Local or private uni

De rash luk

Reaction score
Hi i havr just completed my o levels and i cannot enter local poly. I feel scared to retake also as i only have 5 subjects and if i mess up one it is another year wasted. I can go ite then poly but by the time I finish degree i would be 31 years old. On the other hand if i do private poly in psb or kaplan i would eventually do an Australian degree but i will start working @28 years old. I will start earning 3 years faster. But is it really important to get a local uni cert? Pls help!!!

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It maybe an 'Australian' degree but it is not on campus and just a distance learning degree.

So employers especially from government/public sector may not recognized your degree. So if you are lucky, they may consider it with the same level as polytechnic diploma or even ITE qualification. If not, your highest qualification will only be GCE O.

Are you ready to take the risk?

Hi i havr just completed my o levels and i cannot enter local poly. I feel scared to retake also as i only have 5 subjects and if i mess up one it is another year wasted. I can go ite then poly but by the time I finish degree i would be 31 years old. On the other hand if i do private poly in psb or kaplan i would eventually do an Australian degree but i will start working @28 years old. I will start earning 3 years faster. But is it really important to get a local uni cert? Pls help!!!

De rash luk

Reaction score
It maybe an 'Australian' degree but it is not on campus and just a distance learning degree.

So employers especially from government/public sector may not recognized your degree. So if you are lucky, they may consider it with the same level as polytechnic diploma or even ITE qualification. If not, your highest qualification will only be GCE O.

Are you ready to take the risk?

But i habe a few relatives who did private degrees amd are on good position now. They claim is hatder to get job but once they get job they say that experience matters more when u switch companies. What is your view on this?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It really have to depend on the employer cause no matter how experience you are, you will never get a job if they only recognized local degree.

However they say also true but mostly in private sector. And you may not be in the 'main' team and there is a limitation for your career.

Let take Engineering graduate in construction sector for example. Under BCA, they do not needs graduate to be a PE but their degree must be recognized by PEB Sg (which mean the only degree you can take in Sg are only NUS & NTU). Take why a lot of construction companies like Builder only employed local graduates or foreigners. Even employed you as Private Degree holder to do the work, the name of the work will always park under other cause you do not meet the requirement.

But i habe a few relatives who did private degrees amd are on good position now. They claim is hatder to get job but once they get job they say that experience matters more when u switch companies. What is your view on this?

tim1988

Reaction score

Unless for an academic career , Uni degree doesn’t matter much. Networking with industry peers is important to land a job. Once got the job , if you are good on it , can rise no matter from which Uni you are from specially private sector.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.