Upgrade body or buy new long range lens?

dennis7w7

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a Canon EOS7D user and it has been sticking with me for more than 5 years (think I am the 3rd owner of the 7D). Am in a dilemma to either upgrade the body to 6D or 5D Mark 2 or purchase a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I dont mind my next purchase is 2nd hand as long as the item is in good working condition. I generally take landscape pictures and occasional portrait shots and at times gets called up for phototaking for events and most of the time I get called up for events I would have to rent a long range.

Any recommendation on which one to upgrade/purchase first?

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just gauge for yourself , if upgrade to a higher range new or used camera than what are the gain over your existing camera?

dennis7w7

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just gauge for yourself , if upgrade to a higher range new or used camera than what are the gain over your existing camera?

I dont mind 2nd hand ones providing that it is in good working condition with no fungus. 5dmk2 will be advantageous over 7d in many areas(?).

Aaagogo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the correct choice will always and forever be L glass over body.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a Canon EOS7D user and it has been sticking with me for more than 5 years (think I am the 3rd owner of the 7D). Am in a dilemma to either upgrade the body to 6D or 5D Mark 2 or purchase a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I dont mind my next purchase is 2nd hand as long as the item is in good working condition. I generally take landscape pictures and occasional portrait shots and at times gets called up for phototaking for events and most of the time I get called up for events I would have to rent a long range.

Any recommendation on which one to upgrade/purchase first?

if you shoot indoor events, a 70-200mm maybe too long.
if you have plans to get a 6D or a 5D in the very near future, I would get the 70-200mm first.
if budget is tight, I would get a 5D and a 85mm first.

:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.