HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Please recommend me a camera!!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #1

Please recommend me a camera!!

Been reading around for the past few days. Decided on either mirrorless or compact. Donít want to lug a dslr while traveling cos Iím used to traveling light.

Compact - lx100, g7x or rx100
Mirrorless - a6000, omd em10

My Budget is around 1k with Lens kit if mirrorless. Please recommend other brand/models if there are better camera and fit into my Budget.

Mainly will using for travel and street photography. Am a beginner by the way.

Thanks so much!!
DOGGYCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Y wann spend so much on compact whereby quality lose to simple cheap DSLR other than its size
endlssorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Get rx100 mk3 since your budget allows it.

Better than dslr because dslr is bulkier, heavier, lower native iso, no f1.8, no 5axis in body stabilization, no built in nd filter, lower fps in continuous mode, less effects, no multishot noise reduction, no flip screen, no 60fps video, no full sensor readout for video, more buttons, no built in lens cap, lens cannot collapse into the body, longer minimum focal distance, no f2.8 aperture at tele end, no silent shutter.

Silent shutter is good for areas where photography is not allowed, and you can take pictures of people without them noticing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tJbLQbz9uCuoGVVf9

Last edited by yusoffb01; 30-04-2018 at 08:10 PM..
yusoffb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Y wann spend so much on compact whereby quality lose to simple cheap DSLR other than its size
das right ^
tjrsasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

Better than dslr because dslr is bulkier, heavier, lower native iso, no f1.8, no 5axis in body stabilization, no built in nd filter, lower fps in continuous mode, less effects, no multishot noise reduction, no flip screen, no 60fps video, no full sensor readout for video, more buttons, no built in lens cap, lens cannot collapse into the body, longer minimum focal distance, no f2.8 aperture at tele end, no silent shutter.

Silent shutter is good for areas where photography is not allowed, and you can take pictures of people without them noticing

The photos you show is reason to use a dlsr or mirroless camera instead

The landscape shot has the sky overexposed and washed out while the dark areas are underexposed.

The rest of the pictures have too much noise.

Not much of a improvement over a smart phone camera.
endlssorrow likes this.
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #6

quite biased. lets just compare this with the nikon d5500 dslr which is of similar price range.

- dslr because dslr is bulkier, heavier: true
- lower native iso: lower iso number doesnt mean better low light capabilities
- no f1.8: dslr can get any lens of any aperture (even focal lengths)
- no 5axis in body stabilization: true
- no built in nd filter: true, but no need for built in nd for street/portrait
- lower fps in continuous mode: true
- less effects: who uses effects
- no multishot noise reduction: true
- no flip screen: nope. yours is flip only. d5500 is fully articulating. any angles
- no 60fps video: nope. d5500 have 1080p 60fps
- no full sensor readout for video: true
- more buttons: means emore functionality. no need to dig through menu
- no built in lens cap: means can change lenses and not stick to one
- lens cannot collapse into the body: true - longer minimum focal distance: dslr can have any minimal focal distance with any available lens
- no f2.8 aperture at tele end: same as above
- no silent shutter: true

advantages of d5500 over yours:
- touch screen
- higher max iso (25600 vs 12800)
- hot shoe mount
- higher resolution (24 vs 20)
- more focal points (39 vs 25)
- can take more pics per charge (820 vs 320)
- higher max shutter speed (1/4000 vs 1/2000)
- larger screen (3.2" vs 3")
- external mic input
- higher colour depth
- higher dynamic range
- bigger sensor size (means better low light capabilities)

mirrorless/compact tech is good but sometimes, dslrs are better in value at some price range and not in others.

fun fact! most lenses for mirrorless are actually larger and heavier than the equivalent lenses built for dslr.. so the weight and size savings that you get for going mirrorless is actually less than you thought.
Old 30-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #7

the reason why I didnít consider dslr is written in my post. I would argue the same as to why ppl will prefer to get an Ultrabook vs a gaming laptop, Portability. Will try out dslr vs compacts vs mirrorless soon.

Thanks for input everyone!! Point taken for the price value and form vs performance part.
DOGGYCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
Supremacy Member

no problem! Glad i could help
Old 30-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Been reading around for the past few days. Decided on either mirrorless or compact. Don’t want to lug a dslr while traveling cos I’m used to traveling light.

Compact - lx100, g7x or rx100
Mirrorless - a6000, omd em10

My Budget is around 1k with Lens kit if mirrorless. Please recommend other brand/models if there are better camera and fit into my Budget.

Mainly will using for travel and street photography. Am a beginner by the way.

Thanks so much!!
I'm using a GX7 with 12-32mm & 17mm F1.8 for my travel needs.
Total damage is approx $1k at that time of purchase.
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #10

Ever consider used set? Fujifilm has been producing very good mirrorless system with high quality lens. Sometimes you can get pretty good deal over at ClubSNAP market place, you just need to be patient and wait for it. Here's one example for Fujifilm X-T1,

https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/wts...-x-t1.1720557/
thsnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #11

the reason why I didnít consider dslr is written in my post. I would argue the same as to why ppl will prefer to get an Ultrabook vs a gaming laptop, Portability. Will try out dslr vs compacts vs mirrorless soon.

Thanks for input everyone!! Point taken for the price value and form vs performance part.
my reply wasnt for you. it was for the person whom i replied to. thanks.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:02 AM   #12

no problem! Glad i could help
its good to help. but please give advice that can stand their own ground instead of vomiting all that you think is right..
Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 AM   #13

Ever consider used set? Fujifilm has been producing very good mirrorless system with high quality lens. Sometimes you can get pretty good deal over at ClubSNAP market place, you just need to be patient and wait for it. Here's one example for Fujifilm X-T1,

https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/wts...-x-t1.1720557/
yeah.. actually i would go for a second hand mirrorless camera over a brand new compact. more flexibility over which lens you can go with.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
Supremacy Member

If you want details and full frame in a small size

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/...ras/dsc-rx1rm2
Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
Supremacy Member

Waaaaa won liao $5k
endlssorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.