HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Fungus appear in the lens my Sony Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

Fungus appear in the lens my Sony Camera

Hi there,
anyone have any experience of bringing back the camera back to Sony for this issue?
if yes around how much will it charge because from what i know fungus is not part of warranty.
ahkaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #2

Same thing happened to me! Might be humidity? .... maybe we dun store properly?
Old 27-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Yeah. Did u get yours fix ?
ahkaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Hi there,
anyone have any experience of bringing back the camera back to Sony for this issue?
if yes around how much will it charge because from what i know fungus is not part of warranty.
Call Sony to check? What lens are you using?

If you spend a few hundreds to few k on your photography equipment pls also get an electronic dry box to store your equipment la. Need not get a super big one unless you have tonnes of equipment, which I doubt. Our humidity level hovers from 80% to 90++ btw.
Old 30-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

you can get a container + thirsty hippo. the humidity will drop to 40~50%. only change once every few months
Old 31-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Hi there,
I have had a Tamron lens with fungus that has stopped growing. From my photos, i dont have problems with the image quality partly because i dont stop the lens beyond F/11 most of the time.

If your lens is not expensive, servicing it may not be worth.
Unclemun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

er... the charges are on sony website

Normal charges is expected for fungus removal, dont think it falls under cleaning section

Sony lens - $80 before GST
G/GM/Zeiss lens - $150 before GST
earle1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #8

mine too.. kinda sad about it
dlimye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 12:27 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Why you never use dry cabinet?
Rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

Once cleaned, if you continue to not store it properly, the fungus WILL grow back.

So, think about getting a dry cabinet. There are many small ones in carousell for cheap (I sold off mine there too as I need a bigger one).

Dry cabinets typically need at least a day for the humidity to stabilise, so get it ready before your lens comes back from servicing
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #11
Supremacy Member

Think you have to either buy a proper black box or cabinet to keep your all your photography equipment.

I started off with those black box that you manually put dessicant gel inside , as I expand the equipment I bought a cabinet with temperature and humidity control. Over more than 8 years , so far all my lens and camera no fungus found.
Norman Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #12

IMHO, to save the hassle, buy 2 adequate sized dry cabinet - dry cabinet will fail.
keenklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Red face

Why you never use dry cabinet?
Dry cabinets are one thing...

.. more important is how one handles the camera in use.

Eg. If one places the camera in an air-conditioned place for a period of time, when the camera is brought outside for shoots, condensation floods the innards. The trapped moisture is not easy to get rid of, even when placed in a dry cabinet...

.. that is why many are puzzled as to why their lenses are still attacked by fungus though they are properly kept...
yoyokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 06:27 PM   #14

Eg. If one places the camera in an air-conditioned place for a period of time, when the camera is brought outside for shoots, condensation floods the innards. The trapped moisture is not easy to get rid of, even when placed in a dry cabinet...

.. that is why many are puzzled as to why their lenses are still attacked by fungus though they are properly kept...
eh... what is your solution?
keenklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

That's some nonsense. Condensation is gone after 5 minutes and the dry cabinet will get rid of the excess moisture as well.
Rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.