HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Studying Pharmacy Overseas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

Studying Pharmacy Overseas

Hi guys,

I'm 25 this year, didn't do so well for my a levels (72.5 RP ) and entered a course I didn't really like. Graduated and worked a few years and have decided that this current field isn't for me. I have a strong interest in Pharmacy, and it was my dream course but with my results I didn't stand a chance.

After working for a few years, I have some savings and have been doing my own research on pharmacy school overseas. I was wondering about the costs and if there is sufficient job prospects should I graduate and return to Singapore. I have checked the list of 61 overseas unis available for registration, and was wondering which is the best choice in terms of fees and study experience.

I can't seem to find any experiences of singaporeans studying Pharmacy overseas online. It would be great if anyone can share their experiences or opinions.

Much appreciated.
Montytoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

before you wonder about the fees, ask yourself how much can you afford?
which Uni is a reach Uni?

study experience varies from ppl to ppl. what do you want in your study experience?
- Academic?
- Fun? party?

of the list of 61 there are masters and Bach.. which one are you eligible for? All 31 USA Uni requires a Pre Pharm requirements. Do you have them? if not these 31 are maybe out unless U are willing to do 6yrs. pre pharm as I recall it is a 2 yr program, Pharm is 4 yrs. Some Canadian programs are moving to USA system, on top of that not all Canadian programs accept international students
https://www.healthprofessionals.gov....s_july2019.pdf

Oz Curtin fees for 4 yrs is aud$130k plus living expenses
https://study.curtin.edu.au/offering/course-ug-bachelor-of-pharmacy-honours--bh-pharm/

I have 2 friends who did Pharm at local ivy, they are doing sales or PM job. not sure what is your impression of Pharm when you state you have a strong interest. As with job prospects not sure anyone can foresee what to happen 4 to 6 yrs from today

there is this old blog..
https://pharmsg2009.wordpress.com/

if U seek recent info, best to ping the Uni student body to see if they have anyone doing Pharm and get him.her to share experience privately.

Last edited by patryn33; 09-10-2019 at 07:39 AM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

Hi guys,

I'm 25 this year, didn't do so well for my a levels (72.5 RP ) and entered a course I didn't really like. Graduated and worked a few years and have decided that this current field isn't for me. I have a strong interest in Pharmacy, and it was my dream course but with my results I didn't stand a chance.

After working for a few years, I have some savings and have been doing my own research on pharmacy school overseas. I was wondering about the costs and if there is sufficient job prospects should I graduate and return to Singapore. I have checked the list of 61 overseas unis available for registration, and was wondering which is the best choice in terms of fees and study experience.

I can't seem to find any experiences of singaporeans studying Pharmacy overseas online. It would be great if anyone can share their experiences or opinions.

Much appreciated.
I know two who did masters of pharmacy.
Work 1 year , then decide to do medicine. His mum was complaining ( maybe humble bragging) that this son keep wasting her money.
Another came back, after hospital internship or something, found a job at Watson. Felt like a high class shopkeeper, went to teach tuition.

Don't be like them pls. Waste 2 to 3 years of their life. Pharmacy unfortunately has a upper cap to their salary. Senior principal pharmacist makes about 8k, while head of pharmacy 11 to 12 k ( but there are 2 of them per hospital only..and it takes many years to get there).
Save your money. Change to another line that doesn't require a technical degree , eg teaching, hawkering, sales , civil service etc.

Thank me later
cosycatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #4

Hi guys,

Much appreciated.
I am currently studying podiatry in brisbane. In australia pharmacy course can take between 4 to 5 years. 5 years is with master degree. Health science course in australia we did our internship since like year 2. The cost of the school fee for pharmacy is 40 plus thousands per year and every year they increase their tuition fee for international student.

I work for a few years before i cane here to study. Living expenses for rental can be range from 800 to 1000 a month and one month can spend 600 to 700 if u don eat out. Let me know if u have any question. Hope that answer you. Would like to advise you if you are paying for yourself like what i am doing is quite tough cos you have to save on living expenses. If you are paying by yourself like me you might need to take up bank loan. Best is to get support from your parent. If not you have to find a part time job here and job is hard to find it may take 6 months to 1 year and there is hour restriction.

I know a few who are studying pharmacist. Previously wanted to study but course fee is expensive overseas. What i can advise you is think before you act whether you want to study because studying overseas is costly and if you do not have support from families its even tougher. Jia you on your decision. The whole course plus living can cost half of the hdb price nearly 250k if course fee plus living.
Angie_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #5

Long post ahead and it might sound like I'm dissuading you but this is what is currently happening..

Job prospects is not very good unless you started out in a pharmacy then go to study. You need to put in extra effort to keep in touch with people (pharmacists/chief pharmacist/pharm techs) in the pharmacy you work in so that there's a chance for you to return to the same pharmacy. Still, there's no guarantee that you will be able to return to the same pharmacy despite keeping in close contact with the people there.

Let's say you grad w a degree. Once you come back, you need to go through 1 year pre-reg training (NUS 9 months). Once you get your probationary license, you're on 1 year probation (no probation for NUS) until you get the real pharmacist license. You're required to attend CE talks (40 hours per year, iirc) so that you are eligible to renew your license.

If you compare with NUS grads, you will take 4 + 1 + 1 = 6 years to get your license, whereas NUS grads spend 4 years to get the same license.

Studying overseas.. probably 15k/sem? You'll need to spend 15k x 8 = 120k minimum, for 4 years, as you have not factored in rental (usually year 1s can stay in hostel, year 2 onwards find your own place), transportation, textbooks and daily expenditure.

Another method is to get a dip in pharma science, work as pharm tech for minimum 10 years for a chance to study in pharmacy (recommendation via hospital) or wait for a chance for the hospital to send you to advance dip (no need 10 years but you still likely wont get a pay anywhere near a p'cist, unless is fresh grad p'cist).

I may be wrong, but current salary range for fresh grad p'cist is 3-3.5k.

MO: DESIGNER PERFUME OIL

INSTOCKS LIST: CLICK HERE
IT'S AN EXCEL FILE WITH 3 SPREADSHEETS
thelastname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #6

Tips for studying overseas

Just to let you know studying healthcare overseas is costly and there are a lot of factors to consider.

-Taking up bank loan that can only cover one year of the tuition fee (able to pay bank loan)
-Pharmacy course in Australia is expensive, you might want to consider study in UK which is cheaper by 20%
-Salary when you come back is not that high, and your salary might be base on the level of class of honour you obtain from your degree (1st, 2n or 3rd)
-Salary brought 3 to 3.5k and every year increment and bonus will be base on your performance
-For a 4 years degree it can easily cost you 200k or more and that depend on your spending
-You have to either cook or else it is costly to eat out
-Private room in a share house or student accomodation can cost between 150 to 300 per week depends on the location you stay so 1000 will be on rental. you only have 400 to about 700 to spend a month.
-To fund your expenses, you can look for a part time job (in Aus you can work up to 40 hours per 2 week and unlimited during uni holidays) but it will take up to 6 months or more to find a job so be prepare you will be jobless at least 6 months
-Do you intend to stay in the country or go back to Singapore after you finish your studies?
-If not you can study hard for the first year and try to apply MOH mid term scholarship if possible but you must be bonded for 6 years
-Suggest you save at least 45k first before you decide to study overseas.
-It is never too late to change your career and there are a lot of mature student studying in Australia

All the best to you.
Angie_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.