Looking for Sony A6000 replacement

fxsgsc

Reaction score
Hi, I've using sony a6k since 2014 primarily shooting photo of my kids. I mostly pair it with my 35mm 1.8 len.

Unfortunately, due to drops both camera and len failed so now i'm looking for new cam. :(

I'm a little surpise its replacement, the a6500 cost nearly 2k while back in 2014, my a6k cost just 900.

I'm not looking at a6k again, I prefer new experience with other model or brand.
(Upgrade to be honest). As for budget, I'm comfortable with range around 2k.

Can anyone recommend me a good camera for my purpose beside a6500. Is a7ii ($200 more) a better choice? or other brand recommendation like cannon or Nikon.

Thks.

Last edited:

fxsgsc

Reaction score
A7ii with a Zeiss 55mm should have about same fov as your current setup and run about $2K

Thanks. I've intention to go for a7ii too.

Can I ask a question? I notice my a6000 (of course I don't have other better camera to compare) tend to capture my kids (3 yrs old) facial expressions better, as in less blur even when they run around.

As compared, my Samsung s7 can't match, unless they stand relatively still. I'm told it's due to a6000 AF, it's number of point, tracking and speed.

I also notice a7ii there's 117 points as compare to a6500 425 points. Can a7ii match a6500 in term of AF? and is total number of points a marketing trick or it does matter?

Thks

michaelakis

Reaction score
Thanks. I've intention to go for a7ii too.

Can I ask a question? I notice my a6000 (of course I don't have other better camera to compare) tend to capture my kids (3 yrs old) facial expressions better, as in less blur even when they run around.

As compared, my Samsung s7 can't match, unless they stand relatively still. I'm told it's due to a6000 AF, it's number of point, tracking and speed.

I also notice a7ii there's 117 points as compare to a6500 425 points. Can a7ii match a6500 in term of AF? and is total number of points a marketing trick or it does matter?

Thks
I can't comment on the 6500 since I've never used one, but my A7ii works well on my 4yo girl. Maybe those high numbers only matter if you're shooting on a racetrack for example? Idk.

pwnies5600

Reaction score
From an autofocus perspective, I personally wont get mirrorless just yet if I wanted absolute performance as they don't work as well as DSLR autofocus in low light conditions (the newer ones may work just as well though). In those cases, I'd usually grab a full sized DSLR like a Canon 70D or Nikon D7200, both of which are very good all-rounded cameras.

That being said, since OP seems to be looking for something small and light that's good for family photos and travel, I'd give my top picks to the Fujifilm X-T20 or Olympus EM-10 II. Fuji produced very nice images without processing them in post, while Olympus gives a wider selection of lenses which are relatively affordable. Both kits shouldn't cost more than 2k, and should give more than enough performance.

Though, if one prefers to stick with Sony, the A7ii is a solid pick too. Lenses may be on the expensive side, but hey, the quality is quite frankly fantastic and you get what you pay for. I don't think the AF points matter that much, just choose AF-C and as long as you keep your photo subject in the middle of the frame there shouldn't be too much issue with autofocus. (If you ask me personally, I think hundreds of AF points are just marketing gimmicks as I pretty much only use one point or center group AF points).

I would have recommended Canon's M5 or M6, but I haven't personally tested them and wouldn't vouch for their performance. My friend has one and he thinks it's great for travel, if that helps XD.

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those points matter for tracking. You can also consider an A6300

fxsgsc

Reaction score
From an autofocus perspective, I personally wont get mirrorless just yet if I wanted absolute performance as they don't work as well as DSLR autofocus in low light conditions (the newer ones may work just as well though). In those cases, I'd usually grab a full sized DSLR like a Canon 70D or Nikon D7200, both of which are very good all-rounded cameras.

That being said, since OP seems to be looking for something small and light that's good for family photos and travel, I'd give my top picks to the Fujifilm X-T20 or Olympus EM-10 II. Fuji produced very nice images without processing them in post, while Olympus gives a wider selection of lenses which are relatively affordable. Both kits shouldn't cost more than 2k, and should give more than enough performance.

Though, if one prefers to stick with Sony, the A7ii is a solid pick too. Lenses may be on the expensive side, but hey, the quality is quite frankly fantastic and you get what you pay for. I don't think the AF points matter that much, just choose AF-C and as long as you keep your photo subject in the middle of the frame there shouldn't be too much issue with autofocus. (If you ask me personally, I think hundreds of AF points are just marketing gimmicks as I pretty much only use one point or center group AF points).

I would have recommended Canon's M5 or M6, but I haven't personally tested them and wouldn't vouch for their performance. My friend has one and he thinks it's great for travel, if that helps XD.

Thanks for recommendation.
I'm considering the d7200 too. It successor, the d7500 recently release but I think it's too expensive at 2.4k.

I'll research more on Fujifilm and Olympus.

fxsgsc

Reaction score
Those points matter for tracking. You can also consider an A6300

Thanks.

I extensively research the different between both model and two major changes is built-in stabiliser and touch screen.

I guess since I mostly shoot on my kids, the ability to touch to focus on them is an added advantages, both picture and video.

Last edited:

fxsgsc

Reaction score
List I research, which I think is suitable for my purpose (budget need to include len, if not I can't take anything!).

list price with kit len:
Canon EOS 7D M2 >$3k - out of budget
Canon EOS 77 $1.8k

Nikon D500 >$3k - out of budget
Nikon D7500 $2.4k
Nikon D7200 $1.8k

Sony a7ii $2.3k
Sony 6500 ~ $2.3k (with at least one len)
Sony 6300 $1.5k

Fuji xt20 - $2k
Olympus (not considering as i want at least apsc)

year2013

Master Member
Reaction score
List I research, which I think is suitable for my purpose (budget need to include len, if not I can't take anything!).

list price with kit len:
Canon EOS 77 $1.8k

Nikon D7500 $2.4k
Nikon D7200 $1.8k

Sony a7ii $2.3k
Sony 6300 $1.5k

Fuji xt20 - $2k

I would advise you to go and try olympus with two prime lenses 17mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8
In terms of IQ (considering price) Olympus is real killer !!
Only good body will not gv good pictures, but good lens does !!

Last edited:

falcon2000

Reaction score

list price with kit len:
Canon EOS 77 $1.8k

Nikon D7500 $2.4k
Nikon D7200 $1.8k

Sony a7ii $2.3k
Sony 6300 $1.5k

Fuji xt20 - $2k

I got some information of Sony a7ii has bad autofocus in low light condition and Fuji xt-20 has issue of flickering lcd dan evf.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59401444

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

list price with kit len:
Canon EOS 77 $1.8k

Nikon D7500 $2.4k
Nikon D7200 $1.8k

Sony a7ii $2.3k
Sony 6300 $1.5k

Fuji xt20 - $2k
I am ready to buy X-T20 myself. Body and XF35F2 WR cost under 2k. I see its short coming is no BIS. Other than that I think its a good camera.

fxsgsc

Reaction score
I am ready to buy X-T20 myself. Body and XF35F2 WR cost under 2k. I see its short coming is no BIS. Other than that I think its a good camera.

I'm leaning toward xt20 at this point.

For my purpose, mainly taking photos of my kids, would

(a) kit len xf18-55 be sufficient as starter len? addon example xf35f2 in future.

(b) or body plus xf35f2 up front adding zoom lens in furutre. Previously my a6k I pair it with kit len and addon sel35f1.8.

(c) or body plus xf23f1.4 up front as all purpose len (if possible) so unlikely to add lens in near future.

Last edited:

N3wXTyp3

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward xt20 at this point.

For my purpose, mainly taking photos of my kids, would

(a) kit len xf18-55 be sufficient as starter len? addon example xf35f2 in future.

(b) or body plus xf35f2 up front adding zoom lens in furutre. Previously my a6k I pair it with kit len and addon sel35f1.8.

(c) or body plus xf23f1.4 up front as all purpose len (if possible) so unlikely to add lens in near future.

Go for the T20 with kit, the kit lens is amazing and if you don't want to invest alot of lenses for the start, try the kit lens out.

This is not those very basic kit lenses which other brands tends to bundled with.

Super good for a Zoom.

If you like the camera system, you can access to FujiFilm Studio and borrow lenses to try before whacking the wallet.

fxsgsc

Reaction score
Go for the T20 with kit, the kit lens is amazing and if you don't want to invest alot of lenses for the start, try the kit lens out.

This is not those very basic kit lenses which other brands tends to bundled with.

Super good for a Zoom.

If you like the camera system, you can access to FujiFilm Studio and borrow lenses to try before whacking the wallet.

Thanks for your recommendation.

For my needs, I'm happy with just a general walk around and fast len. Usually i use the fast 35mm f1.8 if focus is my kids and background not tat important.

I'll use the general walk around (the stand kit) if I want the backdrop beside my kids, like when going on holiday.

Haha

N3wXTyp3

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your recommendation.

For my needs, I'm happy with just a general walk around and fast len. Usually i use the fast 35mm f1.8 if focus is my kids and background not tat important.

I'll use the general walk around (the stand kit) if I want the backdrop beside my kids, like when going on holiday.

Haha

You will like 23mm F2.

The newer lenses performs well.

The kit and 23(35 in FF) is a good combo.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.