Tips and Tricks of the Trade

systemx

Master Member
Reaction score
DSC_0061.jpg

Auto White Balance

DSC_0060.jpg

Custom White Balance

Ever wondered how to correct the orange cast over the images you shot at dinner functions without flash? Look in your digital camera's white balance menu, and you should be able to find something like "custom set".

When you select that function, a small box will appear (for Panasonic digital cameras). Aim the box at an object you know to be white under normal lighting conditions and depress the shutter button. Do note that the white object should fill up at least 70% of the box. This becomes your white reference point for all images in the same lighting condition.

As with the example above, the image shot with auto white balance was warmer than the one shot on custom. The issue with custom white balances is that you have to change them every time the lighting changes, else the colours will come out really weird. So my advice would be to leave it on auto, and use the custom white balance only when you are shooting indoors with warm lighting and without flash.

Cheers!
geraldtay

I disagree here. This probably comes down to personal preference, but I prefer my indoor shots in it's natural warm colours as opposed to making it look like it was shot under flourescent lighting. After all, isn't the essence of photography supposed to be capture of the moment in as accurate detail as possible?

T3rmite

Reaction score
I disagree here. This probably comes down to personal preference, but I prefer my indoor shots in it's natural warm colours as opposed to making it look like it was shot under flourescent lighting. After all, isn't the essence of photography supposed to be capture of the moment in as accurate detail as possible?

I think original article intention is teach how to get accurate lighting reading, rather than what white balance setting to use.

It's useful for teaching newbies in the basics before experimenting with their preference.

rabien

Master Member
Reaction score
haha, really sorry a imba newbie question here. how do you get pictures that focus on only your main subject and then kind of like blur the background? haven't tried it yet but does spot focusing do the job? or is it only possible to be photoshopped? Couldn't get the right combinations for all that i've tried

thanks =)

huikai86

Reaction score
haha, really sorry a imba newbie question here. how do you get pictures that focus on only your main subject and then kind of like blur the background? haven't tried it yet but does spot focusing do the job? or is it only possible to be photoshopped? Couldn't get the right combinations for all that i've tried

thanks =)

i tk u would haf to reduce ur DOF by lowering the aperture value.. eg. f2.8, den zoom in close on object. alternatively, u can oso switch on e macro mode(symbol with looks like a flower) n focus e square on e object.. correct mi if i'm wrong..

Moniker

Reaction score
i tk u would haf to reduce ur DOF by lowering the aperture value.. eg. f2.8, den zoom in close on object. alternatively, u can oso switch on e macro mode(symbol with looks like a flower) n focus e square on e object.. correct mi if i'm wrong..

I think can't achieve with macro mode? Macro mode only used to take close ups of small objects like flowers, etc.

DOF requires manual focusing and adjustments

goodspeeds

Reaction score
how to convert raw images from our highend camera?
i want to use my photoshop 5.5
to read it and do editing

NetizensUnited

Reaction score
Awesome virtual event- Get Schooled by Design Geniuses from ADOBE

Hey guys, I just found out about this event recently. You might wanna check it out if you're really into the photoshop and design stuff. They've got some pretty cool workshops lined up for this virtual event. Some more can win a CS5.5 Premium if we're lucky :)

The event's called Design 4 Impact and it's organized by ADOBE. Check out (adobe-design4impact.com/en/?sdid=JHPSK) :)

majorsputnik

Reaction score
Pics not found?

Hi I'm a newbie here and i like the tips a lot! But one problem is I can't open any of the pics attached. Is it just me or...?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.