HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SUSS Part Time - How to juggle?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

SUSS Part Time - How to juggle?

Hi,

I'm going to be taking a part time degree at SUSS next year and is stuck on whether I should continue working full time at the same time. Biggest worry is whether I can juggle or not.

Any advice on how to juggle both? Would also be helpful if you can include what is your current job too.

Thanks in advance!
Zaf221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #2

Does your work is those 8-6 kind? If yes, then it is suitable to juggle. We have a few working peeps here and they all go to lessons in the evening.
tf2noobz likes this.

TWICE 트와이스
The Year of Yes | BDZ

TVB Dramas | List of Dramas | PL 2018/19 Fixtures | TWICE Fanclub | S.H.E Fanclub
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ottoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #3

Hi,

I'm going to be taking a part time degree at SUSS next year and is stuck on whether I should continue working full time at the same time. Biggest worry is whether I can juggle or not.

Any advice on how to juggle both? Would also be helpful if you can include what is your current job too.

Thanks in advance!
The best combination is part-time degree study + part-time job!
Starbarks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
Master Member

The best combination is part-time degree study + part-time job!
yes.

alot ppl study part time,work full time but there will still be ppl not able to cope one. best is to try out one sem then know what suits you. if everyone same, then everyone is mechanised automated robot already
divasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 AM   #5
Banned

TS confirm get enrolment in SUSS already?
Fantelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

I think it is not impossible. Not easy but not impossible. Schedule the lessons properly and make sure you have time to study.

Posted from PCWX using GAGT using hardwarezone app
tf2noobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

If you have the attitude, it can be done.

That was my initial worry when i joined SUSS, fast forward 4 years later, I am already in my final semester.

It will be very tiring of coz, but always remember why you started.

Onelastwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #8

You are not the first person or last person. Go for it!
berlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #9

if your work is related to your study, then it is easier.
psytxtbk4exam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 PM   #10

Does your work is those 8-6 kind? If yes, then it is suitable to juggle. We have a few working peeps here and they all go to lessons in the evening.
Not a very good example but sometimes I do skip lessons when I am tired from work since my workplace and the school location has quite a bit of distance, but I make up for it by spending more time on the modules during the weekends Or take only 10CU worth of modules every sem (but you will probably be only able to graduate in 5 -6 years' time)
xoxomatcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #11

Not a very good example but sometimes I do skip lessons when I am tired from work since my workplace and the school location has quite a bit of distance, but I make up for it by spending more time on the modules during the weekends Or take only 10CU worth of modules every sem (but you will probably be only able to graduate in 5 -6 years' time)
For me I will make it a point to attend all lessons, I will explain to my boss (and she understands lol)

TWICE 트와이스
The Year of Yes | BDZ

TVB Dramas | List of Dramas | PL 2018/19 Fixtures | TWICE Fanclub | S.H.E Fanclub
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ottoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Juggling between work and studies is always there. The most important thing is DISCIPLINE. Plan your modules and pace yourself accordingly. I took on the part time degree course 5 years ago when I am juggling between work and family (2 kids). Adding on studies is really no joke. Really grateful for the relentless support from my wife and my 2 kids.

I graduated after 3.5 yrs and best of all, I am one of the award winners in my year.
petshopboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #13
Master Member

i agree, the generalization not really accurate also. for example, majority of ppl work full time office hours,study pt..just a simple correlation and looking at a superficial level.

For example, people usually say, if i work person 830 to 530 can study and take max load,you work 830 to 530 also so by default, u should be same also. If you look deeper, one may OT, one may not OT. Even if BOTH OT, one may OT half an hour, another may OT few hours? Next, some work location is near school,some is not..

Next, sometimes people say, u got family, i got family also and can study Why u cannot. If u look deeper, ur family may have problems, but their family may have problems worse than yours.

Lastly is the study for exam. everyone learning style is different and their capacity. Cannot just say, if im working full time and can study 3 weeks before exam, means BY DEFAULT, you not working and not taking max amount of modules should able to score higher. Maybe some ppl need more time to absorb, decrypt the concept, some people read one time, understand already and memorize better.

So regardless what other people say, try out and see what suits you, and not just to fit in to the norm. Just remember, if everyone is the same, then we are all automated mechanised robot. Capacity, situation everything same.
McFadden, benxiaoya and xoxomatcha like this.

Last edited by divasion; 09-10-2018 at 02:03 PM..
divasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #14

Never try never know.
Better to give it a try, no regrets
hamikua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #15

Pretty hard to study and work part time, some of my friends are doing Kaplan and working (different uni, but just to compare the extra burden of working+ studying).

They say Kaplan is much easier but they still can't really cope with the workload. Working is quite mentally draining and its hard to have enough energy at like 6/7/8pm to go to class and absorb all the content taught.

Of course, depends on the kind of student you are too. looking back on your years of education, did you find school very hard? or yourself studying more than your peers and getting similar marks. That would be gauge of how well you can "study smart". If you're quite good at studying smart then there shouldn't really be a problem!
smiletutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.