HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SIT vs Overseas Uni?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #31
Master Member

Actually sim university is still sim unversity. The one that change to name suss was UNIsim NOT sim university. They wanted to make a distinction between themselves from sim university thus,changed from unisim to suss. The one that offers rmit, uol etc is still called sim unversity.
Actually you're wrong as well. The one that offers distance learning courses is SIMGE. Before SUSS, it was known as SIM University, which offers its own accredited degrees.
SevenSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #32
Master Member

Actually you're wrong as well. The one that offers distance learning courses is SIMGE. Before SUSS, it was known as SIM University, which offers its own accredited degrees.
then where's unisim? the one that is printed on everyone's cert before it became suss, put in graduate's resume etc . Because when ask around, usually people will say, " oh ya, i was from suss, formerly known as unisim".

Unless u meant it that way as unisim is under a bigger group called sim unversity.
https://digitalsenior.sg/unisim-coll...-need-to-know/

Last edited by divasion; 11-02-2019 at 10:22 PM..
divasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #33

then where's unisim? the one that is printed on everyone's cert before it became suss, put in graduate's resume etc . Because when ask around, usually people will say, " oh ya, i was from suss, formerly known as unisim".

Unless u meant it that way as unisim is under a bigger group called sim unversity.
https://digitalsenior.sg/unisim-coll...-need-to-know/
same la. no need word for word. know what we referring to can already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_University

"SIM University (Abbreviation: UniSIM) was a private university in Singapore from 2005 to 2017"

Last edited by cherryblossoms; 11-02-2019 at 10:49 PM..
cherryblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

Let do it objectively.

From my best understanding, only NTU & NUS are recognized by PEB for engineering degree courses offered in Singapore. Is this true or not true?

From my best understanding from your comment, it seem like SIT- UoG engineering is not recognized at this point of time. So it is not recognized. Is this true or not true?

So can you share with us 'SIT is getting recognition for this UoG engineering' from where (Eg: professional bodies like PEB) cause I did not heard this news from any official source? If you are unable to support this comment, than you are actually the one who is spreading a lot of fake news.

i've been reading your posts in this section for a very long time and realised you've been spreading a lot of fake news. your own opinion and what u think is correct to not reflective of the university stand at all.

SIT has been in the process of gettings recognition for this UoG engineering and with processes it takes time.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #35

Let do it objectively.

From my best understanding, only NTU & NUS are recognized by PEB for engineering degree courses offered in Singapore. Is this true or not true?

From my best understanding from your comment, it seem like SIT- UoG engineering is not recognized at this point of time. So it is not recognized. Is this true or not true?

So can you share with us 'SIT is getting recognition for this UoG engineering' from where (Eg: professional bodies like PEB) cause I did not heard this news from any official source? If you are unable to support this comment, than you are actually the one who is spreading a lot of fake news.

agree +1. last time i read from a forum someone from sutd says they also getting recognition from peb. many years liao still nothing LOL.

Posted from PCWX using SM-G955F
Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #36
Master Member

same la. no need word for word. know what we referring to can already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_University

"SIM University (Abbreviation: UniSIM) was a private university in Singapore from 2005 to 2017"
Yep like what cherryblossoms said. Because too many people still mistake unisim and simge together before suss came about.
SevenSeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #37

I got a diploma in electronics and computer engineering 3.4 gpa. I applied for NTU, NUS, SIT. I currently have an offer from university of Queensland computer science.

Should i wait for local u got offer anot first(SIT)? or should i just accept UQ its 2 years(2020 start). If i do choese UQ cfm will try to get PR liao. If local likely work in sg unless i can find job with sit cs(UofG) to find job in Europe/USA? so what should i do would going UQ be a better choice?

NUS
computer science
information system
information security

NTU
computer science
data science and artificial intelligence

SIT
computer science(UofG)
Information and Communications Technology (Software Engineering)
Information and Communications Technology (Information Security)
cowyblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #38
Arch-Supremacy Member

If u study in Germany maybe easier to find in Europe.
Brexit now itís hard, 2020-2022 no idea if trend continues
Fresh grad whatís the reason to hire u if they can hire locally?
OZ finding a job in 2022 just try your best. Most tech or startup iirc in Sydney or Melbourne.
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #39

Just want to point out that both, SIT and SUTD are really accredited (SIT still under Provision) with EAB.

EAB is recognised by PEB. Although it is true that PEB recognises only NUS and NTU courses, they also recognises courses that are listed by EAB.

I had already checked with both Unis and also PEB. PEB replied that they do recognise degrees for P.E if it is under the list with EAB.

For now, SUTD's courses has been recognised by EAB. Whereas for SIT, their local-conferred degrees like ICT and SIE (Land only) is under provision now. Meaning after a few batches graduated, they will be given full accreditation like SUTD.

So yes, although SIT and SUTD is not under part I listed by PEB, they are recognised by EAB. Which therefore, meet the requirement of PEB as PEB recognises EAB's accreditation. Refer to: "PART IV DIVISION I" of PEB.

Links:

"PART IV DIVISION I" - which states PEB recognises EAB's accredited course for registration. Hence, SIT and SUTD's courses that are listed by EAB will be recognised by PEB.
https://www.peb.gov.sg/html/pe_approved.html

"EAB's recognition of SIT and SUTD"
- Which therefore allows recognition by PEB for registration.
Click under Washinton Accord tab A and B to look at the list.
https://www.ies.org.sg/Accreditation/EAB10249

So yes. Some Engineering courses by SUTD and SIT that are listed by EAB of IES are eligible for registration with PEB as PE.

I hope this clears the confusion that has been lurking around this forum for all these year. Please let me know if I made any mistakes.

If it is necessary, I hope we can start a new thread letting other students of our country know about these. So we can clear the misconception once and for all. Probably even help saving the kids' money to go overseas. Haha.

Have a nice day people!

Last edited by DollyAiko; 12-02-2019 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Added the link. Ops.
DollyAiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #40

Just want to point out that both, SIT and SUTD are really accredited (SIT still under Provision) with EAB.

EAB is recognised by PEB. Although it is true that PEB recognises only NUS and NTU courses, they also recognises courses that are listed by EAB.

I had already checked with both Unis and also PEB. PEB replied that they do recognise degrees for P.E if it is under the list with EAB.

For now, SUTD's courses has been recognised by EAB. Whereas for SIT, their local-conferred degrees like ICT and SIE (Land only) is under provision now. Meaning after a few batches graduated, they will be given full accreditation like SUTD.

So yes, although SIT and SUTD is not under part I listed by PEB, they are recognised by EAB. Which therefore, meet the requirement of PEB as PEB recognises EAB's accreditation. Refer to: "PART IV DIVISION I" of PEB.

Links:

"PART IV DIVISION I" - which states PEB recognises EAB's accredited course for registration. Hence, SIT and SUTD's courses that are listed by EAB will be recognised by PEB.

So yes. Engineering courses (that are listed by EAB) by SUTD and SIT that are listed by EAB of IES are eligible for registration.

I hope this clears the confusion that has been lurking around this forum for all these year. Please let me know if I made any mistakes.

Have a nice day people!
Hi thanks for the information.

You see very informed about it so can I ask if graduates from SIT joint degree is less valuable than a purely SIT conferred one? Currently GES shows that SIT OU salary is pretty decent and there is not much information about the purely SIT ones because maybe the batch have not graduated yet.
WantToGoSIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #41

Links:

"EAB's recognition of SIT and SUTD" - Which therefore allows recognition by PEB for registration.

So yes. Some Engineering courses (that are listed by EAB) by SUTD and SIT that are listed by EAB of IES are eligible for registration with PEB as PE.

If it is necessary, I hope we can start a new thread letting other students of our country know about these. So we can clear the misconception once and for all. Probably even help saving the kids' money to go overseas. Haha.

Have a nice day people!

can u repost this in the Professional engineer thread which is in this same sub forum? then migrate there chatchat with kyoji or maybe ottoke mod can help lol

Posted from PCWX using SM-G955F
Old 12-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #42

Hi thanks for the information.

You see very informed about it so can I ask if graduates from SIT joint degree is less valuable than a purely SIT conferred one? Currently GES shows that SIT OU salary is pretty decent and there is not much information about the purely SIT ones because maybe the batch have not graduated yet.

Sorry I am really not sure. I pretty much only got the idea of the registration process (which seems like a big deal for a lot of students)...

SIT's Joint or OU I am not sure. But if what u are seeking at the end of the day is registration as a Professional Engineer, then I would strongly suggest going only to courses that are listed by EAB or PEB.

As I had stated previously, it has been made official by PEB that they recognises courses that are listed by EAB.

Valuable or not is really up to the employers and how the grads do by themselves. So, I really can't comment much on that. All the best!
Old 13-02-2019, 01:23 AM   #43
Arch-Supremacy Member

Some of the PEIs like PSB also offered engineering degree that are awarded from universities from both EAB & PEB Sg list. So SIT-OU has the same situation as these PEIs.

The reason why these degree are not recognized by PEB Sg ( https://www.peb.gov.sg/html/pe_approved.html ) is because... please read WOT...

-----------------------------

Definitions
2. In this Notification —
"on-campus study" , in relation to any qualification, means attendance on the home campus of any university, college or institution specified in the Schedule that awards that qualification, and —
(a) includes attendance, as part of a student exchange programme, on the home campus of any other university, college or institution specified in the Schedule, or on such other campus as may be approved by the Board; but
(b) does not include any study through —
(i) a distance learning programme; or
(ii) a twinning programme conducted wholly or partly by a university, college or an institution that is not specified in the Schedule, unless such twinning programme is approved by the Board;
"post-graduate qualification acceptable to the Board" , in relation to a qualification awarded upon graduation after the completion of an undergraduate engineering degree programme, means —
(a) a Master degree or an equivalent post-graduate degree in the same branch of engineering from any university, college or institution specified in the Schedule, with relevant majors or electives, and which is awarded upon graduation after the completion of not less than one year of full-time on-campus study, or not less than 2 years of part-time on-campus study; or
(b) a degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in the same branch of engineering from any university, college or institution approved by the Board;
"undergraduate engineering degree programme" means an undergraduate engineering degree programme with majors or electives relevant to any branch of engineering prescribed under section 10(8) of the Act.
Qualifications specified in Schedule
3.—(1) Any qualification specified in Part I of the Schedule shall be an approved qualification for the purposes of section 15(1)(a) of the Act, only if it relates to a branch of engineering prescribed under section 10(8) of the Act.
(2) Any qualification specified in Parts II, III, IV and V of the Schedule shall be an approved qualification for the purposes of section 15(1)(a) of the Act, only if it relates to a branch of engineering prescribed under section 10(8) of the Act, and if such of the following conditions as may be applicable are satisfied:
(a) in the case of a qualification specified in Part II of the Schedule, the qualification is awarded upon graduation after the completion of a full-time undergraduate engineering degree programme of not less than 4 years, or of an equivalent programme approved by the Board;
(b) in the case of a qualification specified in Part III of the Schedule, the qualification —
(i) is awarded upon graduation after the completion of a full-time undergraduate engineering degree programme of not less than 4 years, or of an equivalent programme approved by the Board (not being a programme referred to in sub-paragraph (ii)); or
(ii) is awarded upon graduation after the completion of a full-time undergraduate engineering degree programme of not less than 3 years, and is supplemented by a post-graduate qualification acceptable to the Board;
(c) in the case of a qualification alluded to in Division I of Part IV of the Schedule —
(i) the qualification is awarded upon graduation after the completion of a full-time undergraduate engineering degree programme of not less than 4 years;
(ii) the qualification is accredited by the accrediting organisation as fully meeting the academic requirements for registration as a professional engineer; and
(iii) the qualification is supplemented by a post-graduate qualification acceptable to the Board, if it is awarded before the date specified in the third column of that Division, unless it is a qualification specified in Division II of that Part or alluded to in Division III or IV of that Part;
(d) in the case of a qualification alluded to in Division I of Part V of the Schedule —
(i) the qualification is awarded upon graduation after the completion of a full-time undergraduate engineering degree programme of not less than 3 years;
(ii) the qualification is accredited by the accrediting organisation either as fully meeting the academic requirements for registration as a chartered engineer, or as meeting the academic requirements for registration as a chartered engineer subject to further learning; and
(iii) the qualification is supplemented by a post-graduate qualification acceptable to the Board, if —
(A) it is awarded before the date specified in the third column of that Division, unless it is a qualification specified in Division II of that Part; or
(B) it is accredited as meeting the academic requirements for registration as a chartered engineer subject to further learning;
(e) at least one-half of the total modular credits or academic units required for graduation in the undergraduate engineering degree programme for the qualification has been obtained through on-campus study; and
(f) if the qualification has been obtained partly on account of advanced standing credits awarded for any other qualification —
(i) that other qualification must be approved by the Board; and
(ii) the advanced standing credits must not exceed one-half of the total modular credits or academic units required for graduation in the undergraduate engineering degree programme for the qualification.

In short, PEIs & SIT-OU did not meet PEB Sg requirement of completion of a full-time undergraduate engineering degree programme for certain years of duration and these engineering degree programme are a distance learning programme; or a twinning programme conducted wholly or partly by a university, college or an institution.

For EAB ( https://www.ies.org.sg/Tenant/C00000...Aug%202018.pdf ), I found this interesting statement:

The academic programme should be equivalent to course work of a 4-year fulltime programme. A one-year full-time study shall be taken to be equivalent to 32 semester credit hours or 25% of total credits for degree programme, whichever is less.

Almost the same as PEB Sg, PEIs & SIT-OU did not meet EAB requirement of completion of a full-time undergraduate engineering degree programme for certain years of duration.

Links:

So yes. Some Engineering courses by SUTD and SIT that are listed by EAB of IES are eligible for registration with PEB as PE.

Have a nice day people!
Old 13-02-2019, 01:28 AM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE MY POST

Hello all, would like to help provide some updated information.

Disclaimer: All information provided are to the best of my knowledge and might contain mistakes. Please feel free to point out my mistakes and I will correct them accordingly.

SIT & UoG have Joint-Degree Programme AND also Degrees which SIT PARTNERS with UoG to deliver the programme, aka UoG is SIT's partner Overseas University (OU).

One example of SIT-UoG Joint-Degree Programme is Bachelor of Science with Honours in Nursing. https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...rammes/nursing

One example of UoG Degree which SIT PARTNER with is Bachelor of Science with Honours in Computing Science. https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...er-science-uog

Fact: Degrees which SIT partners with its Overseas University (OU) e.g. UoG are conferred by the OU. Students under the SIT partnership with UoG will receive the exact same certs as students who study in University of Glasgow receives.

For Joint-Degrees programmes by SIT-UoG, I cannot remember students will receive two separate certs or one cert bearing both university's names. Concerned individuals should contact the school to verify.

Starting AY2019/2020 (This year onwards) all Degrees that SIT Partners with UoG to offer in Singapore will no longer be available. All 5 degrees programme will all be fully converted into SIT-UoG Joint-Degree Programme (This will not affect or have any changes to current on-going cohort and students. Only future enrolled students).

Source: https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/dig...d-ict-sectors/

Current UoG degrees partnered with SIT (Last batch AY2018/2019)
Computing Science, BSc (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...er-science-uog
Aeronautical Engineering, BEng (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...al-engineering
Aerospace Systems, BEng (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...ospace-systems
Mechanical Design Engineering, BEng (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...gn-engineering
Mechatronics, BEng (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...s/mechatronics

Existing SIT-UoG Joint-Degree Programmes
Nursing, BSc (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...rammes/nursing
Civil Engineering, BEng (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...il-engineering

New SIT-UoG Joint-Degree Programmes
Computing Science, BSc (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...puting-science
Aerospace Engineering, BEng (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...ce-engineering
Mechanical Engineering, BEng (Hons) - https://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/und...al-engineering

From here on, I am unable to comment or provide information regarding UoG's Engineering programmes. I have been around long enough to see familiar names talking about the same issues about EAB, PEB etc, over and over again and therefore do not wish to participate in these here.

In response to thread poster's question about Computing Science, let me shed some light.

Difference between past UoG-CS and the new SIT-UoG CS degree:.

Past (These information should not matter anymore to new students enrolling. Just for information)
Duration - 2 years programme locally. The same degree will take you 4 years in University of Glasgow, Scotland UK. Locally, all University of Glasgow Singapore (UGS) students in CS start off at Year 3 curriculum equivalent of our UoG counterparts. Because of this, there was very strict entry requirements that mostly only students with relevant Diplomas stand a higher chance to enroll into this programme. I believe current Year 4 and Year 3 cohort are 99% Poly students. Simply because JC students would not have the foundation required to delve into Year 3 straight.
Academic Calendar style - Semester.
Overseas Immersion Programme (OIP) - Yes, 4 weeks compulsory to stay and study at University of Glasgow, Scotland UK. To undertake a module, 10 credits unit.
SIT's Integrated Work Study Programme (IWSP) - No.
Grading - Most are 20% Assessed Coursework (Assignments) 80% Exams. With some special exceptions like Team Project 3 (30 credit units, year 3), Final year project 4 (40 credit units, year 4).
Exams - Taken yearly. 8 papers slap your face at once.
Bell curve - None (That is what they say)

New (These information might still be subject to changes and should not be taken as concrete. For more information I suggest interested individuals contact the respective school departments and enquire more.)
Duration - 3 Years programme. Follow SIT's own conferred Degrees programme Trimesters style of academic calendar.
Academic Calendar - Trimester style, follow standard SIT's own conferred degrees.
Overseas Immersion Programme (OIP) - Yes. I heard will be shortened to 3 weeks. Still compulsory.
SIT's Integrated Work Study Programme (IWSP) - Yes, I heard compulsory.
Grading - Some changes to be expected. To what extent, I dont know.
Exams - Taken right after every Trimester.
Bell curve - ?

My own personal thoughts are, in the current degree programme, the Professors say they do not have authority to modify or alter any module's content. Basically we learn whatever the students at UoG learn and we follow their academic calendar and schedule on exams.

With the new Joint Degree programmes, there have been significant modifications done to the programme curriculum. You can visit the above urls and take a look for yourself.

We do have a mix of Professors who are from University of Glasgow (they fly over here to teach), University of Glasgow Singapore Professors, and also SIT Professors who are from SIT-ICT.

Please kindly refrain from quoting my post, thank you all.
wizardmao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 01:30 AM   #45

Yup. Also, for SIT SIE (Land) graduates to register for PE, they have to subsequently take up the 4th year Master of Engineering Technology in Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Land) to be eligible for PE registration. That is why under EAB, the SIT SIE (Land) states Master AND BEng for that course.

So in other words, sadly, only courses listed by EAB meets the requirement of PEB for PE registration.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.