HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Sony Full frame lens recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #1

Sony Full frame lens recommendation

Recently switched from Nikon to my first full frame camera. Just wondering if anyone have any suggestions on which lenses should I start with. planning to do some landscape/travel photography.

Budget? can't afford / justify G master lens for my occasional usage.

Currently doing some researching and considering this few.

Sony 16-35 F4
Tamron 28-75 f2.8

maybe should get a prime?
can't decide between
Zeiss 55 f.8 or 35 f1.4 (probably secondhand)

any place can go down for hands on and try them out? might get a loaner lens from sony to try out

P.S any ND filter recommendation? Anyone tried the nisi beginner 2 filter pack?

Last edited by xiaosinsinful; 14-02-2019 at 08:58 AM..
xiaosinsinful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

Sony stores usually will have camera placed there for u to try and feel the lens. try visiting the shop at 313 and Nex as they are larger.

IIRC, sony provide lens rental too, u can check with them. (dun think they will have the Tamron for u to try out though)

Currently I'm using primarily the 24-70f2.8 GM. This lens is quite heavy and I need to use it with my smallrig 2122 L-bracket in order to hold it comfortably. I find the build is superb, compared to the Tamron, plus the additional 4mm on the wide-end makes the lens more versatile. That being said, it cost a lot more.
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Master Member

I'm currently using the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and I love it. It's sharp, no AF issues and handles portraits (with lovely bokeh) and street photography really well.

But the 28mm on the Tamron may not be as wide as you'd like if you were to do landscape photography, for that the sony 16-35mm f4 would be good.

Since you mentioned you are an occasional user, may not be good to get a prime. You'd be stuck with one that lens and that focal length. (unless you don't mind using Sony clear image zoom!)

Ultimately it boils down to your use case:
1. Portraits/Street photography - tamron
2. Landscape/Travel - sony
ashketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #4

Sony stores usually will have camera placed there for u to try and feel the lens. try visiting the shop at 313 and Nex as they are larger.

IIRC, sony provide lens rental too, u can check with them. (dun think they will have the Tamron for u to try out though)

Currently I'm using primarily the 24-70f2.8 GM. This lens is quite heavy and I need to use it with my smallrig 2122 L-bracket in order to hold it comfortably. I find the build is superb, compared to the Tamron, plus the additional 4mm on the wide-end makes the lens more versatile. That being said, it cost a lot more.
Wow thanks for the reply, I Facebook chat Sony and asked if they have any roadshows or setup for me to try the lenses , let’s just say their online chat isn’t their best suit.

And yes I’m aware of the lens rental program , might try the 24-70 and 16-35 , although I’m thinking of skipping the 24-70 range and getting the 16-35/70-200 combo for my travels/landscape photography
Old 14-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #5

I'm currently using the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and I love it. It's sharp, no AF issues and handles portraits (with lovely bokeh) and street photography really well.

But the 28mm on the Tamron may not be as wide as you'd like if you were to do landscape photography, for that the sony 16-35mm f4 would be good.

Since you mentioned you are an occasional user, may not be good to get a prime. You'd be stuck with one that lens and that focal length. (unless you don't mind using Sony clear image zoom!)

Ultimately it boils down to your use case:
1. Portraits/Street photography - tamron
2. Landscape/Travel - sony

At first decided to get the tameron as a one lens do all kind of arrangement , plus looking at how good the reviews are. But I was thinking of what I want to shoot in mind and rethink my decision , might rent a lens from Sony and try it out though
Old 14-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Wow thanks for the reply, I Facebook chat Sony and asked if they have any roadshows or setup for me to try the lenses , let’s just say their online chat isn’t their best suit.

And yes I’m aware of the lens rental program , might try the 24-70 and 16-35 , although I’m thinking of skipping the 24-70 range and getting the 16-35/70-200 combo for my travels/landscape photography
These are the 3 lenses in my arsenal:

28mm F2 with ultra wide adaptor. reason why I bought this is to find a cheaper way to go wide. The UWA allows the lens to go down to 21mm. The barrel distortion is quite extreme, but I guess this is expected with lenses this wide. Easily corrected via LR. The UWA cannot accept filters, hence, it's another cons. nevertheless, the setup is small and light. Good for lenscapes. I'll just bring the 28mm prime out when I'm feeling lazy to bring the GM out.

24-70F2.8 GM
At first, I bought the F4 version with my A7III. PwP gave me some discount during the Sony Days sale. then I sold it off after 1 month, Becos I read alot of online review, which made the lens sound bad and everyone was raving over the GM. although I'm not able to see the problems that others had highlighted . I also got quite a good lobang for the GM, so bit the bullet, bought it and sold it off.

This lens is superb, the build is superb. Sharpness is fantastic, chromatic aberration is very controlled. But it's heavy and makes the camera front heavy. I need to use it with a smallrig L bracket to hold it in comfort. This is my go to lens. Using it for lenscapes and Street photography

I did not buy the Tamron becos it was out of stock during that time. Plus I usually shoot at the wide end, so I preferred the extra 4mm the GM gave me. During the early days, there were reports of bugs will the Tamron firmware too. I'm a bit OCD, wanting to go stock as much as possible rather than use 3rd party as much as possible.

70-200F4
I bought this used at a good discount. The 2.8GM is too heavy and expensive. Though I'm a bit disappointed that I cannot use a adaptor with this lens. Have not used it much. Taking at 200F4 give u really good bokeh.

For filters, I usually consider B+W

Last edited by hawthorne; 14-02-2019 at 03:00 PM..
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.