Canon EOS M50. Is it a good buy?

kira1984

Reaction score
Just saw Canon is launching Canon EOS M50. Any idea if it is a good buy?

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
as a entry level dslm, I think it is quite good with all the basic features.
but I don't understand why the dual pixel AF cannot work with 4K together....

for 1080p and overall stills, its okay.

the sony a6300 or a6500 can be considered too....

Last edited:

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just saw Canon is launching Canon EOS M50. Any idea if it is a good buy?
I think the latest Canon EOS M series of cameras (M50, M6, M5) are pretty good. Compact in size, excellent touch screen which articulates/tilts, user friendly interface which is highly customisable and an app to transfer pics to your smartphone that works pretty reliably (at least with the Galaxy S9+ which I'm using). For whatever weird reason, Sony cameras (a6000, a6300) all do *not* have touch screens which is a deal breaker for me, unless you get the much more expensive a6500.

Native lens selection for the M series is more limited (as compared to Sony, Olympus, Panasonic) unless you use the separate lens adaptor which gives you access to the wide range of normal Canon lenses. But this may not be a problem if you are not in the habit of buying lens. The M series does have the 22mm f2.0 prime lens for $300+ that is very compact and quite highly rated.

Although the M50 has a view finder, 4K video recording and the latest Digital 8 processor, I still prefer the slightly older M6. The M6 has more controls which also feel more solid (vs M50) and the screen tilts instead of articulates like the M50. Many people prefer articulating screens but they are not for me. If I want to take a low angle shot, I simply tilt the screen on the M6. For the M50, I would have to flip the screen out and then tilt the screen. When done, flip the screen back in if I do not want to leave the screen sticking out. Way too much trouble!

Sent from Samsung SM-T825Y using GAGT

Last edited:

diver-hloc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like its compact size and ASP-C sensor... but not the current available EF-M lenses...

But I'm really surprise that some very good EF-S lens like the 17-55mm f2.8 and the older EF 100-400mm isn't in the list of compatible lenses that one can use with Canon own EF/EF-S to EF-M adapter...

So... most likely I won't go over to mirrorless DSLR just yet.....

snokey1919

Reaction score
if youre after vlogging this is one of the best cameras out there. However, the 4k is really useless because DPAF cant work in 4k, but overall its a good entry level camera

lazyphoto

Reaction score
definitely can consider. for the price point of slightly less than $1000 (saw on shopee during promo) i will say it is super worth it!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.