HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Want to study overseas

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #1

Question Want to study overseas

Hi there! I'm a JC1 student currently studying in VJC (Victoria Junior College). I'm strongly looking to study at a university overseas after JC2, preferably in the US or the UK, if not Canada or Australia. I'm very aware of the fact that studying in any of these Anglophone countries as an international student will cost loads of money. My parents are willing to fund a maximum of SGD100k per year inclusive of ALL COSTS (tuition, transport, accommodation, food, etc.) involved.

I'm not too sure if this sum is sufficient, but I assume it is. I don't mind studying for and sitting for the SAT if needed. However, my extracurriculars wouldn't really be considered very strong. I've only been in a society CCA for 4 years in primary school, 4 years in performing arts CCA in secondary school and looking to join Students' Council in JC but currently only in a society/club CCA. No leadership positions ever. Not sure where I should aim to study. Important note: I certainly wish to migrate elsewhere after university, so I would like to study overseas. Studying locally is my last option. Please give some advice regarding my situation!!! Thank you!
matchinox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #2

Hi there! I'm a JC1 student currently studying in VJC (Victoria Junior College). I'm strongly looking to study at a university overseas after JC2, preferably in the US or the UK, if not Canada or Australia. I'm very aware of the fact that studying in any of these Anglophone countries as an international student will cost loads of money. My parents are willing to fund a maximum of SGD100k per year inclusive of ALL COSTS (tuition, transport, accommodation, food, etc.) involved.

I'm not too sure if this sum is sufficient, but I assume it is. I don't mind studying for and sitting for the SAT if needed. However, my extracurriculars wouldn't really be considered very strong. I've only been in a society CCA for 4 years in primary school, 4 years in performing arts CCA in secondary school and looking to join Students' Council in JC but currently only in a society/club CCA. No leadership positions ever. Not sure where I should aim to study. Important note: I certainly wish to migrate elsewhere after university, so I would like to study overseas. Studying locally is my last option. Please give some advice regarding my situation!!! Thank you!
Just assuming you do go overseas to study at 100k pa, you are looking to deplete your parents' finance by 300k in today's $.

With regards to your query, do you suggest that spending $300k for a bachelor degree is worthwhile? You could probably do so at NUS under 40k( unless medicine which is 29.5k pa). If you do your calculations, can you ascertain that you'd be able to earn back 300k in the next 3 years following your graduation?

What do you intend to study? And why not study locally and use your years of experience to migrate out? It's cheaper and feasible too.

Just put yourself in your parents' shoes and if your siblings were to ask you to fork out 100k pa on one hand, would you be able to stomach it? 300k you could do a bachelor >msc >phd and still have so much more savings.

Last edited by FadedBoy; 19-08-2019 at 08:19 PM..
FadedBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

It seems that you also do not have a clear purpose in life, on one hand you wanna migrate, on the other hand, you don't even know where you would like to migrate to. Have you tried living in a country by yourself without any family support? Would you be able to cope? What happens if you don't?

I would suggest you do your research properly before making a decision.

Last edited by FadedBoy; 19-08-2019 at 08:36 PM..
FadedBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Willing to find 100k a year. Thatís 400k.i stand corrected
UK With brexit the policy is making international leaving. I assume itís harder to stay.

With 400k can easily go USC, not hard to do NS now if u male go CC and transfer.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=University%20of%20Spoiled%20Children

U just have to figure out what u wanna study. USA and Canada welcome you going in to explore and I seen ppl taking 6 yrs to finish a degree changing their major 3 or 4 times
Read
https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/careers/career-planning/career-planning-year/choosing-your-program

Immigration laws do change read around
Understand the country system for example
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Last edited by patryn33; 19-08-2019 at 09:13 PM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 12:40 AM   #5

Just assuming you do go overseas to study at 100k pa, you are looking to deplete your parents' finance by 300k in today's $.

With regards to your query, do you suggest that spending $300k for a bachelor degree is worthwhile? You could probably do so at NUS under 40k( unless medicine which is 29.5k pa). If you do your calculations, can you ascertain that you'd be able to earn back 300k in the next 3 years following your graduation?

What do you intend to study? And why not study locally and use your years of experience to migrate out? It's cheaper and feasible too.

Just put yourself in your parents' shoes and if your siblings were to ask you to fork out 100k pa on one hand, would you be able to stomach it? 300k you could do a bachelor >msc >phd and still have so much more savings.
One would think that if his parents is able to spon him 100k pa.. it might just be a small change to them and that they just want to keep their child happy?

But yeah 300k for a bachelor degree is really overkill even for the "overseas experience"

But then again if your parents make 1m a month, what's 100k pa to make your child happy
i.Singaporean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 01:36 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

What sort of advice you want? Something that's pleasing to your ears or?

Do you (even) know what you want to study?

How much savings do you have? Have you worked before? Do you have $10k in your bank account? If you do, how long did it take for you to save or earn it?

Paying $100k x 3 years for an Aussie degree is just throwing money into the ocean. Immigration rules are changing all the time. How sure can you be that at the end of your 3 years undergrad studies that your occupation will be in demand for migration?

The US and the UK certainly doesn't welcome more immigrants at this point.

Canada, yes, migration thru studies is an option. Have you been to Canada? How do you know you'll like it better than Singapore? Toronto and Vancouver has a huge Asian population. The bigger cities can be pretty racist. A friend who has Canadian passport but is a Muslim, can't get a job in Canada.

Are you planning to bring your parents along when you migrate? If you intend to, do they want to migrate with you? Are you intending to return them the money that they will be spending on your studies? If you intend to, how long will you take to return them half a million (factoring inflation and interest)?

Last edited by dilphinus; 20-08-2019 at 01:41 AM..
dilphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 02:53 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Big city racist, small city also racist isnít it?
These days go where also has this racist issue.

As for Muslim friend not getting a job, he or she is sure itís a race thing or multiple reason? Many sides to a story man.

Another Canadian thread claim no Canada degree no job... but there are others who got job.

With TS: we donít know what is he or she asking for. All we know parents willing to spend $100k a year. There are 4 yr Oz degree not all Oz degree 3 yr.

TS is seem lost and want out of SG. Until we know more or TS understand his or her situation no way to help. We donít read mind
Old 20-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
Great Supremacy Member

So you want to study to migrate and you got a budget of 100k/year

what advice were you expecting

Old 20-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #9

So you want to study to migrate and you got a budget of 100k/year

what advice were you expecting

Budget is MAXIMUM 100k/year, preferably lower of course, they arenít filthy rich, itís just that they saved up a nice sum of money over time
Old 20-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #10

Big city racist, small city also racist isnít it?
These days go where also has this racist issue.

As for Muslim friend not getting a job, he or she is sure itís a race thing or multiple reason? Many sides to a story man.

Another Canadian thread claim no Canada degree no job... but there are others who got job.

With TS: we donít know what is he or she asking for. All we know parents willing to spend $100k a year. There are 4 yr Oz degree not all Oz degree 3 yr.

TS is seem lost and want out of SG. Until we know more or TS understand his or her situation no way to help. We donít read mind
Thanks man you seem to be the only person who isnít judgmental and attacking me on this thread I posted. Yeah I am sort of lost and I have no real idea about what I want to study, but in terms of country, Iím not lost, any Anglophone or even English-prevalent country will do. Also note: I have cousins in UK and US, does that help immigration in any way?
Old 20-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks man you seem to be the only person who isnít judgmental and attacking me on this thread I posted. Yeah I am sort of lost and I have no real idea about what I want to study, but in terms of country, Iím not lost, any Anglophone or even English-prevalent country will do. Also note: I have cousins in UK and US, does that help immigration in any way?
No cousin doesnít help at all. Please read the rules.
ask your cousin about BREXIT mean to immigration. Do your research on it. EU. Ppl not welcome u from Singapore hmm...
https://maltawinds.com/2019/08/19/uk-to-end-freedom-of-movement-for-eu-citizens-on-day-one-of-brexit/

This states they want the smarts ppl. If u in this camp should be in top JC
https://www.dw.com/en/brexit-fallout-uks-johnson-woos-best-and-brightest-immigrants/a-49957870

If u want to go ang mo land... u are lost finding a way. Your family rich just go investment route. Otherwise read what u have to study and find a industry who needs these talent to stay. These days only if u meets industry needs then u get to migrate. In USA lots of ppl migrate with masters or higher degree. If not find a local get marry is super fast then study anything also can

Regardless no one knows what u asking...
Please write qns point form, if u donít know how to ask. How u expect ppl to answer?

Last edited by patryn33; 20-08-2019 at 11:23 AM..
Old 20-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

For US, hope you are interested in STEM degree. Otherwise it will be close to impossible to stay for long after graduation. And if you want to do arts degree, there are better ways to burn 400k.
fzhfzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

I hope you know the value of money. How long did it take for your parents to save the $400k for you to spend in 4 years?
Old 20-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

For US, hope you are interested in STEM degree. Otherwise it will be close to impossible to stay for long after graduation. And if you want to do arts degree, there are better ways to burn 400k.
Same with Oz, U.K., Canada man these days...
If u do art history or say psychology or anthropology or music ... I donít think can stay in Oz or U.K. or Canada
Old 20-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

I hope you know the value of money. How long did it take for your parents to save the $400k for you to spend in 4 years?
If his or her parents donít mind, itís not your money just let it be imho...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.