HELP! ITE TO POLY QUESTIONS >

Aizooom

Reaction score
Hi, as the title says I have some few questions regarding this issue. I have done some research on this as well.

First things first, currently I'm in my second year NITEC in Business Services (graduating, at the time I'm writing this I'm waiting for my final term GPA) with a 3-term cumulative GPA of 4.0. Additionally, I have an additional 0.2 from Platinum-level CCA contribution thanks to the PRAISE system.

The thing about my course is from NITEC, it is only mapped to courses in Republic Polytechnic. While I think what they offer there is unique, along with pedagogies like the Problem Based Learning RP is known for, I honestly think it does not suit me and I would prefer to instead enroll into Singapore Polytechnic's Diploma in Business Administration or Nanyang Polytechnic's Diploma in Business Management.

As mentioned I have talked and done A LOT of research regarding this issue but I would like further opinions-

Is it better for me to go straight to Republic Polytechnic, maybe a Diploma in Consumer Behavior & Research or go to a mapped Higher NITEC course in Year 2 and then subsequently aim for a Business Diploma at other polytechnics?

80% of the seniors that I have talked to have said that they regretted going to Year 2 of Higher Nitec due to the immense stress that they are currently going through and facing. Furthermore, other seniors I have talked to who have progressed to Polytechnics also mention that the competition is very stiff (especially those who went to Ngee Ann's Business).

Which also leads me to my second question, do most students who have an ITE background do relatively bad in Poly? Is it really that tough? Can anyone clarify and share their experience with me?

I should probably also mention that I have aspirations to pursue a degree in NUS or SMU. Is it tougher to get to the top (or have a high GPA) should I go to these other polytechnics instead of RP?

I also graduated N(A) Levels with 11 points. In hindsight, I probably should have applied for the Polytechnic Foundation Programme or went to O Levels, but oh well that's another story to tell.

It would mean the world if you guys could share your experience and help me out here with my decision making for the next chapter in my life. Thank you!

Edit: Received a lot of questions and DMs about my post here back in 2017. To those wondering, I actually applied to RP and got accepted, but I ended up staying in my Higher NITEC course (did 1 year). Just finished my internship and am now waiting for my Poly course to start in April 2019, I got in through Early Admissions Exercise! I'm quite happy and have no regrets with this path that I've chosen to take. To juniors or anyone experiencing the same dilemma that I had back in 2017, my advise for you is to list out carefully what do you expect and/or want to gain from your choice moving forward. Also consider different factors, the course, location etc. There are many things you should definitely consider and after doing so, hopefully, you will have at least be able to identify your top 1-2 options/choices moving forward.

All the best!

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What job do you want to work using a Diploma or a Degree?

'Consumer Behavior & Research' sound to me touch a bit of 'psychology' & 'marketing' but not there yet. Will be better to focus on 'Business' if you do not know what business related jobs you want to work in future.

End day, RP or other polytechnics, you may not score well to enter local universities. RP maybe easiler to score compare to other polytechnics but your RP competitors are there to drag your GPA points down after bell curve.

Cannot comment on Business courses in Polytechnic but for Engineering courses in Polytechnic, ITE graduates will have problem like Engineering Math module cause Theory (Eg: Calculation) start to kick in & replace the Practical part compare to Nitec level. Higher Nitec is like have a step down 'basic feeling' of Theory in Polytechnic.

My personal personal opinion for Nitec is 1 year business course just teach you to be a clerk that almost anyone can do the job compare to 2 years engineering course that at least teach you to do troubleshooting which not anyone can do the job without basic knowledge. So don't let your Nitec (Business) high score affect your judgement that you are able to do well in higher education too.

For University level, you write a lot for exams for Business related degree courses. So I feel NT (or maybe for your case at NA) & ITE graduates are not trained on 'memorize' & 'writing' skills to compete with GCE A graduates who are able to memorize to quote reference (eg: business law) & express their view. So you will face a uphill war for higher education.

Hi, as the title says I have some few questions regarding this issue. I have done some research on this as well.

First things first, currently I'm in my second year NITEC in Business Services (graduating, at the time I'm writing this I'm waiting for my final term GPA) with a 3-term cumulative GPA of 4.0. Additionally, I have an additional 0.2 from Platinum-level CCA contribution thanks to the PRAISE system.

The thing about my course is from NITEC, it is only mapped to courses in Republic Polytechnic. While I think what they offer there is unique, along with pedagogies like the Problem Based Learning RP is known for, I honestly think it does not suit me and I would prefer to instead enroll into Singapore Polytechnic's Diploma in Business Administration or Nanyang Polytechnic's Diploma in Business Management.

As mentioned I have talked and done A LOT of research regarding this issue but I would like further opinions-

Is it better for me to go straight to Republic Polytechnic, maybe a Diploma in Consumer Behavior & Research or go to a mapped Higher NITEC course in Year 2 and then subsequently aim for a Business Diploma at other polytechnics?

80% of the seniors that I have talked to have said that they regretted going to Year 2 of Higher Nitec due to the immense stress that they are currently going through and facing. Furthermore, other seniors I have talked to who have progressed to Polytechnics also mention that the competition is very stiff (especially those who went to Ngee Ann's Business).

Which also leads me to my second question, do most students who have an ITE background do relatively bad in Poly? Is it really that tough? Can anyone clarify and share their experience with me?

I should probably also mention that I have aspirations to pursue a degree in NUS or SMU. Is it tougher to get to the top (or have a high GPA) should I go to these other polytechnics instead of RP?

I also graduated N(A) Levels with 9 points. In hindsight, I probably should have applied for the Polytechnic Foundation Programme or went to O Levels, but oh well that's another story to tell.

It would mean the world if you guys could share your experience and help me out here with my decision making for the next chapter in my life. Thank you!

Kvicez

Reaction score
Yep, RP's Consumer Behavior and Research is business + psychology. Depends on what aspect of business you're interested in; marketing, finance, human resources, communication, etc.?

Based on what I've heard from my colleagues (I work in a poly), ITE students generally do very well in polytechnics, better than the O-Level students. Mainly because these ITE students not only have learnt the foundation stuff in ITE, but being able to score good grades to enter poly shows that they are consistent and more disciplined in their learning.

If Higher NITEC is tough, poly is going to be even more tough. So doesn't matter if you go Higher NITEC or poly; its either struggle in poly badly, or struggle in Higher NITEC then struggle a bit less in poly since you've already paid your dues in Higher NITEC.

Why are you so keen on NYP/SP though? What sets them apart? Is this something very important for you? If so, then go Higher NITEC, then apply through EAE(I) or JPAE.

Aizooom

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like this sounds naive but I see myself working in a corporate setting with a desk job from 9-5 and climbing the ladder. This (maybe strangely?) has always been ideal and satisfying for me.

But specialization wise, I am leaning towards Marketing (mainly) and also a little bit of Entrepreneurship here and there. I had originally thought that I would be interested in HR or HR with Psychology but after I did some readings and research on that topic I realized it may not be my cup of tea.

What do you mean by "RP may be easier to score compared to other polytechnics but your RP competitors are there to drag your GPA points down after the bell curve."? Are you talking about the bell curve or is this some other factors in RP that I may have overlooked? Because I heard they have this peer-to-peer evaluation as well and that supposedly affects your GPA to some degree.

Also yes, I hope and I didn't mean to sound boastful or condescending if I came off that way, but I just thought that it would be best if I stated my position with my GPA and results currently so people would have a rough idea.

And, how should one prepare for the 'uphill battle' in higher education?

Also, thank you for the reply! Were you an ITE graduate that went to poly and subsequently to Uni?

What job do you want to work using a Diploma or a Degree?

'Consumer Behavior & Research' sound to me touch a bit of 'psychology' & 'marketing' but not there yet. Will be better to focus on 'Business' if you do not know what business related jobs you want to work in future.

End day, RP or other polytechnics, you may not score well to enter local universities. RP maybe easiler to score compare to other polytechnics but your RP competitors are there to drag your GPA points down after bell curve.

Cannot comment on Business courses in Polytechnic but for Engineering courses in Polytechnic, ITE graduates will have problem like Engineering Math module cause Theory (Eg: Calculation) start to kick in & replace the Practical part compare to Nitec level. Higher Nitec is like have a step down 'basic feeling' of Theory in Polytechnic.

My personal personal opinion for Nitec is 1 year business course just teach you to be a clerk that almost anyone can do the job compare to 2 years engineering course that at least teach you to do troubleshooting which not anyone can do the job without basic knowledge. So don't let your Nitec (Business) high score affect your judgement that you are able to do well in higher education too.

For University level, you write a lot for exams for Business related degree courses. So I feel NT (or maybe for your case at NA) & ITE graduates are not trained on 'memorize' & 'writing' skills to compete with GCE A graduates who are able to memorize to quote reference (eg: business law) & express their view. So you will face a uphill war for higher education.

Last edited:

Aizooom

Reaction score
Honestly, this was what I thought when I heard my seniors say that. So yes, I really agree with what you brought up here.

As mentioned above, I'm leaning towards Marketing, Entrepreneurship and if I were to add on also Accounting.

The Diploma courses for NYP/SP that I brought up are just examples. I would also be fine with those business courses from NP or TP. I think in a way I like these other polytechnics because they offer dual range specializations (you can choose 2 specializations at NYP, TP) and as for SP and NP they both have Marketing & Entrepreneurship- which I find really attractive.

To sum it all up I've identified courses that I'd think I'd be happy in:
SP - Business Admin
NP - Business Studies
TP - Business Cluster
NYP - Business Management
RP - Consumer Behaviour & Research (last resort!)

I also went and read up the modules that they offer at each of these business courses and frankly speaking yes they may be similar but I think the one that stands out to most to me would be SP's Business Administration. NYP is relatively close to my house, which is why I think instinctively I cited NYP/SP as examples.

But as mentioned before I also intend to go to University, but so many lecturers I talked to here recommend me going to RP for an "easier" time along with the TONS of opportunities they offer at RP, which is kinda conflicting you know because like there are so many factors affecting my decisions, like I want to learn something that I would enjoy and at the same time do really well for it and increase my chances of going to University, whereas if I go to let's say NP or maybe SP it's certainly is tougher. I don't know where I just went with this whole thing but I hope you get me, HAHAHA. #dilemma

I guess you really can't have everything you want in life and sacrifices, unfortunately have to be made

I did apply for EAE(I) a few months ago, they rejected me, HAHA! (sadface)

I really like what you said about 'paying your dues' though. Thank you for the reply!

Yep, RP's Consumer Behavior and Research is business + psychology. Depends on what aspect of business you're interested in; marketing, finance, human resources, communication, etc.?

Based on what I've heard from my colleagues (I work in a poly), ITE students generally do very well in polytechnics, better than the O-Level students. Mainly because these ITE students not only have learnt the foundation stuff in ITE, but being able to score good grades to enter poly shows that they are consistent and more disciplined in their learning.

If Higher NITEC is tough, poly is going to be even more tough. So doesn't matter if you go Higher NITEC or poly; its either struggle in poly badly, or struggle in Higher NITEC then struggle a bit less in poly since you've already paid your dues in Higher NITEC.

Why are you so keen on NYP/SP though? What sets them apart? Is this something very important for you? If so, then go Higher NITEC, then apply through EAE(I) or JPAE.

Last edited:

WalkWithWind

Reaction score
If problem based learning is not ideal for you, you should go for higher NITEC and apply to other polytechnic.

As a business student at one of the local university, I seldom see poly grads from RP. Majority of the poly grads are from other polytechnic. Therefore, I would recommend you to go for higher NITEC.

Your story is rather similar to mine. I was also from NA stream except that I choose to take O level and go to a polytechnic.

Aizooom

Reaction score
I'm kinda leaning to going to Year 2 atm... which poly did you go to and what Business course did you took in there?

Also, roughly how many have students have you seen from RP going to NTU?
Thanks for the reply!

If problem based learning is not ideal for you, you should go for higher NITEC and apply to other polytechnic.

As a business student at one of the local university, I seldom see poly grads from RP. Majority of the poly grads are from other polytechnic. Therefore, I would recommend you to go for higher NITEC.

Your story is rather similar to mine. I was also from NA stream except that I choose to take O level and go to a polytechnic.

varietyss

Banned
Reaction score
I'm kinda leaning to going to Year 2 atm... which poly did you go to and what Business course did you took in there?

Also, roughly how many have students have you seen from RP going to NTU?
Thanks for the reply!

Hi,I have the similar experience with you. I was from Nitec and went on to Higher Nitec Year 2. From there, I did well and went to enter Year 2 Poly (Highly would not recommend), best to start off with Year 1. If you are planning to go from Nitec to Poly, is like totally a new thing for you as the module being taught in Nitec is not related at all. Otherwise, go to Higher Nitec Year 2, as you have an advantage of knowing what to expect when you enter poly as some module being taught are about the same but with deeper learning.

Last edited:

Aizooom

Reaction score
Do you happen to be in a Business Course?

Hi,I have the similar experience with you. I was from Nitec and went on to Higher Nitec Year 2. From there, I did well and went to enter Year 2 Poly (Highly would not recommend), best to start off with Year 1. If you are planning to go from Nitec to Poly, is like totally a new thing for you as the module being taught in Nitec is not related at all. Otherwise, go to Higher Nitec Year 2, as you have an advantage of knowing what to expect when you enter poly as some module being taught are about the same but with deeper learning.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i was from higher nitec, many of my classmates were from nitec. it was through them that i became hardworking and keen to study. many of them went on to continue the poly route

u go direct to poly from nitec and u go higher nitec then to 2nd year poly the years is the same, u dont lose out. but higher nitec route u gained an additional certificate.

if me i will go direct to poly straight from nitec. at least i begin straight from year 1. if u join from year 2 might be abit stressful.

end of the day education is just a tool, u go society work alot depends on luck and hardwork, many times education doesn't really play a huge role.

i got a friend who study hard and went thru nitec > higher nitec > poly.

den end of the day decided to find a job thats near home and salary doesnt matter.

Aizooom

Reaction score
You have a point there

i was from higher nitec, many of my classmates were from nitec. it was through them that i became hardworking and keen to study. many of them went on to continue the poly route

u go direct to poly from nitec and u go higher nitec then to 2nd year poly the years is the same, u dont lose out. but higher nitec route u gained an additional certificate.

if me i will go direct to poly straight from nitec. at least i begin straight from year 1. if u join from year 2 might be abit stressful.

end of the day education is just a tool, u go society work alot depends on luck and hardwork, many times education doesn't really play a huge role.

i got a friend who study hard and went thru nitec > higher nitec > poly.

den end of the day decided to find a job thats near home and salary doesnt matter.

themalcolmchew

Reaction score
I'm confused as to why you didn't apply for Direct poly program (DPP) to enroll in a business Higher NITEC course. I'm currently in DBA in SP, i grad from from ITE with HNITEC Accounting and I can tell you the gap between ITE and Poly is massive.

I also graduated N(A) Levels with 9 points. In hindsight, I probably should have applied for the Polytechnic Foundation Programme or went to O Levels, but oh well that's another story to tell.

Aizooom

Reaction score
I'm confused as to why you didn't apply for Direct poly program (DPP) to enroll in a business Higher NITEC course. I'm currently in DBA in SP, i grad from from ITE with HNITEC Accounting and I can tell you the gap between ITE and Poly is massive.

It's a really long story haha...

Aizooom

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll summarise, HAHA.
Looking back it was a dumb decision but at that point in time when I just grad from N's I wanted to do O's. My secondary school principal and teachers were against the idea and recommended I did DPP. I was confused at that time (17 years old?) and had no idea what I wanted to do so I applied for a course I didn't like in DPP.

Needless to say, 6 months in I dropped out. Got my shiz together and really thought through and I reapplied for NITEC (you couldn't apply for DPP the following year) and thankfully now I graduated with a GPA with 4.0 in Biz.

TLDR: I drop out from DPP bc of wrong course.

heymee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll summarise, HAHA.
Looking back it was a dumb decision but at that point in time when I just grad from N's I wanted to do O's. My secondary school principal and teachers were against the idea and recommended I did DPP. I was confused at that time (17 years old?) and had no idea what I wanted to do so I applied for a course I didn't like in DPP.

Needless to say, 6 months in I dropped out. Got my shiz together and really thought through and I reapplied for NITEC (you couldn't apply for DPP the following year) and thankfully now I graduated with a GPA with 4.0 in Biz.

TLDR: I drop out from DPP bc of wrong course.

Wow Congratulation for scoring GPA 4.0!...but may I share with you past NITEC Business Service Grad Students applying for Republic Poly ...the gate is very small ....Scoring GPA 4.0 in NITEC Business Services does not guarantee that RP will accept you...RP intake for each course is rather small unlike the other Polytechnics. First Intake goes to O Level students , then the balance are open for ITE students...I went to RP open house last year, I question the Lecturers , what is the rate of each year intake set aside for ITE students, knowing they take in O level students first...

The lecturers could not give me a good answer....i hope my sharing gives you an understanding "Gate entrance " to RP for NITEC students doing Business Service is very slim....

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Heha123

Reaction score

Hi may I ask how tough is higher Nitec to poly year2? Is it doable if you study hard?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will share my experience too using engineering as an example.

Engineering mathematics in Polytechnic is a big problem for a lot of ITE graduates cause they only learn basic calculation.

For Higher Nitec, you do not needs to work hard and still able to pass.

For Polytechnic Diploma, it is very clear cut if you know or don't know.

Hi may I ask how tough is higher Nitec to poly year2? Is it doable if you study hard?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.