HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Local poly or Private diploma? Am 21 now gonna ORD soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #1

Local poly or Private diploma? Am 21 now gonna ORD soon

Need some advice. Iím 21 this year and am gonna ORD in August. I applied for local poly in 2017 with my higher nitec cert (GPA 3.0) and manage to get the course i wanted but i eventually decided to serve my National service first. Now my NS is coming to an end and iím facing a dilemma choosing between local poly or pte dip.

If i choose local poly (full time diploma): ill start school next year april. Ill be 22 years old and will graduate at 25 and if i continue to degree will probably get a degree at 28/29??

Whereas if i choose private dip at PSB or Kaplan (part time): I can get a Private dip within 8-12months followed by private degree in another 16-20months. Iíll be able to get a degree by the time im 25/26?? On top of that i would have work experience as ill be working full time study part time.

I understand private diploma/degree isnít as good as local dip/degree but is it really that far off?? Like even now in 2019?? My main issue is I really wanna join the workforce asap and the private way seems more convenient as i can do it part time and still get my degree but I donít know whether its worth it taking full time dip at local poly for 3 years and only join the workforce at 25?

Can anybody advice me on this? Greatly appreciated.
Matthias377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

There are a number of former poly students who have the same dilemma as u when they plan to further their studies. End up most of them chose to take their diploma at poly after their ITE and NS (for guys) and they have turn out well in their careers after their graduation. No need to worry so much about age because there are poly peeps who started their poly at age 23/24 due to their nitec to higher nitec and NS, and some even successfully made it to uni by doing well in their 3-years poly.

It's actually good to have a minimum poly diploma, as it is much more recognized in terms of job entry requirement for most companies especially those in the government sectors. And also u will have the opportunity to have industry attachment or internship during your poly which will help to boost your resume abit. Don't miss out this chance because not many people are offered a place in poly. Your GPA in ITE is already quite good so don't waste this. If u can somehow appeal, u can even start your poly straight into the second year which will then allow u to graduate earlier. Just do your best in poly and everything will turn out fine.
virus1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

There are a number of former poly students who have the same dilemma as u when they plan to further their studies. End up most of them chose to take their diploma at poly after their ITE and NS (for guys) and they have turn out well in their careers after their graduation. No need to worry so much about age because there are poly peeps who started their poly at age 23/24 due to their nitec to higher nitec and NS, and some even successfully made it to uni by doing well in their 3-years poly.

It's actually good to have a minimum poly diploma, as it is much more recognized in terms of job entry requirement for most companies especially those in the government sectors. And also u will have the opportunity to have industry attachment or internship during your poly which will help to boost your resume abit. Don't miss out this chance because not many people are offered a place in poly. Your GPA in ITE is already quite good so don't waste this. If u can somehow appeal, u can even start your poly straight into the second year which will then allow u to graduate earlier. Just do your best in poly and everything will turn out fine.
Hey thanks so much for the advice man!
Old 07-06-2019, 12:25 AM   #4

Tl;dr get a local diploma.

I believe having a local diploma is much better cause I know a lot of people are working after they graduate from diploma.

And career wise, having a local diploma is much better.
If you want enter workface fast, you could probably enter after getting a diploma then work full time and part time degree.

On top of that, since local poly/diploma will have internship, you would be considered having working experience. If you like your internship place, you can ask if they allow you to work full time there after you finish schooling.
Lovekpopdrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #5

Have you heard about ELP? Earn and learn programme? Go research on it. U can start work and study diploma part time.
soulesscreature88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #6

Local diploma. I got from external UK University useless like toilet paper. Because employer hire local diploma got $15K grant from Govt - I hear one.
Hazette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #7

Have you heard about ELP? Earn and learn programme? Go research on it. U can start work and study diploma part time.
I heard about ELP but i heard ELP upon graduation they give you a CET diploma which is apparently not as good as local diploma ??
Old 08-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #8

Tl;dr get a local diploma.

I believe having a local diploma is much better cause I know a lot of people are working after they graduate from diploma.

And career wise, having a local diploma is much better.
If you want enter workface fast, you could probably enter after getting a diploma then work full time and part time degree.

On top of that, since local poly/diploma will have internship, you would be considered having working experience. If you like your internship place, you can ask if they allow you to work full time there after you finish schooling.
Thanks ill consider this. Full time dip>Work and part time degree
Old 10-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #9

Local Poly is definitely better. You can go Private unless you cant enter local Poly.
BtegaSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

I heard about ELP but i heard ELP upon graduation they give you a CET diploma which is apparently not as good as local diploma ??

From what I understand ELP only covers 3MC after 18months, u need to continue to study for extra 2MC after that 18months to get a diploma

Is the part time dip from ELP the same as Full time dip when applying for a job?
limjialok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
High Supremacy Member

local poly better
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #12

Of course, local poly diploma is better than Part time of cet diploma and private diploma. Cuz local diploma is recognized anywhere in sg and other countries. Moreover, local poly diploma have 6 months of internship in the industry.

Whereas, part time of cet diploma is not so recognized but depending on the employer in the industry. Part time of cet diploma don't have internship. Unless if u want to join the ELP programme along with cet diploma. In addition, it may have some working experience as along the way.

For private diploma, it would not be recognized of sg local uni and local industries too. Private diploma doesn't have any internship and goes through the 1st year of private uni for twin uni programmes after completing private diploma/advanced private diploma.

1st choice of choosing which local poly diploma in any of the 5 polytechnics in sg. Way to go for it!

Last edited by TanoshiXero; 13-06-2019 at 12:07 PM..
TanoshiXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #13

Same age as me. But i studying in diploma from Nitec an Higher Nitec , then go NS next year.
Idme231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #14

From what I understand ELP only covers 3MC after 18months, u need to continue to study for extra 2MC after that 18months to get a diploma

Is the part time dip from ELP the same as Full time dip when applying for a job?
Of course, local poly diploma is better than Part time of cet diploma and private diploma. Cuz local diploma is recognized anywhere in sg and other countries. Moreover, local poly diploma have 6 months of internship in the industry.

Whereas, part time of cet diploma is not so recognized but depending on the employer in the industry. Part time of cet diploma don't have internship. Unless if u want to join the ELP programme along with cet diploma. In addition, it may have some working experience as along the way.

For private diploma, it would not be recognized of sg local uni and local industries too. Private diploma doesn't have any internship and goes through the 1st year of private uni for twin uni programmes after completing private diploma/advanced private diploma.

1st choice of choosing which local poly diploma in any of the 5 polytechnics in sg. Way to go for it!
Thanks for the advice guys. Ill stick to local poly>part time degree for now.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.