Sony A7 or Fuji X-T20

year2013

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is there anyone who tried both of these cameras? Could u please let me know which one i should go for?
I m long time Canon user but now want to move to mirrorless. I have seens reviews for both and both looks good on papers, I was almost sure of buying Sony but suddenly came across Fuji and hence confusion.
Any feedback appreciated..

N3wXTyp3

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is there anyone who tried both of these cameras? Could u please let me know which one i should go for?
I m long time Canon user but now want to move to mirrorless. I have seens reviews for both and both looks good on papers, I was almost sure of buying Sony but suddenly came across Fuji and hence confusion.
Any feedback appreciated..

This is very subjective but I will provided my personal viewpoint here. It is only correct IMO but the rest of the judgment is up to you.

Firstly, Sony A7 and Fujifilm they are totally different camera.

Sony A7 is a full frame sensor while Fuji T20 comes as an APS-C sensor.

The biggest thing I would like you to take note is that A7 is a very old camera compared to their recently A72 or A7R2 and T20 despite an APS-C sensor it spots on with Sony’s latest sensor.

A FF will provided a different DOF, my short experience with Sony A72 is not super pleasant, or rather I don’t like it, as to change settings is too cumbersome for me. I like the more direct dials approach Fuji has.

I find that A7 while it is in itself a good camera, firstly why it is not for me. Most pictures requires a lot of post processing else I really dislike the OOC output and it being a FF sensor translate to bigger lens which you can see for yourself at the shops.

T20 is small and too small for me but the OOC and RAW are more pleasing and easy to work with.

There you have it.

By the way T20 can do 4k video... A7 cannot.

This thread has a lot of information and you should consider looking it up.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/d...ndation-dslr-mirrorless-beginner-5614605.html

Last edited:

phuturz

Reaction score
N3wXTyp3 raises good points. In our testing of the X-T2 and X-Pro2 (which the X-T20 gets the sensor from), we thought the image quality was close to or better than that from similar 20MP full-frame sensor cameras. So, you won't go wrong either way there.

I think the other consideration would be the total weight (and cost) of the system - ie camera and lenses. Full-frame sensors require larger lenses as the image circle to cover is larger. That will add to the weight, so you might not see that much gain from your Canon system.

Handling is also important as pointed out, but that's a very subjective thing so you really need to go play with both cameras in a shop to see which one you like better.

Finally, price. You might be able to find a good deal on a secondhand A7 with lenses on the market now, so if that fits your budget better and you like the handling for the Sony A series more, then go ahead.

Ultimately, consider the system as a whole instead of just the camera body. Both systems are capable of great images, so try them out and see which one you like!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have almost gotten the last weekend Fujifilm deal for XT20 and XF35F2 with a good freebie of the handle. I have a planned trip coming up in Sep. Will remain patient till Aug :)

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
handling is subjective.

One may want to consider the whole solution (body+lens) before decision.
Happy Choosing!

xt2tilt1_2040.0.jpg

indigo22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
disclaimer: i'm a Sony A7R user,and i shoot mostly landscapes and street candids

summary: go for the XT20

reasons
- fuji uses a different style of sensor compared to sony, does a lab comparison is useless because its comparing orange to apple...
- the sony a7, whilst still technologically up there, is after a pretty old camera compared to the xt20...
- the xt20 produces excellent images too (unless u tell me u work for NatGeo and every pixels matter la haha)
- right out of the camera, fuji's pictures are nicer. Sony files tend to require some PP before you get the best out of it.

year2013

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
After so much confusion i finally bought
olympus om-d e-m5 mark ii

I tried Fuji and Olympus, somehow didnt like the grip of Fuji hence bought Olympus.
Using with 17mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8 lenses and trust me the IQ is great - m really surprized, considering its cheaper than Fujis and Sonys!!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.