HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SMU Information Systems Interview

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #286

Whole interview process as of 080413

ok guys, gonna share with you my experience. i can say it's kind of fun during the interview itself as u get to listen other ppl's opinion. and i assure you everyone has their way of thinking. no right and wrong.

so firstly, you'll be given a paper to write down all your strength talents motivation leadership and so on, basically list an example of each quality. next, instead of an article, it has been changed to some individual project thingy where u have to come up with an idea to make a website and you have to draw it and like explain to the prof what are your strategies in drawing customers and stuff.(my topic was on travel agencies)
and then lastly they ask you to analyse an estimation question.
this whole half hr u haven even see the profs yet!

nxt you will then get to see them and then they'll start by asking u to present your ideas. nxt comes the estimation question like how many public bus stop in singapore(again). then comes q and a where u ask them and they ask you stuff.

just talk and talk only. and a few laughters. good luck to the rest taking the interview! typed this after i got home from it. hoping for the best.
Golden_Fox likes this.
snsdFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #287

ok guys, gonna share with you my experience. i can say it's kind of fun during the interview itself as u get to listen other ppl's opinion. and i assure you everyone has their way of thinking. no right and wrong.

so firstly, you'll be given a paper to write down all your strength talents motivation leadership and so on, basically list an example of each quality. next, instead of an article, it has been changed to some individual project thingy where u have to come up with an idea to make a website and you have to draw it and like explain to the prof what are your strategies in drawing customers and stuff.(my topic was on travel agencies)
and then lastly they ask you to analyse an estimation question.
this whole half hr u haven even see the profs yet!

nxt you will then get to see them and then they'll start by asking u to present your ideas. nxt comes the estimation question like how many public bus stop in singapore(again). then comes q and a where u ask them and they ask you stuff.

just talk and talk only. and a few laughters. good luck to the rest taking the interview! typed this after i got home from it. hoping for the best.
Are you from JC or poly? Do post when you receive the offer
MrConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #288

Anyone got a confirmed offer yet? Seriously, the interviewers might grill you but the worst part is waiting for application status confirmation.

For prospective interviewees - think of IT not as a technical skill, but as a means to achieve business objectives. Look at the SMU website for past year projects and you have an idea of what the course is looking for.
DEATHFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #289

My friend shared the interview experience(2014) with me. Here's the geist of what happened. Hope it helps future applicants!

Before the Interview
1. You wait in lobby then after all interviewees arrive, you enter a small room. A senior/prof will guide you.

2. A write-up form will be given to you. There are traits/qualities and description columns. Basically list a detailed example of each quality. The qualities might differ each year but you can refer to SMU SIS admissions page to prepare for the example/trait. Usually on curiosity, teamwork, etc. Also you write down 3 qns to ask the profs. Write fast.

3. Pass supporting documents, both the real and the photocopied for verification. After a short period of time, they would return you the copies for your keeping.

4. Case Study (planning)
 basically about finding a solution to a ‘problem’
 it differs every interview so there's no pt trying to guess the case study qn
 there will be guiding pointers/qns to help you derive your solution
 15 min so write fast
 Given A4 sized paper for planning. Be neat when writing since you are using this for presentation.
 Toughest part of the entire interview, main thing is to think rationally and try to avoid obvious flaws in your plan because it will make your life tough in the presentation later

The Main Interview (in a bigger room)

1. Case Study(presentation)
 just go up to the projector and place your paper there and start presenting.
 ~4 min
 expect questions to be asked from the interviewers for them to understand your solutions better...usually they ask because your solution is not feasible in an aspect or your solution's objective is not clearly outlined. Hence the warning written earlier for planning stage.

2. Local Context Estimation Question
 1 out of 16 qns that gets chosen
 best to provide figures while you explain. pls be smart and use easy figures.
 be able to explain your assumptions and process of getting your particular answer. the answer is not crucial but the explanation is.
 required to write your answer + explanation on paper. then state your thought processes out loud while the interviewers are going through it
 ~3 min

3. Q&A session
 ask the profs the 3 qns or less. try to ask them rather than them prompting you, you'll give a gd impression and they tend to not ask you the harder qn later when its their time to question you.
 please do not ask questions which could be answered on their website
 be familiar /w your SMU submission's achievements section and your write-up form as they may or may not ask you qns on that
 The interviewers may ask you general questions to know you better. Usually “Why SMU” and “Why SIS” and "Whats your worst subject?", "Whats your weakness and your strength(in context of SIS)?"

-------
Final Word: Be yourself is common advice but to be honest, in an interview, the most important thing is to be street-smart. This means your interest level must be visible(no matter how bored you are with the other interviewee's speech, look @ them/the prof and feign interest) & be good at thinking on your feet/improvising. Because the profs do glance at what you are up to even when you are not saying anything. Ultimately, passion for IT is what they want to see and what you hopefully can show. The fact that you are here reading this is testament to your commitment to enter SIS. Preparing for an interview = half the battle won. Good luck to all
pika98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #290

Hello has anyone receive interview calls from SMU Information Systems AY2019/2020?
alexmilo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.