HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Nus mechanical engineering vs ntu accountancy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

Nus mechanical engineering vs ntu accountancy

Having a hard time deciding between this 2 courses! Can anyone in these courses/field provide insights? �
Ciaozzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #2

Hmm maybe first have insight which parts of each of those courses you enjoy? Another thing is whether University easier to travel to or other stuff?
Pokraisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

A lot of difference lei, maybe do some research into future career path and see what sound more interesting to you?
yodatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #4

both also slow farmer but sure got job
see which one u like la

so big difference, if u ask acc vs biz still can compare

Last edited by silentears; 15-05-2018 at 08:02 PM..
silentears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 01:30 AM   #5

I have been reading up on the courses and prospects but its so tough to choose!
Nus ME
Pros
-NUS is much more convenient! Kent ridge vs isolated ulu pioneer boonlay. Ill be staying in hall most likely so it might not affect me too much
-Will be more relatable as i took PCME in jc so concepts taught might be easier to absorb
-much higher starting pay of ~3500 according to GES(which might be skewed?)
-engineers highly sought after due to their analytical skills and can join most industries?

Cons
-one of the toughest degree to study w high dropout rates? Really difficult to score
-very content heavy and the whole week will be filled with lectures tutorials and labs
-Insane bell curve due to it being a mugger course? and the amount of scholars in it
-career progression is on the slower side?

Ntu ACC
Pros
-3 years instead of 4! 1 year headstart in career and 1 year of uni fees saved!
-workload not as heavy as eng
-steady career progression?
-bellcurve not as steep as that of in NUS eng?

Cons
-Multiple presentations and projects making grades more volatile(no foolproof steps and answers that will grant you the grades unlike eng)
-much more foreign concepts and might be difficult to catch on
-starting salary is really low ~2800 according to GES which is usually inflated. Thus actual salary is even lower?
-most importantly, many stories on how accounting jobs have no work life balance(start at 8am end at 1-2am)and thus slogging our prime away!

These are some of the few points i have been pondering over. Please correct me if any of the points are inaccurate! Really need advices on these 2 really different fields haha thanks!
Ciaozzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 02:58 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is start salary a good judgement of career prospect?
regarding accounting foreign concepts, wouldn't everyone face the same issue?
accounting job there are up and down time much like any engineering jobs depending on industry.

I know friends in Audit who works like 8am to like 3am during end of yr financial. other times not intense but they salary increment seems great seem to be much better than Engineering. but with career prospects.. if U jump ranks like crazy as u know how to work the system. Both are great!
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.