HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dropping Out Poly Course

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #1

Unhappy Dropping Out Poly Course

Hi all i am gonna share with you something that i am experiencing right now and i wish to gather more opinions so i can make a wiser choice.

I was from the Technical stream and i moved on to NITEC course and pursued a HIGHER NITEC course and right now i am studying in NYP Business infomatics.It was not an easy route to begin with and after achieving i feel that i needed a break from studying.

To begin with, i was not a very outgoing person which i though i used be so i already knew that i will face challenge when it comes to communicating with people.In the end, i was right.I can't gel that well with my classmates and it has been affecting my studies and making me skip school on a daily basis.I had moral support from my families but it doesn't seem to help as my mind needed a break after so many years of studying.

The pace between the poly and ITE is super big and i can't cope with the academic demands.Most of the time during lectures i will just drift off into my own thoughts as i can't concentrate due to the thoughts i am having.The amount of stress i am experiencing is affecting my performance in class too.

Right now i already have this fear of going to school and afraid my classmates will judge me for who i am and the deadlines of the projects that i have to submit.Everything is too overwhelming for me.I wanted to take an alternative route of serving the NS first and hopefully i will be a better person by then.Once i am out i will be able to study with a right state of mind.

I am also afraid that i will be disappointing all the people who had put hopes on me and making sacrifices just to support my education.

I also want to re admit into the same course after my ns but just afraid i will be blacklisted and applying poly will be true DAE which the chances will be very slim as compared to other application methods.

I am actually at my limits already.Any advise if i should continue or just take a break and enroll after my ns.

Last edited by XypheR_; 17-05-2016 at 06:10 PM..
XypheR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Tough one, yeah the pace between ite and poly is a big difference.

If really cannot then withdraw and go ns first

Mogan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
Master Member

ts, i would suggest hang in there. u are already in the course, do not waste time dropping out then later apply again and face difficulties after NS. just grit your teeth and get through it, u will need the same determination to get through your NS as well. best of luck to u.
magna_strike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Master Member

Yes, indeed.
Poly's teaching pace is pretty fast compared to ITE which they spoon-feed you all along. On a side note, it is mandatory to take 5-6 modules per semester in Polytechnic.

Honestly, I cannot follow the pace as well as i'm actually a slow-learner as well. However, I went home/any Starbucks cafe to revise and self-study although i don't understand some its concept especially Mathematics. If i can't still unable to figure it out, i went to seek help from my particular module's Lecturer or even my peers.

Even you can't cope the rigorous of your Diploma, you shouldn't give up.
If you didn't not score well (such as <GPA2.0), that's fine. At least you still graduate with a NYP's Diploma in 3 years time.

My lecturer in RP once told us this "If you think you can, means you can. If you think you can't, means you can't."

Aside, the reason why i choose RP over NYP is because RP's exam is open-book. Thus, you need not to memorise much if you create notes to bring it in to the examination's venue.

On a side note, there are many were once from NT stream as well as spending 2-4 years in ITE did well on their Diploma and progress to University afterwhich! If they can do, so can we!

Jiayou!!!! ✨

Last edited by Food_Lover; 18-05-2016 at 08:18 AM..
Food_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
High Supremacy Member

It's not a good idea to drop out of poly. It is true that the pace between ITE and poly is very huge, can't deny that. But yet, there are plenty of ITE students who eventually did well for their poly and successfully graduate from their courses.

If they manage to do it, don't see why you cant. Just think positive and work hard in your 3 years and everything will turn out fine. Alot of ITE peeps tend to be afraid to continue poly due to the pace, obstacles, transition difficulties, etc, but yet majority of them manage to clear it with hardwork and determination.

You already gotten a place in poly, so dont waste it. Because you might never get that place again. One of the forum member in one of the thread mentioned that he quit his poly many many years ago, but until now, he applied and appealed without any success. So think again before you make decision.
a&w_rootbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Hi all i am gonna share with you something that i am experiencing right now and i wish to gather more opinions so i can make a wiser choice.

I was from the Technical stream and i moved on to NITEC course and pursued a HIGHER NITEC course and right now i am studying in NYP Business infomatics.It was not an easy route to begin with and after achieving i feel that i needed a break from studying.

To begin with, i was not a very outgoing person which i though i used be so i already knew that i will face challenge when it comes to communicating with people.In the end, i was right.I can't gel that well with my classmates and it has been affecting my studies and making me skip school on a daily basis.I had moral support from my families but it doesn't seem to help as my mind needed a break after so many years of studying.

The pace between the poly and ITE is super big and i can't cope with the academic demands.Most of the time during lectures i will just drift off into my own thoughts as i can't concentrate due to the thoughts i am having.The amount of stress i am experiencing is affecting my performance in class too.

Right now i already have this fear of going to school and afraid my classmates will judge me for who i am and the deadlines of the projects that i have to submit.Everything is too overwhelming for me.I wanted to take an alternative route of serving the NS first and hopefully i will be a better person by then.Once i am out i will be able to study with a right state of mind.

I am also afraid that i will be disappointing all the people who had put hopes on me and making sacrifices just to support my education.

I also want to re admit into the same course after my ns but just afraid i will be blacklisted and applying poly will be true DAE which the chances will be very slim as compared to other application methods.

I am actually at my limits already.Any advise if i should continue or just take a break and enroll after my ns.
Auntie down here is not so old an auntie but I can tell you this feeling for some of us introverts that we are never good enough, that we will never measure up to expectation will never go away.

Ok so lets say you hypothetically quit/leave/flip the finger at the stupidity that is the education system here (elsewhere same thing cos school is the last place you go to if you want to gain knowledge). Then what?

You say you want to do volunteer work. Die. Still people.
Go to work. Die. Still people. These people scarier then ghost. You die your business not good enough must kick you when you are down.

Go NS. Even more die. Eat, sleep, and **** also dictated by people not necessarily smart or have any idea what the hell they are doing. Then how?

If I were you (I really was you back in the day), I will go to a doctor, explain your situation, how long this anxiety/inability to cope with the ******** that life is, get him to write you a letter so that you can get LOA.

tve: You don't have to deal with the ******** that is the bureaucracy of the education system here that is even more HBP inducing then most other **** cos you're still in the system.

-ve: It could be that our system does not work for you, that your NITEC cert may work better in a country like Germany which, depending on the institution, will recognise prior technical education; so you stay here, drive yourself crazy and waste time only.

Biggest -ve: In Singapore you can die of cancer and people will say poor you cos you know everybody knows what cancer is; but mental illness. No ****! This person is crazy! This stigma will stick with you if your file ends up in the hospital/IMH system. So if you really want to listen to your parents and go the government job route, be prepared that they will be the first one to reject you.

I am guessing you are smart because you can write better than some of the people asking about all sorts of MBA, you must just figure out for yourself that some of us stuck here in Singapore can't do the rat race (it's a race so it will end some day you rot at the same rate as everybody else). Then it becomes being truthful to the people whom you are forced to work with about your capabilities. If they look down on you, that's their problem not yours. Your job is always to figure out your expectations and keep to them if possible. If impossible, then it's still your job to moderate those same expectation according to the changes in your circumstances.

As an on the ball chiongster who does not give a ****, I rather help a team member that tells me they can't deal with the **** than an idiot who refuses to put in the work, pretends like they contribute a whole lot and still wants the credit. I won't say anything but I see right through you and your ********. So that's that about other people's judgment.

If you want the higher order god-like level ********, the expectation of no expectation is the most stressful. If there is an expectation, at least you know where the bottom line and upper ceiling for success and failure are. No such luck if people can't be bothered to expect anything of you.

Auntie telling grandmother story over. Your life. Your call.

Last edited by Pineapple.wong; 18-05-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Pineapple.wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

if u cant cope with poly straight from ITE, what makes you think you will be able to cope after 2 years of NS? After 2 years of NS, you will probably forgot almost everything and it would be even harder to catch up. you wont even remember the basics unlike now where you can at least still recollect some information.

you dont need a break from studying, you just need to stop caring about what other people think of you. well of course care to some extent, but not to the extent of trying to impress them and so on.

poly fees are not that expensive compared to unis so i dont know what you mean by sacrifices others have made just to support your education. if you are really affected by this, then just calculate how much total you need for your few years of poly education, then think to yourself "Ok, I am able to earn this amount back in X years and return back to those who helped me to pay my school and living fees, etc even if I fail and get kicked out of poly, no big deal"
havetheveryfun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #8

Hi XypheR_,

I will recommend to hang on to your poly life. I cannot agree with you when you cannot manage the different pace between poly and ITE. Just image those that come from "O" level, they have even a big gap to cover compare to those that have some foundation from ITE, unless your Poly study does not have a direct relationship to your ITE study

BTW, you might not be the only person that drift into lala land. Don't stress out. Just take it as everyone start from the same step. Of course, you are still have advantage compare to the rest.

Let go of your social anxiety by realizing that no one really gives a damn. Everyone is too busy being concerned with themselves anyway. So why waste your energy worrying so much? Are you really delusional enough to think that everyone around you spends all of their time thinking about you?

Everything is too overwhelming not only for you. But everyone else. Some just don't even bother to show it on the surface.

Don't take the easy way out. Serving NS does not mean that you won't need to face the issues you might encounter in NS. Unless you are not going back to Poly, how would you know that you will not be judge after you done your NS, and you are really sure that you have a right state of mind?

I feel that you need to face your fear for once. You can't run forever!
DavidFhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Personally I don't believe that there's a huge gap between ITE and Poly. Why should you fear of people judging you? You came all the way from a technical stream to NITEC to H.NITEC and people should be damn well respect you for coming this far to poly! It's that tenacity that got you this far, be proud of it!

Who the hell cares what they think?!
hongzx likes this.
Tsunichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #10

I also went from a long way till what i am today.
P5EM2 --> P6EM3 --> Sec 1NT to 4NT --> NITEC --> Polytechnic --> University

It was indeed a tough route. You just gonna hang in there!
You are in singapore!
hongzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #11
Banned

I also went from a long way till what i am today.
P5EM2 --> P6EM3 --> Sec 1NT to 4NT --> NITEC --> Polytechnic --> University

It was indeed a tough route. You just gonna hang in there!
You are in singapore!

If you not the one who like to study can Mei?
frankboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

You should have went RP instead. much easier. But since you are stuck...

DONT QUIT POLY to go NS.
  • After NS YOU WILL BECOME MORE STUPID.
  • After you go out of poly, what makes u think u can get offered a spot again?
  • Even if u cant get a good GPA, can at least graduate and get a diploma
  • Change your study method, obviously whatever you are doing now isnt working

Last edited by yusoffb01; 20-05-2016 at 07:13 AM..
yusoffb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #13

Don't go NS first.

From ite go NS, high chance mono intake, means cfm xiong one.

Just tahan Poly, at most retain 1-2 years. Lastly talk to your lecturers!!!
RollingPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #14

I seriously don't see what's so stressful about poly, especially when you're just trying to graduate instead of maintaining a good GPA.
colonel701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #15

Just go through it, even if you don't score well its okay. Outside world, employers want people with experiences and skills. If you don't score well its okay, just grab the experience, don't overthink so much. Your mental health is very important.
neobear224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.