HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Loaning of HI8 and Mini DV camcorder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

Loaning of HI8 and Mini DV camcorder

Hi everyone!

I have with me quite a few of those HI8 and Mini DV tapes (>10 of each type), and I wish to make soft copies of them. However my camcorders have broken down and thus I'm left with the choice of fixing them or going to some shops that have this "convert-to-soft-copy" service. Both of these are extremely costly ($40/hr of tape for the service) and I hope that I don't have to resort to them.

Hence I'm making an appeal to any kind soul who can lend me their camcorder so that I can make a soft copy of my tapes. I will be immensely grateful for your help.

You can pm me if you would like. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Jun.Hao19; 11-06-2013 at 03:23 PM..
Jun.Hao19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Master Member

If your tapes are not stored in humidity control box, then it is not advisable to loan as the tapes might mess up the tape head.
peterchan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

If your tapes are not stored in humidity control box, then it is not advisable to loan as the tapes might mess up the tape head.
I understand this point, and just to clarify, my dad has the tapes stored in humidity control boxes (one box for HI8, one for Mini DV). The boxes also have desiccants (silica gel) placed in them.

From some previous reading up, it also seems to me that the brand matters (because of lubricant type used in the tapes). Hence to further clarify, both types of tapes are from SONY.

Thanks for the opportunity to make things clear
Jun.Hao19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

Hi everyone!

I have with me quite a few of those HI8 and Mini DV tapes (>10 of each type), and I wish to make soft copies of them. However my camcorders have broken down and thus I'm left with the choice of fixing them or going to some shops that have this "convert-to-soft-copy" service. Both of these are extremely costly ($40/hr of tape for the service) and I hope that I don't have to resort to them.

Hence I'm making an appeal to any kind soul who can lend me their camcorder so that I can make a soft copy of my tapes. I will be immensely grateful for your help.

You can contact me at 9235 2822 to look for Jun Hao. Or if you would like you can also pm me. Thanks for the help!
Hi Jun Hao,

my recorder also spoil liao. Same situation as yours.

Can I know which shop can convert the Hi8 tapes to softcopy like mov of mp4 ? Can PM me the contact ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Hi Jun Hao,

Can I know which shop can convert the Hi8 tapes to softcopy like mov of mp4 ? Can PM me the contact ?

Thanks
I got a Hi8 Camcorder which i had placed in humidity box, been sometimes since last use. Also got some tapes to ingest when I got time and maybe test out if the camcorder still working.

If it's working, might be able to provide some service to those who need to ingest their Hi8 tapes.
skbeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #6

Hi Jun Hao,

Thanks
There's a shop on the basement of Adelphi near City Hall MRT. As you descend the steps, it's the shop to your right. I just went there yesterday as I had 10-12 Hi8 tapes to be converted. He charges $30 for 1 hour of conversion

I'd rather BUY or rent a camcorder that can play these tapes and convert them myself with a video card. I've been searching for a Hi8 camcorder for ages, but haven't been able to get one myself. I do have a JVC camcorder, but it doesn't switch on.

Does anybody have that I could borrow on loan or rent?
flitbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #7

I got a Hi8 Camcorder which i had placed in humidity box, been sometimes since last use. Also got some tapes to ingest when I got time and maybe test out if the camcorder still working.

If it's working, might be able to provide some service to those who need to ingest their Hi8 tapes.
Count me in too. I've got 10-12 tapes to convert too. Please let me know if your camcorder works. I'd be willing to do the conversion if you're not able to too.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #8

Thumbs up Solution

Try these guys jacksdvdsdotcom

They recently converted some of my Hi8 tapes to DVD and were cheap.

Hi everyone!

You can pm me if you would like. Thanks for the help!
shaneconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #9

Hi I have a Sony TRV-DCR228E with cables, a battery and some used tapes for sale at SGD95.
Let me know if you're interested.

macarthur07
macarthur07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #10

Hi I have a Sony TRV-DCR228E with cables, a battery and some used tapes for sale at SGD95.

macarthur07
I'm interested! I've a few tapes to be converted
Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #11

Hi,

I am interested also.... Any updates from flitbee??
alcatrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #12

macarthur07
Hi All,

Was wondering whether the camcorder still available??

Enjoy your weekend!
Old 25-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #13

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #14

Hi , im looking for a camcorder that can play Digital 8 recorded tapes.
Got a bunch of old tapes to convert.
kokhon1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #15

Same here, also looking for it
mydelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.