FAQ: Purchasing a DSLR System

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WoW good job bro!
Such a enlightening read :)
At least I don't feel so dumb lol
Aiyoh... please don't say that, I also started with 0% knowledge, and till now I'm still learning, just helping others who wants to know what DSLR is really all about :)

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think you're looking at Dry Cabinets as opposed to dry box, they are of different calibre, thus different pricings.

lammie89

Reaction score
any recommendation for a basic DSLR? since there is quite a number of new models out now.. >.<

and isit advisable to get an additional lens for portrait or wide lens?? >.< :look:

bunegg

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any recommendation for a basic DSLR? since there is quite a number of new models out now.. >.<

and isit advisable to get an additional lens for portrait or wide lens?? >.< :look:

550d :) with either kit 1 or kit 2

spend another $125 on a 50mm 1.8 for some bokeh goodness :)

dlabedz

Reaction score
1st DSLR

The 550D is a great first DSLR.

Save a little and get a better lense like the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

There is a review at Cameralabs, I do not have enough post here to allow me to post the link. Put Cameralabs in a search engine and you will get the link.

Good luck and happy shooting!

funnyhercules

Reaction score
Hey EJB,

Thanks for your post, has broaden my knowledge about DSLR.

By the way i'm looking for a entry level DSLR, would you recommend D90 or D7000?

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Entry level will depend on your budget, a decent entry level, 3100 or 7000 would be just fine.

bluebellas

Reaction score
Lens cracked

Hi, can anyone advise if it's ok to continue to use a cracked lens. Someone told me moisture will seep thru the crack and spoil the cam. I noticed thou that I can still take pics without the crack showing. Very sim Tia cos I bought my cam and lens just recently.

chanzhf

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone advise if it's ok to continue to use a cracked lens. Someone told me moisture will seep thru the crack and spoil the cam. I noticed thou that I can still take pics without the crack showing. Very sim Tia cos I bought my cam and lens just recently.

i feel for you. depends really on the extent of the crack. if the value of the lens isnt that expensive and if the crack doesnt excessively affect your pictures, i'll say go ahead and use it.

replacing any of the glass on a camera lens involves alot of effort for disassembly. add in the cost of parts replacement, some of which are really difficult to obtain, and u might as well just buy a whole new lens.

As for moisture issues, never heard of cracks in lenses leading to camera body damage. the most common damage which are fungal growth and dust spots are due to improper storage conditions such as humid conditions.

mvp30sg

Reaction score
Hi EJB,

I was reading thru your post on the explanation of "Zoom Times" and I'm more confused now.

All along I've a rough concept on those bundle lens for eg. 18-55mm, Zoom times = 55 / 18 = 3x
18-135mm, Zoom times = 135 / 18 = 7.5x
18-200mm, Zoom times = 200 / 18 = 11.1x

But how abt those Lens with 55-300mm, 70-200mm, or 500mm?

Is 18mm the reference for actual size?

Please forgive my ignorance as I a newbie and I'm trying to pick up some serious photography.

Thankyou. :)

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi EJB,

I was reading thru your post on the explanation of "Zoom Times" and I'm more confused now.

All along I've a rough concept on those bundle lens for eg. 18-55mm, Zoom times = 55 / 18 = 3x
18-135mm, Zoom times = 135 / 18 = 7.5x
18-200mm, Zoom times = 200 / 18 = 11.1x

But how abt those Lens with 55-300mm, 70-200mm, or 500mm?

Is 18mm the reference for actual size?

Please forgive my ignorance as I a newbie and I'm trying to pick up some serious photography.

Thankyou. :)

55-300 = 300/55 = 5.45
70-200 = 200/70 = 2.86
500 = 500/500 = 1

The division is done taking the SHORTEST end and the LONGEST end's range. 18mm on the examples given are also calculated as such.

bluebellas

Reaction score
Cracked Camera lens

i feel for you. depends really on the extent of the crack. if the value of the lens isnt that expensive and if the crack doesnt excessively affect your pictures, i'll say go ahead and use it.

replacing any of the glass on a camera lens involves alot of effort for disassembly. add in the cost of parts replacement, some of which are really difficult to obtain, and u might as well just buy a whole new lens.

As for moisture issues, never heard of cracks in lenses leading to camera body damage. the most common damage which are fungal growth and dust spots are due to improper storage conditions such as humid conditions.

Thanks a lot for your advice :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.