HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Recommend me a camera

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #76

Hey bro Byfrost, it's perfectly alright whether if you choose Fujifilm, Sony or Canon, the most important thing is you have to like using the camera otherwise it will just end up sitting in the dry box all the time.

In my first post I already mentioned the X-T30 will be above your budget and if the $1,000 budget is your number 1 consideration than I believe those few interchangeable lens cameras you mentioned might be the only few better choice you can get.

As quite a few members have mentioned, buying into a camera system, the camera body is only the initial investment. The quality and cost of the lenes system are the more important factor to consider. For me as an example, the number of lenses I have now can easily buy me another 2 to 3 X-T3 body. If I have gone for the Sony full frame route, I wouldn't have been able to own the number of lenes that I have now. Just sharing our experience with our camera system and hopefully it will help you in deciding which camera to buy .
Byfrost likes this.
thsnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #77
Supremacy Member

I think you need to do the further math on the lenses before you assume going full frame is only a few hundred bucks more than going APSC. The body is only the tip of the iceberg in camera shopping.

A "good lens" on any sensor format can cost as much as the body itself go to sony's site and see how many of the full frame E-mount lenses have 4-digit price. The commonly-used FE 24-105mm F4 which is not even part of the GM series has a nearly 2k SGD MSRP
It all depends on the kind of photography one is interested in.

It is no point to get an expensive FF body if one is not doing wide landscapes, or don't need billboard size printouts for all of one's shots.

In this regard, it is pointless to buy a FF camera and then do zooming with it. With APS-C, there's no need for such zooming, and it's so much cheaper and economical.
yoyokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #78

Yup, I know.. I'm just merely comparing basic kit to kit package for starters, to be fair. Long term lens investment is definitely a huge difference price between APS-C and Full Frame. I guess I will go for rental lens in the long run.

A Sony A7 with 28-70mm now is $1899 (Sony promo), where as the Fuji X-T30 is already $1549 (15-45mm XC) and $1899 (18-55mm XF kit) for the pre order price.

Hence, I have to really have the spending discipline to set a cut off price for my budget and not fall into the "top up a bit more to get something better endless hole" mindset. If i'm a seasoned photographer, sure, I can afford the $1.8k. But as a total beginner, I have to be discipline with my money for now.
If you want to keep talking "tight budget" and "beginner" maybe its time to consider micro four thirds, go straight down to the bottom of the food chain and start with an olympus pen or panasonic GF. They're entry level but still have interchangeable lens and still have manual controls.

You should not be talking full frame as if it were something you might actually consider if it were cheap enough because FF is unsuitable for street/travel due to the bulk

if you look at this A7II it doesnt look so big compared to the A6000 beside it but the real majority of any camera's footprint lies in its lens, that's something you may not necessarily tell from display units in shop

As quite a few members have mentioned, buying into a camera system, the camera body is only the initial investment. The quality and cost of the lenes system are the more important factor to consider.
I also feel like for a beginner there is really no point to go all the way and get something like full frame

Even APSC might be overkill for someone starting out and who just needs something to serve as a trainer device to get the hang of how to operate a camera manually, especially people who are so used to smartphone style everything touchscreen type of control.

To share my personal experience from smartphone to camera, one thing that smartphone users definitely dont get to experience is how aperture and manual focus works so 1st time on camera can be daunting

In smartphone manual aperture flat out doesnt exist so in camera it really is a new world. Digital cameras have so much more depth of field than a smartphone that unwanted background blur can be a real thing that catch newbies off guard oof they always shoot wide open, like taking group photos where only those standing in front are in focus while those behind are blurred.

And manual focus on phones is a slider where if you want infinity you just drag slider to the mountain icon. On cameras its a ring on the lens that just turns and turns forever and you can overshot infinity if you turn too much then from sharp background it become blur again
Byfrost likes this.

Last edited by chiaRH; 21-02-2019 at 10:47 AM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #79

Hey bro Byfrost, it's perfectly alright whether if you choose Fujifilm, Sony or Canon, the most important thing is you have to like using the camera otherwise it will just end up sitting in the dry box all the time.

In my first post I already mentioned the X-T30 will be above your budget and if the $1,000 budget is your number 1 consideration than I believe those few interchangeable lens cameras you mentioned might be the only few better choice you can get.

As quite a few members have mentioned, buying into a camera system, the camera body is only the initial investment. The quality and cost of the lenes system are the more important factor to consider. For me as an example, the number of lenses I have now can easily buy me another 2 to 3 X-T3 body. If I have gone for the Sony full frame route, I wouldn't have been able to own the number of lenes that I have now. Just sharing our experience with our camera system and hopefully it will help you in deciding which camera to buy .

Hey, bro thsnco. Thanks for the recommendation.

I just thought if exceed my budget a little bit (say, $100 to $150), that's understandable, I can probably wait a little later (few months?) so I can haggle down the price and ask for more discounts.

I agree with you, during this decision making process, I actually learned that lens investment is the long term factor that one need to consider before buying into a particular's brand system, because if one is to switch system, it's gonna be a hell costly decision to make, granted I do know there are adapters out there but you face the risk of your lens not working as intended if you use adapter. Like you said, buying the body is just the beginning.
Byfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #80

I just thought if exceed my budget a little bit (say, $100 to $150), that's understandable, I can probably wait a little later (few months?) so I can haggle down the price and ask for more discounts.

I agree with you, during this decision making process, I actually learned that lens investment is the long term factor that one need to consider before buying into a particular's brand system, because if one is to switch system, it's gonna be a hell costly decision to make, granted I do know there are adapters out there but you face the risk of your lens not working as intended if you use adapter. Like you said, buying the body is just the beginning.
Hi byfrost, the it show just ended...
Have you bought ur camera?

I watched a lot of youtube reviews...

Was considering canon m50 and the fujifilm xt100.
I want a good sensor camera with flip out lcd.

Why you not short listing xt100 anymore?
One con of this camera is the 4k 15ps.

I hope they will come out with xt200 this year though...and give us 4k 24ps...

Let me know what you think...
SexyLeeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:06 AM   #81

why didn't you see other brand like Olympus the IT show olympus lens got a huge discount i just bought my 12-40mm lens at 900
AhNehDuaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #82

Hi byfrost, the it show just ended...
Have you bought ur camera?

I watched a lot of youtube reviews...

Was considering canon m50 and the fujifilm xt100.
I want a good sensor camera with flip out lcd.

Why you not short listing xt100 anymore?
One con of this camera is the 4k 15ps.

I hope they will come out with xt200 this year though...and give us 4k 24ps...

Let me know what you think...
Not yet, IT Show got no super amazing deals. Essentially I can the same or even better price outside at any time. Only thing I noticed is Sony has better freebies during IT show.

I doubt the "X-T200" will be out so soon, given that X-T100 is a July/August 2018 product, so it's not even a year old.

Reason of why I hesitate on the X-T100 is because of the slow auto focus.

I spoke to one of the Fuji person at the IT show, and he also admit that yes, the X-T 100 auto focus is quite slow, but he hopes that there will be a firmware patch out in April to fix that. If you shoot in everything auto, the auto focus is really sluggish, even the Fuji guy also mentioned that.

However, set the AF to single point AF, it will be more snappy. He suspects it is firmware issue as he pointed out when you set everything to Auto, the shutter speed somehow drops to a very low speed, which in turn leads to very sluggish auto focus.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #83

why didn't you see other brand like Olympus the IT show olympus lens got a huge discount i just bought my 12-40mm lens at 900
APS-C > MFT.

Just kidding. No feels for Olympus and Panasonic.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:28 AM   #84

APS-C > MFT.

Just kidding. No feels for Olympus and Panasonic.
depend ba.. but i not sure APS-C mirrorless is bigger and heavier compare to MFT or not..
my friend who bought dslr last time keep complain neck pain then he jealous my camera weight
AhNehDuaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:26 AM   #85
Arch-Supremacy Member

depend ba.. but i not sure APS-C mirrorless is bigger and heavier compare to MFT or not..
my friend who bought dslr last time keep complain neck pain then he jealous my camera weight
Except for certain lens, MFT lenses is generally smaller than APS-C lenses.
You can size comparion of bodies with lenses here: https://camerasize.com/compact/
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:03 AM   #86

MFT and APSC are quite close in size so their lenses wont differ much in size. MFT is not as compact as you may think. The good lenses that are worth getting are still quite big, at least over 6-12cm long.

your friend who bought a APSC DSLR, his neck pain is caused by the bulk of the DSLR body, not the size of the sensor. DSLR bodies are big cos of the mirror and pentaprism. And even mirrorless bodies, once you start putting in stuff like IBIS or more battery capacity, they wont exactly be super compact either.

Last edited by chiaRH; 12-03-2019 at 02:17 AM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #87

That’s awesome advice :-)
honeydewmelater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:58 AM   #88

Lol just dropped my a6000 and broke the view finder.
fergsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #89
Great Supremacy Member

oly 12-40 f2.8 pro??

It's a great piece of glass. Use to be on ep5 with that combo before switching to em1.

But becos my bro was working in oly back then so can get better prices during their internal sales.
Gixxerfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #90
Arch-Supremacy Member

Lol just dropped my a6000 and broke the view finder.
First step of owning a camera is learning how to properly wrap the strap around your hand when you hold it
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.