HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

proper advice to a 19yo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

proper advice to a 19yo

About me: 3rd year in poly[19YO], studying business IT diploma, enlisting next year. Not gonna type in proper form because thoughts are everywhere in my brain.

Problem: hate studying IT, interested in business(marketing), passion and interest in social science, planning to study a degree related to social science (sociology, psychology), CGPA at sem 5 is 3.11, currently serving 6 months internship(final sem), most likely getting 4.0 this sem so final cgpa during graduation should be 3.3?? i dont mind going to any university as long as its autonomous(family expectations as well as uni accreditations)

I am interested in human resource, social work, or basically anything thats people oriented, dont know my enlistment date, most likely similar to usual poly kids (around june-october depending?), would say i'm intellectually driven.

Emailed to ask about interning as a social worker, turns out all slots taken till june 2019 LOL. I asked my current interning company if i can intern in the HR department after i graduate from poly(from march to enlistment month), they said they can bring me in so theres a high chance.

What should I do now to get the degree I want? i genuinely want to study now since i have my own goals and found my passion but my grades in sch are **** and i dont have cca. Should I intern in the HR department or go out and find part time job(no recognition but prob can earn more money). How should I even improve myself to improve my portfolio such that universities will be interested in me? I'm aiming to be chosen and interviewed for the discretionary admission slots.

I know my grades are half-assed but I have outside-school achievements, i held 2 part time jobs(4 days a week) while studying this 3 years, i also managed my friendships, relationship, and sports (2hours, 5 days a week), as well as external learning courses. In my part time job I took over the role as a team leader for 1 month and managed a whole department myself, i also have been offered to be a swimming instructor assistant but i left because it was during my o levels. I believe its considered good time management considering I managed quite a number of things. I am also good in managing my own emotions considering i havent overstressed myself once and i learnt how to manage myself, i believe its discipline?

I'm tired of being an average guy, i want to do something that I enjoy and still earn a decent amount in the future. Right now, I want to study the degree I want and do whatever it takes to succeed, its just that i do not know where to begin, i'll appreciate if someone can guide me. Thanks!!
qwenttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Great Supremacy Member

if you're interested in social work, perhaps u might want to start to email some VWO/NGO/non profits, to check if they need part time staff for next year so you can get 1 foot into the social service field.

meanwhile you can apply into SUSS's part time Bach. in Social Work program while you are in NS, and defer the place until you've completed NS. I believe the timeline should fit you nicely.

The work experience in a VWO/NGO/Non profit should come in handy when you apply into SUSS.

The reason I mention the part time program is because once you've started the program, you can use your diploma and apply into some VWO/NGO/Non profit jobs in at admin role (mention you are currently studying to be a social worker) it should put you in good stead.

here's some examples of places that you can consider so you can gain on the ground experience while you study.

https://e-services.ncss.gov.sg/Caree...d-000c296ee030

https://e-services.ncss.gov.sg/Caree...d-000c296ee030

keep in mind, studying counselling =! social work

social work degrees give you more mobility compared to counselling
Old 28-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

The reason I mention the part time program is because once you've started the program, you can use your diploma and apply into some VWO/NGO/Non profit jobs in at admin role (mention you are currently studying to be a social worker) it should put you in good stead.
does that mean i shall work full time in some admin role, while studying a part time social work degree, then once i get the degree i shall be a full time social worker/counselor?

Sometimes i feel like i am better as a counselor bc of how well i can relate to them, but this is a path that i will have to find out. Do you think a degree in social work can let me step into the path of becoming a counselor/social worker in different industries such as hospital/family etc. ?
Old 28-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Great Supremacy Member

does that mean i shall work full time in some admin role, while studying a part time social work degree, then once i get the degree i shall be a full time social worker/counselor?

Sometimes i feel like i am better as a counselor bc of how well i can relate to them, but this is a path that i will have to find out. Do you think a degree in social work can let me step into the path of becoming a counselor/social worker in different industries such as hospital/family etc. ?
to answer your first Question - Yes, u should be working in a VWO in some capacity full time if possible while u study part time for your SUSS Bach SW degree. it will take 3 years to complete.

to answer your second question, its abit confusing. bare with me.

to 'be a social worker' in SG, u need to have a social work licence. To get this licence, u must either have done the following,

1) graduate from a social work program in SG (NUS or SUSS) or
2) graduate from a social work program overseas that's accredited there.

Read more here.

https://accreditation.sasw.org.sg/

Social workers can become counsellors, or do case work and counselling.

Now if you studied counselling, eg, a Bach in Counselling. You won't be able to register as a social worker. you can become a member of the Singapore Counselling Association (SAC). They call it memberships. This is not a counselling licence like a social worker's licence.

http://sacsingapore.org/membership/m...ip-categories/

You can read more on how to become a social worker here

https://www.sasw.org.sg/index.php?op...207&Itemid=212

What's the big deal about all this?

Many jobs in SG that deals with case work and counselling require a licence social worker. (you can check the jobs listed in the NCSS website job portals)

Having a counselling/psychology degree would put u at a disadvantage in the social service field (like working at a hospital etc) as compared to studying social work.

progression wise, many people who studied a bach in social work, would do a masters in counselling to enhance their skillset. that way they enjoy the best of both worlds. having a social work licence and being a member of SAC.
Old 29-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #5

omg thank u so much u literally just helped clear all my doubts and now i can see the whole picture more clearly!!! are u a social worker??? i would like to find out social worker's personal experiences as well.
Old 29-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #6

you can try applying suss hr, no?
wassupcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm tired of being an average guy, i want to do something that I enjoy and still earn a decent amount in the future. Right now, I want to study the degree I want and do whatever it takes to succeed, its just that i do not know where to begin, i'll appreciate if someone can guide me. Thanks!!
What is decent amount? Comparable to engineers? Comparable to biz/It?
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.