HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Smartphone vs The Camera Industry

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #16

The Reno 10x Zoom is a bulky phone and can be awkward to carry around. The glass rear is a little slippery too, but this looks and feels like a very high-end phone.

Oh I forgot - The cameras are very flexible and the 6x and 10x zoom capabilities are impressive. So get this!
charlesdygreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #17

true, smartphones nowadays are getting op tho...

I think what's important is always having something to capture to develop your skills and I think a smartphone does that excelently...
kennut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #18

I think for a hobbyist, the smartphone is the absolute best option already because it's so portable yet so competent...

especially now with all the different accessories for the handphone to improve production quality like stabilizers like osmo, lenses like moment lens, different camera apps which allow you to adjust shutter speed, iso, etc. it's so easy to improve in your craft without needing a full on dslr or mirrorless
kennut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

The innate picture quality is limited by small sensor and lenses of smartphone. But the large leaps in mobile imaging are mainly the impressive progress of Ai computational photography e.g Google Nightsight. In certain trying settings, a smartphone can produce great pics in quick time. Depth mapping is slowly trying to reproduce the thin dof "bokeh" shots of traditional large aperture interchangeable setups.

Software can greatly untap the physical limits of hardware.

DSLR/mirrorless interchange setups give much better IQ by virtue of having much larger sensors and better glasses, and intricate manual controls over the process. I think big makers need to start incorporating some level of machine learning algorithms to bring it to the next level.
ttmaxx likes this.
RyanJosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #20

For a work shoot, do you guys think a camera phone will work? Only for social ah.
ttmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #21
Great Supremacy Member

magnus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 06:27 AM   #22

Does anyone find it awkward and unnatural to hold a smart phone and take picture? I find it not very stable and hard to compose the picture. I still prefer to peek thru' the view finder with one arm prop on my chest. One of the joy of photography is peeking into the view finder. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited by ipevery; 27-03-2020 at 06:29 AM..
ipevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #23

Does anyone find it awkward and unnatural to hold a smart phone and take picture? I find it not very stable and hard to compose the picture. I still prefer to peek thru' the view finder with one arm prop on my chest. One of the joy of photography is peeking into the view finder. Maybe it's just me.
For me, it depends on what I am taking.
I am more "natural" using mid range APS-C DSLR with battery grip.
keenklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #24

The Samsung hand phone shows more details and sharper images than the Sony camera.
andyhtc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 02:44 AM   #25

I prefer this line of thinking : the camera is a smartphone whose sole function is taking pics, but one it excels at.

however you need to go into the RAW files of a cameras pics and manually edit to get the most out of your camera, jpg processing in a camera is pretty basic & limited as compared to what smartphone computation can do.

and bcos of this, new generation of photographers not only need a good eye & skill with the camera, but also need to be good at post processing.

the camera's processor is devoted to af, capturing burst shots light measurements etc.

modern smartphone excels in computation e.g. fake bokeh, guessing & stitching the scene e.g. HDR, but the sensor is small, it will always lose out in DR, tonal accuracy, low light/high speed situations, no matter what the marketing hype of the smartphone says.

the focus now is on improving smartphone sensors, but this is good for cameras too, any improvements in phone sensors will scale to APS, medium format etc.

it is true that most pictures are viewed on smartphone these days, but a trained eye can almost always tell the difference between a phone & camera pic.
balonglong_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #26

Really stunning
Traver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #27

Edit wrong post
Traver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #28

Huawei apologises for using DSLR shots to promote its smartphone photo contest

Huawei was caught once again for using DSLR photos to promote its smartphones.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech...-photo-contest
Old 21-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #29

DSLR still rules when it comes to taking very high quality photographs
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.