Which camera gd for low light?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Wasnt really happy with my gd zoom camera as it not really gd for low light but for outdoor in daytime really no issue.
At the same time look at other camera also ahah

Can share which camera?
In regarding of price.. of cos the cheaper the better...

I not looking for top end since i am a average user. Just basic for travel, or human shot.
Not pro photographer le.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
exposure-triangle.jpg

Basically for the best low light image you will want to use the longest shutter speed with the largest aperture and the highest ISO you are comfortable with.

Cameras with stabilized lens and sensors should be better as it helps you get longer exposure (shutter open time) without blurriness from camera shake or too much image noise from a too high of ISO.

The larger the camera sensor the better it performs in low light.
Full frame > APS-C > micro 4/3

sensor-sizes-850.png

Also the lens with the larger f or t-stop the better the lens will be at low light
512px-Aperture_diagram.svg.png

Also try shooting in RAW format. With RAW you can bring out the shadows and tune other settings much better then what you can do with a JPEG photo

eclipse_feat.jpeg

Technically the best low light camera would be the Sony a7S II

Compact zoom cameras will perform far worse then most interchangeable lens camera in low light due the design of compact zoom lens requiring small apertures and a having sensors smaller then a micro 4/3 camera. You can compensate for its shortfalls by following the info above but you can't expect miracles out of it.

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
so rx100 also gd for low light?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
so rx100 also gd for low light?

Good is relative. It's probably better then a smartphone but no where close to any interchangable lens camera due to its much smaller sensor and fix max aperture.

Trying to get dlsr/mirrorless low light IQ from a compact camera is a pointless effort. You have to adjust your expectations.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
chim..

so must get micro 4/3 or APS-C type sensor ?

Last edited:

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
camera with zoom lens usually gives you bad Low light photos.

So if you want decent or good Low light photos you have to forgo zooom lenses.

Of course some may argue that there are far reaching lens that can capture Low light photos, but those lens are extremely huge and very heavy... and very expensive as well...

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Actually i looking at these 2 as the price is quite decent? Not buying now but just take a look la.

Canon EOS M10
Canon EOS M100

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I not looking for top end since i am a average user. Just basic for travel, or human shot.
Not pro photographer le.

Basically the Sony sensor top end models.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Actually i looking at these 2 as the price is quite decent? Not buying now but just take a look la.

Canon EOS M10
Canon EOS M100
I don't think many people here use canon APS-C mirrorless cameras. You should search the web for more information.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.