HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

My academic progression

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

My academic progression

Hi all,
Thanks for your time reading my post.
I am turning 34 this year and working as a senior executive underwriting/biz development in the general insurance industry with 11 years experience.
I dropped out from secondary 3 but managed to go into this industry with referral and completing the required papers (BCP,PGI & ComGI).

Few years back, I have also obtained the cert in sales & marketing from MIS training centre.

I have plan to enrol for business diploma under the CET program.
Therefore, I went for the WPLN assessment and my result appended;
Reading 7, Listening 8, Speaking & Writing 6, Numeracy 6

May I have your advise do you think I can satisfied the requirements set by the poly or I should be going for wsq business diploma instead.

To add on, the reason why I wanna further studies is because I hope have better career progression as I think the max I can progress is assistant manager which I am now planning how can I progress further.

Apologise for the long post and hopes to hear from you.
Thanks.

Last edited by Civician; 15-03-2019 at 12:53 PM..
Civician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #2

I think no problems. I did a semester of CET business dip.. my classmates are mostly ITE grads. CET program don't really look at your academic background as long as you are an adult learner with work experience.
But you might want to do accountancy dip instead.
grapewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Hi,

I am just curious why didn't you progress with SCI dip/adv dip programmes? Once you have gotten SCI dip/adv dip, I think you may use it for entry to e.g. private degrees. Of course, how recognised is SCI dip/adv. dip for further studies would depend on the private educational providers. Alternatively you can ask SCI which uni will accept their qualifications.

The question about CET diploma is the entry requirements. Based on the info, it looks like you are qualified as it states that WPLN>=6 may be accepted as O equivalents.

You may have missed out the April entry so I guess you just watch our for October entry application. It will be out probably in next 2 or 3 months.
Old 16-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

I think no problems. I did a semester of CET business dip.. my classmates are mostly ITE grads. CET program don't really look at your academic background as long as you are an adult learner with work experience.
But you might want to do accountancy dip instead.
Curious,why accountancy and may I ask offered by which poly?
I am actually looking at Business Administration offered by TP.

https://www.tp.edu.sg/courses/part-time-courses/industry/professional-services/business-practice-business-administration
Old 16-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #5

Hi,

I am just curious why didn't you progress with SCI dip/adv dip programmes? Once you have gotten SCI dip/adv dip, I think you may use it for entry to e.g. private degrees. Of course, how recognised is SCI dip/adv. dip for further studies would depend on the private educational providers. Alternatively you can ask SCI which uni will accept their qualifications.

The question about CET diploma is the entry requirements. Based on the info, it looks like you are qualified as it states that WPLN>=6 may be accepted as O equivalents.

You may have missed out the April entry so I guess you just watch our for October entry application. It will be out probably in next 2 or 3 months.
I did consider taking insurance dip from SCI but to be frank if I have a choice, i will not continue in the insurance industry because i think it is pretty boring 🤣 but because I didn't want to put my experience to waste and I am doing pretty good currently therefore a general dip would aid me on my current career progression and maybe I can venture into another industry in future.

I will decide on which dip to enroll once I have set out all the options.
Old 17-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

It looks like you are qualified for CET Diploma as it stated that WPLN>=6 may be accepted as O equivalents.

At least a CET Diploma is still recognized as Polytechnic Diploma. Private Diploma still can be used to study a Distance Learning Degree within the same or other PEI. WSQ Diploma is the worst since most of them are not recognized for a Degree programme by PEI.

Hi all,
Thanks for your time reading my post.
I am turning 34 this year and working as a senior executive underwriting/biz development in the general insurance industry with 11 years experience.
I dropped out from secondary 3 but managed to go into this industry with referral and completing the required papers (BCP,PGI & ComGI).

Few years back, I have also obtained the cert in sales & marketing from MIS training centre.

I have plan to enrol for business diploma under the CET program.
Therefore, I went for the WPLN assessment and my result appended;
Reading 7, Listening 8, Speaking & Writing 6, Numeracy 6

May I have your advise do you think I can satisfied the requirements set by the poly or I should be going for wsq business diploma instead.

To add on, the reason why I wanna further studies is because I hope have better career progression as I think the max I can progress is assistant manager which I am now planning how can I progress further.

Apologise for the long post and hopes to hear from you.
Thanks.
Old 19-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #7

Thank you 😊

It looks like you are qualified for CET Diploma as it stated that WPLN>=6 may be accepted as O equivalents.

At least a CET Diploma is still recognized as Polytechnic Diploma. Private Diploma still can be used to study a Distance Learning Degree within the same or other PEI. WSQ Diploma is the worst since most of them are not recognized for a Degree programme by PEI.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.