HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

WHICH SHOULD HAVE A HIGHER PERCENTAGE IN ASSESSMENT? EXAMS OR ASSIGNMENTS??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #1

WHICH SHOULD HAVE A HIGHER PERCENTAGE IN ASSESSMENT? EXAMS OR ASSIGNMENTS??

Hi guys,
I want to know your opinion on this issue as I want to give my feedback to my Uni that Assignments should have either an equal or slightly higher percentage than exam. Right now most of the modules in my course, Mechanical Engineering@ UON in PSB Academy, grades us either mostly or entirely by exams,tests & quizzes.

Yes Exams are important in measuring our ability to apply the topics taught in school. However I find this wrong as the the grade given to us students is supposed to indicate on how much we know about the topic, and not how much we studied for a particular paper which cannot possibly cover everything and overlooking how much we actually know about the topic from the time and effort we put into doing so. Not to mention that exams are difficult to score.

Also hoping students and educators from other Unis (SIM,NTU,NUS etc..) Unis to share your opinions on this topic.
Shaunsforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #2

Imo assessment is the best way. However my opinion is that cheating may be involved when it comes to assessment. Example, student may collectively work on an assessment and submit as individuals work
twinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
Master Member

Imo assessment is the best way. However my opinion is that cheating may be involved when it comes to assessment. Example, student may collectively work on an assessment and submit as individuals work
Ya for exam,is okay,but sometimes we have the knowledge but momentarily forget the concept. Real life context is more to application of knowledge etc.. like
you wont go tell ur boss, boss before i do job analysis,i want to recite to u out the 7 steps first,if not cannot do. aiya boss,i forget the 3rd step, u let me read first..
there is one particular module that i took last sem, they always state the factor, steps for u regardless which semester paper, so u wont need to memorize the "Headers" in the tb.. u just straight away apply. Thus, ur true score for exam is what u get, and not because u momentarily forget the "header" den cannot do,but actually, u have the knowlege of it

This sem i took one module called assessment but everything the sch assess us is contradicting/totally opposite of what the module teach. I went to use the concept and ask the teacher regarding how sch assess us, he actually agreed.lol
divasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #4

Yeap totally agree with you on that. Cheating is common. Luckily my University has their own conducting officer who overlooks plagiarism cases and they are very strict about it. Once about 1/4 of us were charged for using the same links to do our report. In the end they " let us off" by allowing us to re-submit but only getting striclty 50% of the marks, regardless of the work we put in. It was ridiculous really.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

Ya for exam,is okay,but sometimes we have the knowledge but momentarily forget the concept. Real life context is more to application of knowledge etc.. like
you wont go tell ur boss, boss before i do job analysis,i want to recite to u out the 7 steps first,if not cannot do. aiya boss,i forget the 3rd step, u let me read first..
there is one particular module that i took last sem, they always state the factor, steps for u regardless which semester paper, so u wont need to memorize the "Headers" in the tb.. u just straight away apply. Thus, ur true score for exam is what u get, and not because u momentarily forget the "header" den cannot do,but actually, u have the knowlege of it

This sem i took one module called assessment but everything the sch assess us is contradicting/totally opposite of what the module teach. I went to use the concept and ask the teacher regarding how sch assess us, he actually agreed.lol
Yes I think I understand what you mean. The working life is not really similar to exams but they are effective in testing the student's ability of applying the concept.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.