HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Entry level mirrorless camera

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #31
Master Member

I vote the the olympus.

M43 is compact and on most usage they are more then enough. Is a lght weight travel camera and with wide lens selection. I using PEN-F now.

As for Sony has high quality lenses their price also quite high and their APS-C lens felt limited (since the last time i check)
Which lenses are you using?
Shutterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #32
Master Member

Went to try out the Olympus OMD M10 II just now. Despite being an entry level camera, it feels damn sold. Built like a tank. Should I get both kit lenses? Or just get one and explore other options?

Now I see another option in M5, which is weather-sealed and comes with 14-150 lens which provides plenty of convenience, instead of carrying 2 lenses. However, it is $600 more.
Old 27-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

Went to try out the Olympus OMD M10 II just now. Despite being an entry level camera, it feels damn sold. Built like a tank. Should I get both kit lenses? Or just get one and explore other options?

Now I see another option in M5, which is weather-sealed and comes with 14-150 lens which provides plenty of convenience, instead of carrying 2 lenses. However, it is $600 more.
Lens selection depend on your shooting style, go read up on the lenses characteristics and you will know what you need to buy.

As for M5 vs M10, these are the bullet points:
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/pre...vs-omd-em5-ii/
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #34

Which lenses are you using?
When I got PEN-F is sold as body only

But i using 12-40 Lens mostly.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #35

Depends how much you willing to spend.

The E-M5 is solid build and the 14-150 lens does most of the job just that a is f4-5.6 a little hard to use when in low light. You got motion blur because of the slow shutter (take moving object like human and kids) but if taking static object the IBIS does the job.
Shutterfly likes this.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #36
Master Member

Depends how much you willing to spend.

The E-M5 is solid build and the 14-150 lens does most of the job just that a is f4-5.6 a little hard to use when in low light. You got motion blur because of the slow shutter (take moving object like human and kids) but if taking static object the IBIS does the job.
Ya lor.. Dilemma. The E-M5 also 80g heavier.
Old 28-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #37

X-T1

With the X-T3 out now, the X-T1 price has dropped considerably but it is an amazing camera. Only con is that lenses are expensive but a 35mm would do great (~$600)
Shutterfly likes this.
Edeang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #38
Master Member

Thanks for all the advice. Bought the OM-D E-M10 Mark II.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #39

squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #40
Master Member

so what is after full frame
alamakazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #41

Is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II suitable for a beginner and first time user of mirrorless camera?
Main concern is its complex menu.
Is it a big issue?
Shutterfly and Ah_keong like this.
Beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #42

so what is after full frame
Medium format

On a serious note I don't think full frame is going away anytime soon. A lot of camera brands like Nikon, canon & Sony has a easy path to move from aps-c go full frame since their mount is compatible. You can buy a aps-c body & full frame lens and upgrade to a full frame body later.
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #43

Is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II suitable for a beginner and first time user of mirrorless camera?
Is it a big issue?
The camera interface should be the least of your concerns. No matter how convoluted the interface is, it will become familiar with use.

The hard part of photography is getting the camera to take the picture you imagined. This can be accomplished with practicing what different settings (focal length, aperture, shutter speed, exposure etc) does to the photo and also getting familiar with your raw editior be it lightroom, capture one etc to get the image you want.

If all you want is to press the shutter button and let the camera to do all the work, then I suggest using a smartphone instead. Most new smartphones has much more advanced "AI" then most cameras.
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is it a big issue?
User interface is very subjective to each user. To me, Oly's menu is not intuitive and I much prefer Panasonic's UI. Having had cameras from both at one time, I decided to stick with Pany. Try to play with a unit at one of the stores for yourself.

Sidenote, E-M10 does have plenty of manual controls. You might not need to dive into the menus often. Learn how to use the 3 basics of photography,

shutter speed - aperture - focal length
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #45

Is it a big issue?

you have to hands on with a demo unit and see for yourself

if you are a 1st timer to manual photography, the hurdle is bigger compared to if you already know manual photography

assuming you know manual photography then when you hands on the demo unit, practice the following:

- change ISO, shutter speed, aperture. How fast can you change it? Is it convenient and easy to change. Any of these 3 settings being 'difficult' to adjust can instantly dealbreak the camera for experienced photographers who dont want to fight a clunky UI

- how easy is it to change modes? standard PASM, single shot change to burst mode and vice versa

- how easy is it to change focus? set focus point, go from auto to manual focus and vice versa, default focus point back to centre

If within 5 mins you can figure this out on a new camera unit that you have never touch before (even just a demo unit in a shop), then the UI should be intuitive enough.
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.