HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Rangefinder Film Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

Rangefinder Film Photography

Wanted to try out film photography thus hoping to get some recommendations.

Was on a lookout and shortlisted the Yashica Electro 35 GSN film, Minolta Hi-matic E and Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII FILM?

Hope for more recommendations for a beginner. Thanks
Matrock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #2

The Yashica Electro has batteries that may be difficult to obtain, unless you have the right adapter. I have not tried the Minolta rangefinders.

One of my favourite compact rangefinder film cameras is the Olympus XA. It's solidly built, fits in my pocket and has an excellent lens. Plus it uses just two ubiquitous LR44 / SR44 batteries. They are quite abundant on the used market (not like there are any new ones being made) as well so you shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for a fully working copy in near new condition

Compacts aside, rangefinder film cameras are also available as interchangeable lens cameras. Some more affordable options would be the Kiev 4, Zorki 4 and the Canon 7. A body and a handful of nice m39 or canon thread mount lenses will run you just a fraction of what a Leica rangefinder camera would cost.

Of course, if you just want to try out film photography, there are many other film cameras available. The mid 90s to early 00s saw some excellent autofocus compact cameras from Canon, Pentax and Olympus. If you want a reliable one on the cheap, the Pentax Espio series cameras can't be beat. They can often be had for around $50, sometimes even less.

If you already have Canon or Nikon SLR lenses, you can also get a SLR film body in the respective lens mount for use with your lenses. The entry-level ones (but by no means poorly made or lacking in features) such as the Canon EOS 50, Nikon F80 should satisfy the needs of most people. Pentax also made film SLRs that are compatible with their modern K mount lenses but I have not used them before so I am unable to point you to a specific model in that regard.

Given that there are such a large number and variety of film cameras available on the used market, there shouldn't be a need to restrict oneself to a few specific models (unless you know exactly why you want that specific model and that other models do not offer a shooting experience that that one does). A lot of these cameras sold for much, much more back in the day and for good reason. You'll definitely be able to find something within your budget that suits your needs.
pwnies5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Greater Supremacy Member

35mm, can look at Zeiss Ikon
lemondrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.