HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

A FAQ for Starting/Buying a Digital Camera

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2002, 11:13 AM   #16
Supremacy Member

it really depends on the quality of the pic...
for myself using A40, i printed 4R pics using 1024x768, superfine mode, and the pics look great.
of course the pics themselves must not be noisy (blur is another issue).

i do recommend that take all your pics at the largest size and best resolution. You can always resize the images to a smaller one without affecting the quality, not the other way.
Kenshin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 11:15 AM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

Many thanks to this ultra helpful thread. I should have
read more carefully about the details on shops like AP,
CP & John 3:16, then I would have cut myself from some
troubles & terrible experience with some SLS shops.

I was terribly devastated by the terrible services & lowly
tricks shops in SLS resorted to when trying to sell me a
camera. In the end, I bought mine at John 3:16 & very
happy with their services. The sales person
there is ultra friendly & the way he handled the camera
showing me all the buttons & features, I am impressed.
Comparing to those in SLS, they gave me the kinda
f++k face like,'You want? Take it or leave it?'

Thumbs up for John 3:16. By the way, just to share
some experience, CP in Marina Square is not as helpful
as CP in Pennisular plaza. CP in Pennisular Plaza is very
busy most of the time. While the sales person are very
helpful in showing u the features of different models &
switching on each models for you to try & use, there
are so many people that I also don't feel like taking up
too much of their time bargaining & etc. John 3:16 is
at 2nd floor of funan centre. While customers are many,
the less than a handy of sales there are very friendly &
professional with the cameras. They didn't give me
any discount though but they priced slightly cheaper
than CP.

I am a happy owner of S602z now.

Last edited by coyote; 10-11-2002 at 11:18 AM..
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2002, 12:23 AM   #18

Talking

I have been looking to buy a digital camera since my friend showed me what his sony 707 2mp thingie could do and this FAQ is certainly THE MOST USEFUL INFORMATION i have come across to date.
Thanx a bunch!:cool:
dickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2002, 02:31 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

what camera would u guys recommend me?
my few requirements:
compact flash type 2 as a media (coz already have 1)
able to take night shots..
best if i can like turn the camera lens around and face me..like some sony cybershots..

I know what I am saying is a bit blurrish..sorry...
budgetless actually.

Does the a40 use compact flash type 2 as its storage media?
djchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:15 PM   #20
Master Member

ho sei!

lagi best guide i have seen so man!

answered most me questions!

thanks to Kenshin79 and paladin!
Old 07-12-2002, 01:32 PM   #21
Supremacy Member

any type of ni-cd or ni-mh battery can be used on the charger.
for GP i am not sure.... some people say GP battery can only be charged by GP charger.
Old 17-12-2002, 12:12 PM   #22

Cool Personal experience in buying Digital Cam

Hi,folks,
if only I read the msg you posted here before buying my Digital Cam. I was quite new to Digital Cam a few months ago and I would like to share with you an unpleasant experience at Sim Lim Sq(SLS) when I bought a high end Sony digital camera at Hai Chew Electronics at #01-53/54. The salesman asked for my budget after I told him that the initial offered price was too expensive. My budget should not exceed $1k, so he offered me $990 but he didn't inform me that it was w/o GST. He even told me that he gave me this price as I looked sincere in buying the digital cam and this price can only be offered if I am not using VISA. When I was abt to pay, I was told to pay $1019.70 incl GST (and this price is only $25 lower than SAFE superstore) and I was stunned for a while. But I made the payment eventually. Then I upgraded the memory stick from 16MB to 32MB after bargaining from $25 to $20 when in fact the price should be less than $15. It was a painful experience.

My advice for anyone new to Digital Camera and intending to buy one:
1) Do a research at these overseas web site:
http://www.digital-camerastore.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/
for the camera you want and the accessories included. If you convert the price they offered to Sing $ plus the shipping cost, that would be about the lowest price any shop can offer here. If you have a MasterCard or Visa, you might even purchase it online.

2) Do not let the salesman know your budget. Instead ask for the best price they can offer. Compare with a few shops. Some will mark up the price w/o you knowing it and will convince you that you are getting a good price after bargaining. The electronic shops at 1st-3rd floor in SLS do not put up a price list outside their shops unlike computer hardware shops at 4th-6th floor. You might want to check out the price at SAFE superstore, BEST Connection, COURTS or Harvey Norman before making a purchase at other retailer stores.

3) Never be pressured into buying a product. It is a common technique used by the sales pple there. When asked "What's your problem?" or "Come, tell me what you want!" or etc. Tell them that you need some time to consider and if the price is good, you will come back for it. It will take you some courage, ask a friend to go along with you if need to.

4) Check the local web site for 1st hand digital cam:
http://www.cheapngreen.com
http://www.parisilk.com (I bought a Sony 128MB memory stick and InfoLithium battery for $135 and $85 respectively at Parisilk and most retailers are selling at $165 and $120 respectively). If you can get a better price than these web sites at other retailer stores, by all means.

If you want a 2nd hand, check out:
http://sg.auctions.yahoo.com/ (Look for Electronics and Cameras)
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/ (Look for Photography Singapore)

Regards, Arthur
arthur_koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2003, 01:31 AM   #23
Supremacy Member

Re: Re: A FAQ for Starting/Buying a Digital Camera

Originally posted by chuadanny

Hi Kenshin79,
I am newbies in this forums.May I ask you some questions,last week I just bought Canon V2,any ideas where can get cheaper price and what kind of brands for my new digicam backup :-
a)Compact Flash
b)Battery
c)Tripod
d)Pounch
Thanks...............Have a nice day..............
and here's one who read already still ask questions that were "ANSWERED"???????

hey, chuadanny, please do not quote such a long post leh... just ask can already.

i tot most of your questions can already be answered by the things you quoted???? get your stuffs only at the recommended cam shops la
a) CF any brand will do, but take note of Ridata or Hagiwara, anyway answered in FAQ
b) 2nd batt for V2 please get only the original V2 li-ion batt -> dun get those oem or cheap stuffs to spoil your cam.
c) tripod is already answered in FAQ
d) please, any type of pouch will do as long as it offers good protection and you like it.
Old 28-01-2003, 02:04 AM   #24
Supremacy Member

Re: Digtal cam + Web cam

Originally posted by Michelle81
Hi,

Is there any digital camera that also acts as a web cam too? What is the price range for such camera?

Thank you.
cams from creative, acer, ranger and logitech has both cam & webcam function.
but their cam function is really lousy & pic quality poor.

better to spend $50 on juz a decent webcam and more $ on a good cam.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:56 PM   #25

A Guide on CompactFlash

What is CompactFlash®, CF Type I, CF Type II and CF I/O?

CompactFlash® is a small, removable mass storage device. First introduced in 1994, CompactFlash cards weigh a half ounce and are the size of a matchbook. They provide complete PCMCIA-ATA functionality and compatibility.

At 43mm (1.7") x 36mm (1.4") x 3.3mm (0.13"), the CF Type I card's thickness is less than one-half of a current PCMCIA Type II card. It is actually one-fourth the volume of a PCMCIA card. Compared to a 68-pin PCMCIA card, a CF card has 50 pins but still conforms to ATA specs. It can be easily slipped into a passive 68-pin PCMCIA Type II to CF Type I adapter that fully meets PCMCIA electrical and mechanical interface specifications.

At 43mm (1.7") x 36mm (1.4") x 5mm (0.19"), the CF Type II card's thickness is equal to a current PCMCIA Type II card. It is actually less than one-half the volume of a PCMCIA card. Compared to a 68-pin PCMCIA card, a CF card has 50 pins but still conforms to ATA specs. It can be easily slipped into a passive 68-pin PCMCIA Type II to CF Type II adapter that fully meets PCMCIA electrical and mechanical interface specifications.

The only difference between CF Type I and CF Type II cards is the card thickness. CF Type I is 3.3 mm thick and CF Type II cards are 5mm thick. A CF Type I card will operate in a CF Type I or CF Type II slot. A CF Type II card will only fit in a CF Type II slot. The electrical interfaces are identical. CompactFlash is available in both CF Type I and CF Type II cards, though predominantly in CF Type I cards. The Microdrive is a CF Type II card. Most CF I/O cards are CF Type I, but there are some CF Type II I/O cards.

CompactFlash cards are designed with flash technology, a nonvolatile storage solution that does not require a battery to retain data indefinitely.

CompactFlash storage products are solid state, meaning they contain no moving parts, and provide users with much greater protection of their data than conventional magnetic disk drives. They are five to ten times more rugged and reliable than disk drives including those found in PC Card Type III products. CF cards consume only five percent of the power required by small disk drives.

CompactFlash cards support both 3.3V and 5V operation and can be interchanged between 3.3V and 5V systems. This means that any CF card can operate at either voltage. Other small form factor flash cards may be available to operate at 3.3V or 5V, but any single card can operate at only one of the voltages.

CF data storage cards are also available using magnetic disk (Microdrive).

CF I/O cards include modems, Ethernet, serial, Bluetooth wireless, digital phone cards, USB, laser scanners, etc.

The connector used with CF and CompactFlash is similar to the PCMCIA Card connector, but with 50 pins. Years of field experience in portable devices have proven the reliability and durability of this connector in applications where frequent insertions and ejections of the card are required. Other small form factor flash cards use connector technology that is not reliable or durable in these applications .

CompactFlash provides the lowest cost flash storage solution for capacities of 16MB and above. With the built-in controller, a wide variety of low cost flash technologies can be used. The built-in controller lowers costs further by reducing costs in the host device and allowing defective flash chip cells to be mapped out, thus increasing flash chip yields. Microdrives provide the lowest cost data storage solution for capacities of 340MB and above.

When compatibility, interoperability, reliability, cost, and performance count, CF and CompactFlash cards are the ATA-compatible solution that delivers.

extracted from CompactFlash Association
adamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 04:30 PM   #26
Supremacy Member

1 to ask, wat type of cleaning things should i buy to clean my a40. and What is CF card reader for?
boontiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:08 AM   #27
Supremacy Member

Originally posted by boontiong
1 to ask, wat type of cleaning things should i buy to clean my a40. and What is CF card reader for?
juz get a dust blower and some lens tissue.. cost around $10 for a package available in AP or CP.
dun need expensive or very high end cleaning stuff.

CF card reader is convenient as you can just take out the CF from the cam and put inside the reader to read, dun need to connect cam, dun need to waste cam battery, and also dun need to load software drivers, very good if ya viewing the pics in other PC rather than your own.
Old 14-02-2003, 11:17 PM   #28
Supremacy Member

Re: Re: A FAQ for Starting/Buying a Digital Camera

[QUOTE]Originally posted by boontiong
[B]
Originally posted by Kenshin79
A FAQ on starting/buying a digital camera

11) Dry-box + Silica Gel - $25

where to buy the dry box?
it is available in most Kodak shops or AP or CP or MS Color
Old 22-02-2003, 12:35 AM   #29
Supremacy Member

bought air tight container from AP.......and a silical gel for $30
Old 03-03-2003, 09:59 AM   #30
Supremacy Member

can some1 help me pls, i am asking for a friend of mine, he is looking for a digi camera(budget is $300) i ask him to top up $100 more to get a40 but he cannot. so can any1 recommend him another camera?
thanks in advance
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.