HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Please help. What should I do now?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2018, 03:43 AM   #1

Please help. What should I do now?

Hi. I'm probably gonna fail N Levels (I'm from NA) Hear me out. I want to get to Polytechnic at the very least, but I probably ****ed up because I only woke up and decided to be serious at Sem 2 of Sec 4 which was too late.

I have three choices now.

1. Retain Sec 4NA and retake N Levels
- My senior retained Sec 4NA, and he did quite well. This is my first option. But then most of my juniors all YP YP, cfm kena bully.

2. Pray to every god I know in hopes passing.

3. Nitec
- I don't really want to go ITE. But if it comes down to it, I don't really have a choice.

The route if I have to go if I go into ITE is this.
Nitec > Higher Nitec > NS > Poly.

Come out damn old liao no one want hire me no need marry already.

Or is it possible to get into only NITEC and still get into a Poly? Even RP is fine.

Really need advice, just very confused right now.

ALSO!!!
I need a question answered.
Is it possible to get from NITEC to Poly thru JPAE?
IF I get into a Poly thru NITEC, it will be for three years, right?

Last edited by ahboyyy234; 23-11-2018 at 07:37 AM..
ahboyyy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Master Member

Hi. I'm probably gonna fail N Levels (I'm from NA) Hear me out. I want to get to Polytechnic at the very least, but I probably ****ed up because I only woke up and decided to be serious at Sem 2 of Sec 4 which was too late.

- My senior retained Sec 4NA, and he did quite well. This is my first option. But then most of my juniors all YP YP, cfm kena bully.

3. Nitec
- I don't really want to go ITE. But if it comes down to it, I don't really have a choice.

Or is it possible to get into only NITEC and still get into a Poly? Even RP is fine.

ALSO!!!
some courses do take people from nitec (usually the more cui couse). the usual cut off is 3.5 for nitec

yes nitec students join poly first year. in my course, nitec student should go to the pfp, they are no match for the o level students at all. the last few places are always dominated by nitec students.

if you fail n level, there is no difference in time if you repeat n level or go to nitec.
nitec is a 2 year programme
1 year for 4N and 1 year for 5N or pfp also equals 2 years.

for myself, i will choose the nitec route. people in ite very bochap. put in a bit of effort and you are in the front of the cohort. for someone that is motivated, it is very possible to get into poly thru nitec.

if you go 4N and 5O. you will realize the O is very xiong. some more must compete with many good students. becoz of this many people want to siam O
dork32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

3. Nitec

You senior can do it does not mean you can do it, so tell us truthfully if you retained in Sec 4 NA, will you really work hard or still remain lazy?

If can, go for it so that you don't regret it.

If no, better study ITE & move on your life.

It is our government fault cause they set this complicated education path to prevent Singaporean from getting higher education and force them to work in workforce to fill out blue collar positions like Technician (instead of letting them get a Degree smoothly like other Countries to become an Engineer).

ALSO!!!

With a NA GCE N, you can apply for Higher Nitec unless your result is poor that you cannot enter the course of your choice or no course at all. Then you will look at Nitec.

With good result (estimated GPA 3.5 & above) from Nitec, you can go directly to Higher Nitec 2nd year or Poly 1st Year.

With good result (estimated GPA 3.5 & above) from Higher Nitec, you can go directly to Poly 2nd Year.

If you pass your Higher Nitec, you can go to Poly 1st Year (provided other applicants have poorer result compare to you).
Old 23-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Master Member

It is our government fault cause they set this complicated education path to prevent Singaporean from getting higher education and force them to work in workforce to fill out blue collar positions like Technician (instead of letting them get a Degree smoothly like other Countries to become an Engineer).
it is not their complicated system that prevents people from getting to the uni. if you have just come of ntu or nus engineering, you will realize that there are not so many uni jobs around. many of them spend 1 year hunting for a permanent job. you want to blame garmen, blame them for this. they could not create enuf engineers job

if all ite people become engineers, who is going to do the technicians job.

and finally, many nitec people struggled when they come into poly. i seriously doubt the many will survive the uni. or better still, they could make the uni and poly a lot easier such that every ite people can go to uni. like dat you will have many half baked engineers walking around without jobs.
Old 23-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Master Member

With good result (estimated GPA 3.5 & above) from Higher Nitec, you can go directly to Poly 2nd Year.
at my place, higher nitec gpa 4 join year 1
Old 23-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Master Member

If you pass your Higher Nitec, you can go to Poly 1st Year (provided other applicants have poorer result compare to you).
this point you are right. we reserve a number of places for ite people. if all the high scorers decided to go and work, we will reduce the cut off gpa.
Old 23-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

When we talk about Primary to Secondary School education, it is about equip one with general academic knowledge. However Singapore shortchange Singaporean if one is in the lowest stream. Base on WISE programme (equivalent to NA education), NT GCE N is equal to Sec 2 NA standard.

It is not ITE graduate who try to be 'half baked' at job and wish to 'struggled' at higher education. Take a good look at bookshop between Express and NT (Sec 1 to Sec 4) syllabus. If School omit training in syllabus, school don't provide student sufficient knowledge to equip them for higher education. That is the reason why most of the NT graduates are not able to catch up with private GCE O syllabus because they do not have the necessary foundation. From my own judgement when I was in ITE Year 1 taking GCE O courses, I needs 4 years to prepare myself for GCE O on top from my NT GCE N competency which time is not on my side. What we are asking is to have the same opportunely to learn the same thing and almost all countries are doing that except Singapore.

In the past, the cost of living is not high and you can always earn more money like OT, take extra workload or secondary appointment. Now the cost of living is high and most positions don't get addition pay for OT, extra workload and secondary appointment. Then come the foreigners with higher qualification (Eg: Diploma and Degree) who are willing to take low wages and work in a risky long hours jobs (safety risk or illegal jobs). It no longer attractive to hire Singaporeans for Technician post and that are the reasons why everyone (Not only Singaporean but also Foreigner like Malaysian) is trying to get a higher education (eg: Polytechnic Diploma, Degree, etc) to meet the requirement for a higher position with higher wages.

it is not their complicated system that prevents people from getting to the uni. if you have just come of ntu or nus engineering, you will realize that there are not so many uni jobs around. many of them spend 1 year hunting for a permanent job. you want to blame garmen, blame them for this. they could not create enuf engineers job

if all ite people become engineers, who is going to do the technicians job.

and finally, many nitec people struggled when they come into poly. i seriously doubt the many will survive the uni. or better still, they could make the uni and poly a lot easier such that every ite people can go to uni. like dat you will have many half baked engineers walking around without jobs.
Old 23-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is the major for Polytechnic the same as Higher Nitec?

at my place, higher nitec gpa 4 join year 1
Old 23-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Master Member

Is the major for Polytechnic the same as Higher Nitec?
yes. this guy is doing quite well now. He had n levels as well as higher nitec. if he continues, he will make it to ntu.

mine diploma is quite a strong one. normal nitec come in will die.
Old 23-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
Master Member

It is not ITE graduate who try to be 'half baked' at job and wish to 'struggled' at higher education. Take a good look at bookshop between Express and NT (Sec 1 to Sec 4) syllabus. If School omit training in syllabus, school don't provide student sufficient knowledge to equip them for higher education. That is the reason why most of the NT graduates are not able to catch up with private GCE O syllabus because they do not have the necessary foundation. From my own judgement when I was in ITE Year 1 taking GCE O courses, I needs 4 years to prepare myself for GCE O on top from my NT GCE N competency which time is not on my side. What we are asking is to have the same opportunely to learn the same thing and almost all countries are doing that except Singapore.
your concept is very wrong. it is not the school's fault. the syllabus of NT is cut down such that it is not too taxing on the students. it is not because the school wants to prevent them from going to poly or uni.

if you are in NA and you can prove yourself, they will upgrade you to express. I feel that our system is fair. you cannot prove yourself in PSLE, your are sent to NT such that the work load is lighter. if you mature during sec 1 or 2, you may be pushed up to NA and even express. otherwise you will have to take a longer route. Everyone takes the same route till P4. it is only P5 that you are streamed into standard and foundation. even if you are in foundation, you can still take the NA, ITE and poly route to the university.
Old 23-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
Master Member

i can tell you. i am not a supporter of our garmen. i vote for opposition in elections.

but i give credit to the garmen when it is due.
Old 24-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #12

Why do youngsters these days regret for what they are done when they actually think about it in the first place..
Idme231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 12:47 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

i just quote some examples that happen in my real life. EM3 (Now known as Foundation) study science and have exams at school level however was not given an opportunity at national level for PSLE. This affect their result and only top EM3 scorer may end up in NA in Sec Sch while majorly will end up in NT. At NT, MOE omit things but add additional trash education for us to learn without any benefits. Even school were demotivated to the extend that they allow NT classes without a Science Teacher for 1 years plus (Sec 3 & 4) and just let the students take NT GCE N since the school ranking was always base on GCE O for Express and NA. So it was already an unfair start and I do not see any less 'taxing' since we still needs to study and go for exams.

The path for NT is to pass NT GCE N & enter ITE for Nitec. Regardless how high you score for Sec 4 NT Exam or NT GCE N, MOE do not allow NT Student to cross over to Sec 5 NA.

Yes, to be transferred to a NA from NT, students have to obtain an average 70% on all the subjects. For secondary 2 NT students who hope to go Sec 3 NA, they have to obtain more than 75% on English and Maths besides obtaining an average of 70% of all the subjects. Furthermore, the students need to retain one year in Sec 2 NA before going to Sec 3 NA.

Source: https://hi5tutors.wordpress.com/2013...-secondary-na/

So the question will be how many NA or even Express student obtain more than 70% to 75% for NT or even their own steam papers? I don't think there are a lot of them who are able to score that high result. So setting that high standard is actually unfair and MOE wants to prevent them from going to higher education. Even motivation like duration of studies can present one from further study as per example below (NT GCE N path vs global standard of education).

NT GCE N path

16 year old : 4 years NT GCE N course

18 year old : 2 years Nitec course

20 year old : 2 years Higher Nitec course

23 year old : 2 years NSF + 1 year estimated waiting time to enlist or school open.

26 year old : 3 years Polytechnic Diploma

30 year old : 4 years Degree

Global standard of education

16 year old : Year 10

18 year old : Year 12

22 year old : 4 years Degree

Back in 27 February 2007, we get the news from hacker that our government does not plan to encourage more students to get a higher education which is only around 23 percent of Singaporean students entering primary school complete a degree at a local four-year university and one of the way is by setting the university enrollment rat to be maintained at 20-25 percent because the Singaporean labor market does not need everyone to get a four-year degree. Please refer below.

Education System Not Helping
----------------------------

9. (C) Singapore boasts a highly competitive and
well-regarded primary and secondary education system, but the
number of Singaporeans completing a tertiary education is
relatively low. Only 23 percent of Singaporean students
entering primary school complete a degree at a local
four-year university. In other knowledge-economies such as
Japan's, around 50 percent of students complete a university
degree. However, according to Cheryl Chan, Assistant
Director of the Planning Division at the Ministry of
Education (MOE), the government does not plan to encourage
more students to get a higher education
. The university
enrollment rate will continue to be maintained at 20-25
percent because the Singaporean labor market does not need
everyone to get a four-year degree, she asserted.

Source: https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/0...PORE394_a.html

your concept is very wrong. it is not the school's fault. the syllabus of NT is cut down such that it is not too taxing on the students. it is not because the school wants to prevent them from going to poly or uni.

if you are in NA and you can prove yourself, they will upgrade you to express. I feel that our system is fair. you cannot prove yourself in PSLE, your are sent to NT such that the work load is lighter. if you mature during sec 1 or 2, you may be pushed up to NA and even express. otherwise you will have to take a longer route. Everyone takes the same route till P4. it is only P5 that you are streamed into standard and foundation. even if you are in foundation, you can still take the NA, ITE and poly route to the university.
Old 25-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Master Member

Why do youngsters these days regret for what they are done when they actually think about it in the first place..
you mentioned the word: youngster. they are still immature. it takes time for them to grow up. we have to give time
Old 25-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
Master Member

i just quote some examples that happen in my real life. EM3 (Now known as Foundation) study science and have exams at school level however was not given an opportunity at national level for PSLE. This affect their result and only top EM3 scorer may end up in NA in Sec Sch while majorly will end up in NT. At NT, MOE omit things but add additional trash education for us to learn without any benefits. Even school were demotivated to the extend that they allow NT classes without a Science Teacher for 1 years plus (Sec 3 & 4) and just let the students take NT GCE N since the school ranking was always base on GCE O for Express and NA. So it was already an unfair start and I do not see any less 'taxing' since we still needs to study and go for exams.
whose fault is it that you are in em3. you had the opportunity to go into em2 or em1 in your p4 exams. you could not make it. you probably fail left right centre. if you are failing badly, is it not wrong for the garmen to reduce the workload such that you have passing chance? if there is no em3, nt and ite, you may be out of school after p6.

it is common sense that only the best em3 students can be allowed in NA. academically worst students are in em3. if you cannot beat the weak students, what do you think your chances are against the better ones in em2

nt/ite tract focuses on skills. it teaches stuff that are useful in life. in jcs and unis, you learn to solve differential equations and fouriers transform. these crab has seriously no use in real life.

our educational system is very forgiving already. the fact that an em3 student has the opportunity to make it to uni is the best proof.

it is a fact. in my diploma, 70% of the nitec students are languishing in the bottom 20% of the cohort. these are the best students in nitec, and yet they are being whacked upside down the the o level, pfp students. we do take in mediocre students from ite thru dae (sports), all of them either drop out or graduated in the bottom 10%. all of them have to repeat subjects.

it is a fact
only the top students of p4 take higher mother tongue
only the top p6 students are admitted to ip programmes
only the top n level students are offered pfp in poly
only the top o level students go to top jcs
only the top jc students go to medicine, law nus.

so what is wrong if the only the top em3 students make it to NA
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.