Recommend me a camera

Byfrost

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a total newbie in photography, and I'm currently looking for a camera to potentially start this hobby.

I'm trying to read as much as possible in the meantime.

My budget is around $1k, but lower will be great. I've been watching YouTube recommendations and I listed down a few:

1) FujiFlim XF10
2) FujiFlim XT100
3) Canon EOS M50
4) Ricoh GR3 (coming out soon),

Here are my requirements:

1) APS-C Sensor size.

1) Pocket-able size (I know, options 2 and 3 are not), but would be good for travelling.

2) General "All in one" camera that can be used in all situations, a "balanced" camera. I know, most would say "there is no such thing as an all in one camera or lens". But for a beginner who wants to shoot random stuff, what do you recommend? I like to take photos of landscape, animals, scenery, "street photography", plants etc

3) Should I invest more in a camera with interchangeable lens, or should i get a camera that has a fixed lens?

What if I buy the fixed lens point and shoot, and I want to change lens in future to further my photography hobby? What If I spend more and get a camera with interchangeable lens, and end up sticking to the same kit lens forever? Any experts here to chime in their opinions?

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cant speak for those 4 models becos i've never used them and only been a canon/sony fanboy
closest was to a canon M because i had invested in canon EF/EFS lens for my DSLR and would just need an M adaptor but i took another plunge and went for sony.

since you are a total noob, selecting the system is pretty important because u will probably be invested in the lens as well.

you basically answered your own question in buying fixed lens and what not so....yea
if you are still undecided, why not loan from a friend or buy 2nd hand.
if one month later and you find yourself not loving photography, you can return or resell it.

chiaRH

Reaction score
3) Should I invest more in a camera with interchangeable lens, or should i get a camera that has a fixed lens?

What if I buy the fixed lens point and shoot, and I want to change lens in future to further my photography hobby? What If I spend more and get a camera with interchangeable lens, and end up sticking to the same kit lens forever? Any experts here to chime in their opinions?

Interchangeable is always better as it gives more flexibility. If you buy an interchangeable lens camera and only stick to the kit lens, you still have an upgrade path if you are more interested to try other lenses in future.

But you have to ask yourself how truly enthusiastic you are about photography. You know your own preferences the best so you decide how far you want to take photography.

Owning a camera isn't just about buying a body and lens. you have tripods and filters if you want to do long exposure (and most people would highly recommend a UV filter as protection for your lens), you'll need to invest in storage for your lenses (drybox, dessicants etc)

Most people today just use their smartphones for photography due to the sheer convenience and also because smartphone photo quality has improved a lot.

You have to consider what way does your current smartphone fall short of your requirements that you'd want to invest in a dedicated camera? Because if the phone all along is good enough for your needs, owning a camera might be a waste, and an expensive waste too.

Last edited:

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
landscape : wide angle lens
street for everyday walkabout scenes : kit zoom lens will do
protraits : some fast prime lens
sports: telephoto lens to get closer to the players' action
food and insects : macro lens

all the makers should and would have an extensive list of lens listed above....

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To fully learn photography. U need dslr that can shoot manual, playing with different type of metering.. playing with exposures, flash,etc..

Know the mechanics of photography then learn composition etc.. When to over expose or under expose.

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To fully learn photography. U need dslr that can shoot manual, playing with different type of metering.. playing with exposures, flash,etc..

Know the mechanics of photography then learn composition etc.. When to over expose or under expose.

actually....

mirrorless and some good compact camera have manual controls

even smartphone also have manual controls

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually....

Maybe it’s the feel.... of something heavy built, the ability to turn and flick aperture/shutter speed settings, a viewfinder....
A mobile phone can’t give u that control feeling. It’s basically tap this and that..a GUI.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually....

Mirror less and phone due to the size u dun have that control like exposure lock.. Types of focusing, types of metering, different wb control, iso control, remote flash control etc.. There are more in a full fledge dslr camera compare to most mirrorless cam.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a total newbie in photography, and I'm currently looking for a camera to potentially start this hobby.

I'm trying to read as much as possible in the meantime.

My budget is around $1k, but lower will be great. I've been watching YouTube recommendations and I listed down a few:

1) FujiFlim XF10
2) FujiFlim XT100
3) Canon EOS M50
4) Ricoh GR3 (coming out soon),

Here are my requirements:

1) APS-C Sensor size.

1) Pocket-able size (I know, options 2 and 3 are not), but would be good for travelling.

2) General "All in one" camera that can be used in all situations, a "balanced" camera. I know, most would say "there is no such thing as an all in one camera or lens". But for a beginner who wants to shoot random stuff, what do you recommend? I like to take photos of landscape, animals, scenery, "street photography", plants etc

Read here first and see if it helps to answer some of your queries: https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

This below, how to advise you ? This is something ONLY YOU can decide, wherther you want to jump straight to system cameras or start with simple cameras first. When I started this hobby, I started with PnS first and moving to M43 after learning the basics.

" What if I buy the fixed lens point and shoot, and I want to change lens in future to further my photography hobby? What If I spend more and get a camera with interchangeable lens, and end up sticking to the same kit lens forever? Any experts here to chime in their opinions? "

Last edited:

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Read here first and see if it helps to answer some of your queries: https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

This below, how to advise you ? This is something ONLY YOU can decide, wherther you want to jump straight to system cameras or start with simple cameras first. When I started this hobby, I started with PnS first and moving to M43 after learning the basics.

" What if I buy the fixed lens point and shoot, and I want to change lens in future to further my photography hobby? What If I spend more and get a camera with interchangeable lens, and end up sticking to the same kit lens forever? Any experts here to chime in their opinions? "

That's why I said straight jump to dslr.. Once u master dslr.. What mirrorless, what pns and wat camera phone is going to be chicken feet to u. U will know how to take better and wat u want effects.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recommend GR III :D

Used GRD 3 & GR. Love them to death. But all 2 were short lived.:(

Now looking forward for the GR III to come out so that I can retire my X100F(if I can convince wife on why I need "GR III" when I have an X100F). I always use an fixed lens compact, X100F is the biggest & heaviest cam I ever own. I really missed the small and pocket friendly size of GRs.

Here's one sample gallery shot on GR

https://www.flickr.com/gp/linuxera/RRqSSx

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Now looking forward for the GR III to come out so that I can retire my X100F(if I can convince wife on why I need "GR III" when I have an X100F). I always use an fixed lens compact, X100F is the biggest & heaviest cam I ever own. I really missed the small and pocket friendly size of GRs.

How much is the GR III going for now ? If price similar to LX100 Mark II, my recommendation would actually go to the panasonic despite M43 sensor.

fongwk8

Reaction score
Mirror less and phone due to the size u dun have that control like exposure lock.. Types of focusing, types of metering, different wb control, iso control, remote flash control etc.. There are more in a full fledge dslr camera compare to most mirrorless cam.

Don't like that say leh... Sony APS-C and full frame mirrorless all have the same controls as DSLR one

chiaRH

Reaction score

I have a LG G4 from 2015 it's not even a real camera, yet its camera app has all the things you mentioned above except remote flash.
lg-g4-manual-camera-mode.jpg

these days the only thing a DSLR has that nothing else have, is a mirror on the inside.

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the phone cam doesnt let u have "physical" control over those settings what a real cam does.
the closest maybe will be haptic feedback buttons

just like driving auto over manual cars...makes things so much easier for beginners...and u feel more in control driving a stick.

the phone camera sensor size is also smaller compared to APSC/4-3 let alone FF so most are "digitally enhanced" images...like how i am fascinated by the p20 cameras performing in lowlight

of course if your pictures are just for instagram..... stick with a phone cam...saves you trouble of transferring the pics over though it is more seemless nowadays. no one is gonna pixel peep 400%....u can even get away with easy editors to remove some artifacts

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much is the GR III going for now ? If price similar to LX100 Mark II, my recommendation would actually go to the panasonic despite M43 sensor.

Not cheap, its about USD1000, but not official yet. Launching only Feb/Mar. LX100MkII is good too. But not pocketable like my X100F. GR II is expected to be cheaper, as usual. Can get that instead, might be a better choice than GRIII due to the flash.

Last edited:

Byfrost

Reaction score

GR 3 is not out yet, and I'm on the fence on getting a GR2 because... well like kinda a bit 'wasted' to buy a old model when a new one is coming out soon. I know, this is not the case for cameras, where people actually encourage to get an older model of a camera if budget permits. Nothing wrong with that. It's about me. lol:o

Byfrost

Reaction score
If u really want learn photography.. Get an entry DSLR.

That's what I thought, too.

I spoke to few reputable camera shops. All of them told me the same advice. Do not get an DSLR, just for the sake of the name DSLR.

If you want to learn, a decent mirrorless system can enable you to learn as well. Yes, you will miss the optical viewfinder, and your selection of lens available for the particular mounting type is VERY limited.. But, do you really need all the lens out in the market available to you?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.