HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Compact tripod for travelling

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2019, 12:17 AM   #31

I just bought a Yunteng YT-9928, quite cheap abt $14 and delivery was quite fast. Very quick and easy to set up and extend. Going to test it out in downtown Singapore this weekend and see how good it goes. I'm using my mobile phone to capture photos and don't think it will be nearly as good as a DSLR but good enough for me plus I bought a lens kit consisting of a wide angle lens and macro lens that can be clipped onto the mobile phone camera from Amazon. The tripod is very lightweight and should be easy to lug around in my luggage for my upcoming Spain and Portugal trip. Hope I can take some nice landscapes and cityscapes with the tripod and the lens kit.
Furore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #32
High Supremacy Member

I just bought a Yunteng YT-9928, quite cheap abt $14 and delivery was quite fast. Very quick and easy to set up and extend. Going to test it out in downtown Singapore this weekend and see how good it goes. I'm using my mobile phone to capture photos and don't think it will be nearly as good as a DSLR but good enough for me plus I bought a lens kit consisting of a wide angle lens and macro lens that can be clipped onto the mobile phone camera from Amazon. The tripod is very lightweight and should be easy to lug around in my luggage for my upcoming Spain and Portugal trip. Hope I can take some nice landscapes and cityscapes with the tripod and the lens kit.
Travelling light is good. Yours is a selfie stick cum tripod. Since u haven't looked beyond using a phone camera, stay that way. Camera phones now have new tech built in to allow u to shoot wonderful pics. I don't think I will get back to using a DSLR. Just too heavy.
These days I use a phone, a compact, a mirrorless, an actioncam.
hacktic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 03:44 PM   #33

Travelling light is good. Yours is a selfie stick cum tripod. Since u haven't looked beyond using a phone camera, stay that way. Camera phones now have new tech built in to allow u to shoot wonderful pics. I don't think I will get back to using a DSLR. Just too heavy.
These days I use a phone, a compact, a mirrorless, an actioncam.
My Oppo phone camera takes quite clear pics compared to my previous phone. Night shots are much better too. It's true that camera phones are getting better and better every year in terms of tech and megapixels. For hobbyist photographers I don't think there is a strong need for DSLR these days unless you want to shoot for an award winning magazine or Discovery photography contest so a smartphone camera should more than suffice.
Old 19-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #34

I just bought a Yunteng YT-9928, quite cheap abt $14 and delivery was quite fast. Very quick and easy to set up and extend. Going to test it out in downtown Singapore this weekend and see how good it goes.

when it comes to tripod height, your setting can be a factor to consider. If you are shooting in an urban setting a lot, one simple consideration is do you see yourself running into scenarios where your tripod is too short and your phone got block by a wall or a railing.

Also if you're shooting in environment with high wind, a short tripod can easily get blown over. Try extending the stick to its full height outdoors and stand it upright to see how stable it is. There will be situations where the full height is needed, eg. taking group photo with yourself in the picture, and you dont want it to be shaky with motion blur if the photo is at night so knowing the optimal height is important.

for such considerations myself I like to use flexible style tripod like gorillapod. Although it is small. If a obstacle is blocking me I can make the tripod grip onto the obstacle (or put on top the obstacle) while a minature version of classic tripod design is still limited by only being able to put on the ground.

Last edited by chiaRH; 19-03-2019 at 04:30 PM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #35

Any good tripod brands to recommend?
evergreenmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #36

Any good tripod brands to recommend?
manfrotto
mrkent194 likes this.
AhNehDuaKi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #37

joby gorilla pod
mrkent194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 03:08 AM   #38

when it comes to tripod height, your setting can be a factor to consider. If you are shooting in an urban setting a lot, one simple consideration is do you see yourself running into scenarios where your tripod is too short and your phone got block by a wall or a railing.

Also if you're shooting in environment with high wind, a short tripod can easily get blown over. Try extending the stick to its full height outdoors and stand it upright to see how stable it is. There will be situations where the full height is needed, eg. taking group photo with yourself in the picture, and you dont want it to be shaky with motion blur if the photo is at night so knowing the optimal height is important.

for such considerations myself I like to use flexible style tripod like gorillapod. Although it is small. If a obstacle is blocking me I can make the tripod grip onto the obstacle (or put on top the obstacle) while a minature version of classic tripod design is still limited by only being able to put on the ground.
Thanks for the tips. The YT-9928 tripod is a bit light and can be toppled somewhat easily if not placed on a flat surface or blown over by strong wind but most of the time it's quite okay, it just needs some support with another object. I tried taking time lapses on my phone with it too for extended periods of time, so far so good. For a budget phone tripod it is really good and has served my needs well for the time being given that I mostly take cityscapes and landscapes and need stability especially at night and in low light conditions.
Old 26-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #39

Thanks for sharing!
lexuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 09:48 PM   #40

Have to take into account our lens and camera weight too.. especially if taking in scenic ares where the grounds aren't flat.
lexuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #41

That’s awesome advice! Glad I saw this thread cos nearly bought totally wrong one
Old 31-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #42

These are my top ones I can recommend:

Benro GoPlus Travel FGP18A + B0. Robust, versatile and portable, this is the best serious travel tripod right now. ...
Kenro Karoo Ultimate Travel. ...
Vanguard VEO 235AB. ...
3 Legged Thing Eclipse Leo Airhead Switch kit. ...
Gitzo GK0545T-82TQD Series 0 Traveler kit. ...
Manfrotto Befree. ...
MeFoto RoadTrip Air. ...
linghuanghottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #43

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/1...ty-kickstarter

check this out
angy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #44
High Supremacy Member

very nice but also verrrrry expensiveeeeeeeeee
hope for china copy...hehe
hacktic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #45
Supremacy Member

Gitzo traveler. Comes in Series 0 to 2
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.