SUSS Part Time - How to juggle?

Zaf221

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be taking a part time degree at SUSS next year and is stuck on whether I should continue working full time at the same time. Biggest worry is whether I can juggle or not.

Any advice on how to juggle both? Would also be helpful if you can include what is your current job too.

Thanks in advance!

Ottoke

Reaction score
Does your work is those 8-6 kind? If yes, then it is suitable to juggle. We have a few working peeps here and they all go to lessons in the evening.

Starbarks!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be taking a part time degree at SUSS next year and is stuck on whether I should continue working full time at the same time. Biggest worry is whether I can juggle or not.

Any advice on how to juggle both? Would also be helpful if you can include what is your current job too.

Thanks in advance!

The best combination is part-time degree study + part-time job!

divasion

Master Member
Reaction score
The best combination is part-time degree study + part-time job!

yes.

alot ppl study part time,work full time but there will still be ppl not able to cope one. best is to try out one sem then know what suits you. if everyone same, then everyone is mechanised automated robot already

tf2noobz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it is not impossible. Not easy but not impossible. Schedule the lessons properly and make sure you have time to study.

Posted from PCWX using GAGT using hardwarezone app

Onelastwish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you have the attitude, it can be done.

That was my initial worry when i joined SUSS, fast forward 4 years later, I am already in my final semester.

It will be very tiring of coz, but always remember why you started.

:)

xoxomatcha

Reaction score
Does your work is those 8-6 kind? If yes, then it is suitable to juggle. We have a few working peeps here and they all go to lessons in the evening.

Not a very good example but sometimes I do skip lessons when I am tired from work since my workplace and the school location has quite a bit of distance, but I make up for it by spending more time on the modules during the weekends :) Or take only 10CU worth of modules every sem (but you will probably be only able to graduate in 5 -6 years' time)

Ottoke

Reaction score
Not a very good example but sometimes I do skip lessons when I am tired from work since my workplace and the school location has quite a bit of distance, but I make up for it by spending more time on the modules during the weekends :) Or take only 10CU worth of modules every sem (but you will probably be only able to graduate in 5 -6 years' time)

For me I will make it a point to attend all lessons, I will explain to my boss (and she understands lol)

petshopboys

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Juggling between work and studies is always there. The most important thing is DISCIPLINE. Plan your modules and pace yourself accordingly. I took on the part time degree course 5 years ago when I am juggling between work and family (2 kids). Adding on studies is really no joke. Really grateful for the relentless support from my wife and my 2 kids.

I graduated after 3.5 yrs and best of all, I am one of the award winners in my year. :D

divasion

Master Member
Reaction score

i agree, the generalization not really accurate also. for example, majority of ppl work full time office hours,study pt..just a simple correlation and looking at a superficial level.

For example, people usually say, if i work person 830 to 530 can study and take max load,you work 830 to 530 also so by default, u should be same also. If you look deeper, one may OT, one may not OT. Even if BOTH OT, one may OT half an hour, another may OT few hours? Next, some work location is near school,some is not..

Next, sometimes people say, u got family, i got family also and can study Why u cannot. If u look deeper, ur family may have problems, but their family may have problems worse than yours.

Lastly is the study for exam. everyone learning style is different and their capacity. Cannot just say, if im working full time and can study 3 weeks before exam, means BY DEFAULT, you not working and not taking max amount of modules should able to score higher. Maybe some ppl need more time to absorb, decrypt the concept, some people read one time, understand already and memorize better.

So regardless what other people say, try out and see what suits you, and not just to fit in to the norm. Just remember, if everyone is the same, then we are all automated mechanised robot. Capacity, situation everything same.

Last edited:

smiletutor

Reaction score
Pretty hard to study and work part time, some of my friends are doing Kaplan and working (different uni, but just to compare the extra burden of working+ studying).

They say Kaplan is much easier but they still can't really cope with the workload. Working is quite mentally draining and its hard to have enough energy at like 6/7/8pm to go to class and absorb all the content taught.

Of course, depends on the kind of student you are too. looking back on your years of education, did you find school very hard? or yourself studying more than your peers and getting similar marks. That would be gauge of how well you can "study smart". If you're quite good at studying smart then there shouldn't really be a problem!

jeaimentvous

Reaction score
A lot of factors in play in my humble opinion.
I work office hours but there are weeks when I'm on-call (ie. need to monitor our system 24/7) and there were a few times when we had major outages during class. My manager and team mates were very supportive and had my back during these period. I think you should speak to your manager if you have a full-time job.

I took 20CU every semester cause I wanted to complete in 3.5 years. Again, it's up to the individual.

eriolmoon2008

Master Member
Reaction score
Juggling between work and studies is always there. The most important thing is DISCIPLINE. Plan your modules and pace yourself accordingly. I took on the part time degree course 5 years ago when I am juggling between work and family (2 kids). Adding on studies is really no joke. Really grateful for the relentless support from my wife and my 2 kids.

I graduated after 3.5 yrs and best of all, I am one of the award winners in my year. :D

Waaa... i only got just pass...

petshopboys

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to study and work part time, some of my friends are doing Kaplan and working (different uni, but just to compare the extra burden of working+ studying).

They say Kaplan is much easier but they still can't really cope with the workload. Working is quite mentally draining and its hard to have enough energy at like 6/7/8pm to go to class and absorb all the content taught.

Of course, depends on the kind of student you are too. looking back on your years of education, did you find school very hard? or yourself studying more than your peers and getting similar marks. That would be gauge of how well you can "study smart". If you're quite good at studying smart then there shouldn't really be a problem!

If Kaplan is difficult then I don't know what is easy.:s22:

4saken

Reaction score
TS just do it, as berlo84 mentioned, if so many batches can, so can you.

I’ve been doing so the past 3 years and tbh it’s not been easy.
Taking 20cu of mods per sem should be a reasonable max. u can take a 10cu of mods in your first sem to test water.

i’ve had classmates with not just work and study to juggle, but also their kids.

you can do it💪🏻

typically lessons are 7 to 10. if you’re taking 20cu, it means 4 modules in 12 weeks, 2 modules in first 6 weeks, 2 modules in second 6 weeks. meaning 2 nights a week you’re required to attend class. but they’re leaning to e-Learning; only every other week have lessons.

must allocate time on other weeknights and weekends to study/do assignments.

it’s slightly overwhelming the first few weeks, but it’ll become like a routine once you’ve adjusted to the system.

feel free to voice out any concerns and i’m sure guys here will chip in :)

edit: personal experience, i work 9 to 6, and will reach just in time or slightly late for classes. go through study materials ahead of classes, assignment deadlines are quite tight here, so I get started on them after Lesson 1.
exam-wise, annual leaves or study leaves are important, sometimes after work just hard to do exam-prep.
i’m from business school so it’s normally group/ individual assignment+exam or group assignment+ individual assignment.

hope this helps!

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.