HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Seriously. anyone entered uni from a local poly? can post results?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #571

My friend's daughter from TP with GPA 3.80 can't even enter local uni lol... that's why I always tell my kids if you want to go uni then poly is not the choice for u. too competitive
I think it depends which local uni the kid is going, and what course the kid plans to take. I noticed that many people only consider NUS, NTU and SMU.

One nephew got 3.1, in SIT year 2 now.
One nephew got 3.85 just got accepted by NTU.
Both are taking uni courses related to what they study in poly.

another nephew got 2.8, got into Lasallae, doing arts management.
koguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #572

My friend's daughter from TP with GPA 3.80 can't even enter local uni lol... that's why I always tell my kids if you want to go uni then poly is not the choice for u. too competitive
What course is she from and what did she apply for?
liffibubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #573

Heard it's top 5% a few years ago. Now the quota should have increased right..
BeiBei90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #574

Wow I literally just finished reading from the very first post all the way back in 2002.

Anyways I have some questions myself, anyone from any generalised Business courses in any polytechnics (eg: SP's Business Admin, TP's Business or maybe RP's Consumer Behaviour & Research) that got into any Business courses in NUS NTU or SMU? Care to share experiences, GPA etc?

Also is the stigma surrounding RP students not getting prioritized as I read in this thread previously somewhere (for Uni applications- they have a lower chance to get in) true?
Aizooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #575
Master Member

That Jaime Teo from Mediacorp was an example. Dunno her result though....
Are you sure about this? Is there any link from the website?
virus1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #576
Master Member

Wow I literally just finished reading from the very first post all the way back in 2002.

Also is the stigma surrounding RP students not getting prioritized as I read in this thread previously somewhere (for Uni applications- they have a lower chance to get in) true?
You read from year 2002. The post regarding the stigma and not getting prioritized, that post was made in which year? It could be true if the post was dated back in mid or late 2000s.
virus1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #577

Enjoy your time in NP. Remember to go for exchange trips. It's gonna make your poly life memorable. Always aim for 4.0.
I think it depends which local uni the kid is going, and what course the kid plans to take. I noticed that many people only consider NUS, NTU and SMU.

One nephew got 3.1, in SIT year 2 now.
One nephew got 3.85 just got accepted by NTU.
Both are taking uni courses related to what they study in poly.

another nephew got 2.8, got into Lasallae, doing arts management.
Wouldn't JC be even more competitive where all the top students at o level then fight to be at the top of the bell curve at A's?
My GPA is currently 3.15 and my O's is 18 pts. Now final sem at NYP Diploma in Info Tech. Any chances in any of the local U's ? I thinking of NTU's communication studies though...but many ppl say it's not as good as i think it is...
there are couple of systems to get into the Uni, for poly students

1. Very good results, u enter Uni on the next intake after u grad from Poly. Straight As student.

2. You didnt do very well, you can opt to work for 3 years then u apply for the course in Uni.

The best is to give the admission office a call.
I think if you were to take the poly route, it requires a lot of self discipline and mixing around with the right people. Iím in Business Adminstration course, got a gpa of 3.9 for yr1sem1 but got distracted and dropped to now a 3.2-3.3 cgpa. But I think achievement do matters a lot, if you have already anticipated that you would not be able to attain a high gpa. My advise is to take part in competitions and win some awards, this would be able to boost your portfolio during uni admission. I just submitted my application for SUSS and SIT and they both replied within one week after I have submitted my application.

Last edited by Ottoke; 13-05-2018 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Similar posts merged
sitschoolmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #578

Well felt this chat quite helpful to inspire more poly students in life to pursue further education and will just introduce some information. Am a graduate from Singapore Polytechnic in AY2014 for 60th graduation ceremony from DEEE and it was quite a wild ride albeit not having much life other than focus on my modules each semester.
Did manage to secure a place for electrical engineering in NUS from AY 2016/2017 after NS and was in for rude awakening terms of pacing of lessons. Unlike Polytechnic where lessons were conducted every week, Uni lessons are just arranged in such a way that they are not guided as great and has lots of potential stumbling blocks as the learning curve is much steeper. Personally felt there was hardly any room for breathers as I had to resort in daily revisions to understand steps. But itís true though from poly to Uni is tough, in the end itís just up to own efforts to strive for choices decide to make chasing for Uni slot. Felt bad when some just dropped out after 3 weeks of Uni at the start where I feel some others who could have been given a chance to strive in Uni is devoid of this from such people. So yeah hopefully once secure Uni slot, itís only the start of a huge challenge to pull through the whole module journey.
Pokraisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:50 AM   #579

I graduated from SP in 2012 with a gpa of 3.26. Got rejected the first time I applied to both NUS and NTU when I was still in poly year 3. Entered NTU in 2014 after working for a year and will be completing my degree soon. I was fortunate enough to be granted an interview by the school I applied for and got accepted.

I think the first year was the toughest because my major was very different from my diploma course but thankfully I have a lot of helpful friends lol. Really have to no life mug throughout the semesters to get a decent grade and to catch up to the A level students because of my lack of background. I think uni requires a lot more self-discipline and independent learning as compared to poly but you'll realise how to study smarter along the way (I had to change my studying methods). Anyway just try apply only, application pay $10.70 worth a shot also.
Pescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #580

Just Graduated from Ngee Ann Poly i may not have COM or any awards i received offer from NUS and NTU.😁😁
Slacker0457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 04:29 AM   #581

wah.. realised this thread was started in 2002 sia.. respect all the trailblazers who managed to advance to local uni from poly.. once upon a time it was a distant dream for diploma holders to go local uni.. i was lucky to be in the 2007 batch when 3.5 gpa is enough for merit and nus.. now 3.5 no value liao cannot go anywhere omg machiam back to square one.. nowadays so many ppl scoring 3.8, grade inflation i guess
Frostmourne1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #582

I just graduated from NYP this year! Received offers from NUS and NTU! Seems like local unis are taking in more poly students as the years go by
Debbie_zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 12:08 AM   #583

Studied SP graduated with 3.86 got into SMU Econs with a totally unrelated diploma
marigoldround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #584

Entered into NUS Mech Eng with 3.7 from NYP. Studied Precision Eng. Phew, thought I was never getting in after looking at the score of the bottom 10th percentile.
EccentricIridium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #585

Friend of mine got into NUS from SP, GPA 3.8 I think.
hardwarezonenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.