of staying at hall. A friend of mine, I met up with during the open house, told me he prefers hall to Rc. I actually asked him why does he think that way. He told me hall is cheaper and also, less commitment since he is planning to stay for a yr. (No need to fret over 4 CCAs)

Got to divert from the thread a bit on this. I was initially considering bio and chem(since NUS allows you to choose your major in late July). My seniors from chem advised me not to take chem and seniors from bio advised me not to take chem. Two sides of the story. :) Managed to interact with a chem senior yesterday and he mentioned the difficulty level of uni chem. Remember JC chem, it's totally different from uni chem. Beer lambert law, spectroscopy mass relative abundance are some of the concepts I learnt in my pre-uni chem module and everyone is dying in spectroscopy in my pre-uni chem module. From our class of 13, no one is intending to major in chem, though there are 3-4 science majors(including me :) ) Another thing that my senior mentioned is, a huge pool of the cohort(100+) changed major every yr from chem to some other major, usually bio or physics. I clarified with my chem prof as to why does this problem occur and she told me that chem is the central science. You have to be good at quantitative(calculations) and qualitative(writing). As people are usually either good at one, it is tough to survive uni chem. I think it is frightening to hear that.(from my experience) Last thing I am going to add is, my chem senior told me that his Final Year Project (Honours) Prof told him that "all of you are either going to research or teaching" In the end,he decided to pursue a career in business instead. From the statistics of chem graduates, only 10% decided to pursue research,so I can imagine how many people struggle to survive labwork there. Though I think research/teaching is going to apply to bio as well,but I am planning to go abroad after local uni,so I am probably not banging my hopes on research/teaching as a future career.

At the end of the day, it's passion that get you through. :) Are you interested in in the pharmaceutical industry or materials sector? Get to know what you want out of the degree before going for it.(think of what you want to work as in the future) A lot of people wanted to test water(didn't know what they want),go in to experience uni chem and ended up getting burnt because they didn't have the passion to learn for interest over grades. I think that's the most important point to take note of.

Enough ramblings of uni chem.Sorry if I was being a little too caught up sharing about my senior and prof advice on uni chem,but I feel like these are the things that prospective chem majors have to know before emabarking on chem in NUS and not many will offer you this perspective before uni starts. If chem is your passion, go for it and stick through it, also think about your career prospects as now is definitely the best time. Prove the Profs wrong if you are interested in a field outside research and teaching!

Back to RC4,I will probably e-mail in late May,since the senior also mentioned the "expected"(can't tell if it's true or not) interview period is late May and since no one has gotten any interview slots yet, I think we just have to wait and don't be too worried unless your application is still processing and everyone is getting their interviews from Rc4 already. :p

Last edited:

skylarpoh1995

Reaction score
Another quick update from RC4. I think everyone's application should be processing as of now. I spoke to the representative(Rc4 senior) yesterday and she sounded quite surprised when I mentioned that I haven't gotten my Rc4 offer yet. She, asked me for my name and said that she will inform the Rc4 admissions after the science open house. I also asked her, when is the latest period for Rc4 interviews for first cycle and she mentioned late May. So,I am assuming everyone applying to Rc4, has yet to receive an interview notification.

Agreed with Skylar on the interviews process. I think it's good that the interviews are informal(from what I heard), it's more towards getting to know you as a person similar to Capt, rather than testing your knowledge similar to cinnamon and tembusu.

@seokjinne Actually, it really depends on your purpose of staying at hall. A friend of mine, I met up with during the open house, told me he prefers hall to Rc. I actually asked him why does he think that way. He told me hall is cheaper and also, less commitment since he is planning to stay for a yr. (No need to fret over 4 CCAs)

Got to divert from the thread a bit on this. I was initially considering bio and chem(since NUS allows you to choose your major in late July). My seniors from chem advised me not to take chem and seniors from bio advised me not to take chem. Two sides of the story. :) Managed to interact with a chem senior yesterday and he mentioned the difficulty level of uni chem. Remember JC chem, it's totally different from uni chem. Beer lambert law, spectroscopy mass relative abundance are some of the concepts I learnt in my pre-uni chem module and everyone is dying in spectroscopy in my pre-uni chem module. From our class of 13, no one is intending to major in chem, though there are 3-4 science majors(including me :) ) Another thing that my senior mentioned is, a huge pool of the cohort(100+) changed major every yr from chem to some other major, usually bio or physics. I clarified with my chem prof as to why does this problem occur and she told me that chem is the central science. You have to be good at quantitative(calculations) and qualitative(writing). As people are usually either good at one, it is tough to survive uni chem. I think it is frightening to hear that.(from my experience) Last thing I am going to add is, my chem senior told me that his Final Year Project (Honours) Prof told him that "all of you are either going to research or teaching" In the end,he decided to pursue a career in business instead. From the statistics of chem graduates, only 10% decided to pursue research,so I can imagine how many people struggle to survive labwork there. Though I think research/teaching is going to apply to bio as well,but I am planning to go abroad after local uni,so I am probably not banging my hopes on research/teaching as a future career.

At the end of the day, it's passion that get you through. :) Are you interested in in the pharmaceutical industry or materials sector? Get to know what you want out of the degree before going for it.(think of what you want to work as in the future) A lot of people wanted to test water(didn't know what they want),go in to experience uni chem and ended up getting burnt because they didn't have the passion to learn for interest over grades. I think that's the most important point to take note of.

Enough ramblings of uni chem.Sorry if I was being a little too caught up sharing about my senior and prof advice on uni chem,but I feel like these are the things that prospective chem majors have to know before emabarking on chem in NUS and not many will offer you this perspective before uni starts. If chem is your passion, go for it and stick through it, also think about your career prospects as now is definitely the best time. Prove the Profs wrong if you are interested in a field outside research and teaching!

Back to RC4,I will probably e-mail in late May,since the senior also mentioned the "expected"(can't tell if it's true or not) interview period is late May and since no one has gotten any interview slots yet, I think we just have to wait and don't be too worried unless your application is still processing and everyone is getting their interviews from Rc4 already. :p

Insightful info you got there man. Alright let me share my experience in chemistry thus far with you guys. For me I come from a polytechnic background and I totally agree with the fact that many chemist either ends up in A) R&D industries or B) Teaching. However, I do feel that those are not the only jobs you can pursue as a chemist. In my opinion, a chemistry degree is a versatile degree to hold as it can allow you to get a job from many different sectors. If you like chemistry then yes go ahead and continue your career in a chemistry related job. Well if you hate chemistry you can choose to go into analytics after that.

Chemistry itself is a discipline that is based on multiple interlinked modules ranging from analytical to fancy stuffs like drug design and discovery! In order for an aspiring chemist to understand what he truly likes it is important for him to go through a diploma/degree. Yes, chemistry is by no means an easy feat but then once again no degree is easy!

And yes, I have to agree to the fact that chemist spends long hours in lab! In my FYP and internship I was fortunate to be selected to do research! One for A*Star and the other with NTU (We used SP lab tho). Both projects requires long hours in the labs and analysing results and re running the experiments to confirm your results.

So for me, what I liked about research was actually the long hours in the labs! This is because I got to play with many fancy equipments that cost a bomb.
Secondly, it also depends on who you work with in a project. For me fortunately, I had amazing teamsters. We had many funny incidents from shattering a test tube to exploding a RBF that contains a super smelly solvent. Those were memorable times!

Ultimately, my advice for anyone who is coming into a chemistry field is to take opinions with a pinch of salt. Yes this field is tough and requires dedication to do well. I myself had been told by seniors before entering polytechnic that chemistry is tough however, I still followed my heart and now chemistry is a passion rather than just a degree that I am chasing after.

PS: my sentences might not make sense sometimes here as I am typing from my phone in my camp during my duty -.- a bit lazy to scroll up to review what I typed so please pardon me HAhahahah

seokjinne

Reaction score
I also had a teacher who told me Chem would be tough, but it's really my passion and there would be nothing else I'd rather do xD I intend to pursue a career in perfumery, hence my choice of degree. I was also from JC, my subject combi being BCMe, and throughout the course of the 2 years, Chemistry was the only subject I enjoyed and felt like the other subjects were pointless, at that point in time I really regretted not choosing to go to poly but I had only decided on this career path in Year 1 of JC. sighs. I also really loved being in the lab, I was always excited for Chemistry lab lessons. tbh idk why I'm justifying my reasons for wanting NUS chem to you guys but since you guys shared I thought I should too xD

Back to RC4, I hope it's true!! but it kinda seems like we ended up competing with people who will apply in the second window, which makes no sense to tbh, if that was the case i would have applied during the second window. oh wells xD

skylarpoh1995

Reaction score
I also had a teacher who told me Chem would be tough, but it's really my passion and there would be nothing else I'd rather do xD I intend to pursue a career in perfumery, hence my choice of degree. I was also from JC, my subject combi being BCMe, and throughout the course of the 2 years, Chemistry was the only subject I enjoyed and felt like the other subjects were pointless, at that point in time I really regretted not choosing to go to poly but I had only decided on this career path in Year 1 of JC. sighs. I also really loved being in the lab, I was always excited for Chemistry lab lessons. tbh idk why I'm justifying my reasons for wanting NUS chem to you guys but since you guys shared I thought I should too xD

Back to RC4, I hope it's true!! but it kinda seems like we ended up competing with people who will apply in the second window, which makes no sense to tbh, if that was the case i would have applied during the second window. oh wells xD

Perfumery quite fun. You would require good sense of smell as well haha. This field is majorly populated by ladies tho xD

darthllord

Reaction score
As far as I've heard from the people in RC4 their interviews are abit later this year than the rest so fret not I'm sure there will alot of updates this week 👍🏼 good luck once again to all of you! Getting called up for the interview is the easy part. Once you go to the interview you will realize how seriously some students take these interviews😂 during my interview there 3 students from law and all of them were dominating the conversation and not allowing others to express their views.

Kuudere

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@skylarpoh1995 Respect your move towards chemistry. You really have the right mindset towards going to chemistry then. It is good to know that you like research and have some research experience before going to NUS chemistry. It will definitely help you be attuned to the research environment in NUS chemistry.

You are really lucky to work in A*Star and NTU,this is something that 80-90% of the students entering uni,wouldn't have the opportunity do prior to coming in. It's better because you will complain less about the long hours of research(6hrs lab work each session) and willn't compare your life with your peers from other majors. And yep,the grueling lab reports. Done my share in my current chem pre-uni module and one more to come.

That being said,the theory aspect of chemistry is indeed,challenging and is worthy of fine consideration. I guess that's when you have to rely on seniors for guidance and community for advice. Hopefully,you will be able to meet an amazing community of students as your peer group,if you can sign up for camps in uni.Since you are still in NS,I will highly recommend you going for just the Chem Camp from 21-22 July(1 Day leave/off :p ) and the Rc camp if you get in. I am only going for the 2. (my major camp and the Rc) The science camp and science O-week are entire faculty-based. Though all camps are optional,these two are definitely worth.

All the best and hope to see you if you get in RC4~

@seokjinne Glad to know that you know what you want out of your uni experience. Remember,this aspiration of yours will get you through the difficult times. Community definitely makes it a whole lot bearable and your friends going through the similar tough experience as you,will only be able to empathise with the difficulty in the uni modules. At the end of the day, grades do matter and through my pre-uni module experience(non-bell curve) ,there's always 1-2 out of the class 10-12 who will screw up big time-do assignments late,don't hand it in or can't be bothered to attend lectures/tutorials. So,having the right attitude already gets you to average in the common semester of bell curve. And of course the unreachable top 10%,who finds everything a piece of cake.

As far as I know,we will probably not compete with second window as their application closes on 5th June. So we are still competing within the first window and traditionally first window,tends to have higher success rate because most of the places will be filled in first window,leaving lesser places for those in second window. Think of it as reward for applying early :p

@darthllord You applied for tembusu? The interviews for Rc4 is different from tembusu. You don't compete with each other over the interviews. The interviews are more individualised and informal because each person's opinions are valued. I understand why tembusu conducts the interviews in that manner,because the modules are seminar-based,but I feel that by doing so,it gives me the impression that it's highly competitive and people who are less vocal but have insightful thoughts,are not able to bring across their opinions. And yep,one of the main reasons why I only considered Rc4 and Capt is because I don't have to face the interviews in tembusu and tembusu has been a hot favorite amongst students from law and medicine. It only makes it all the more harder to get into. I wanted to get into Rc with the least resistance possible and chose Rc4 instead.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.