Thinking of dropping out of poly

Jamjam1999

Reaction score
Want to drop out of poly

I'm currently a year two who finished the first semester's mid year exam. It's School holiday right now and in a few days time school reopens. However, right after I was done with the mid year exams, I was already thinking of dropping out. I feel that it's too stressful, I can't cope with my studies and the school's system. I am also not interested in this course and majority of the people in my course have a goal in this industry ... I am now in this course because it was the only chance for me to get into a poly.(I got in through DAE) My Os results weren't quite good considering the fact that I failed my maths.. For my Ns I did quite alright and was offered a higher nitec course but I decided to go onto sec 5. It turns out to be a wrong move I guess..

However, I do feel that I need to stop studying. I don't know why but I am constantly worrying about things(anything) and scared. I am also unable to communicate well with people. Which is why I'm unable to cope with having presentations everyday. Previously, when I first got into my course, I persuaded myself to work hard and overcome this fear. However,now that I'm in year 2 I still can't overcome this fear of having attention on me when speaking. Or when I'm just infront of the class. Besides that, I was also doing not that good in my grades, my gpa is 2.0 :(

I initially think that I could still survive after quitting school and searching for some part time jobs to do first. However,here comes the question... I can't do part time jobs forever can I..?

I need suggestions and advices, thank you.

Last edited:

heymee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a year two who finished the first semester's mid year exam. It's School holiday right now and in a few days time school reopens. However, right after I was done with the mid year exams, I was already thinking of dropping out. I feel that it's too stressful, I can't cope with my studies and the school's system. I am also not interested in this course and majority of the people in my course have a goal in this industry ... I am now in this course because it was the only chance for me to get into a poly.(I got in through DAE) My Os results weren't quite good considering the fact that I failed my maths.. For my Ns I did quite alright and was offered a higher nitec course but I decided to go onto sec 5. It turns out to be a wrong move I guess..

However, I do feel that I need to stop studying. I don't know why but I am constantly worrying about things(anything) and scared. I am also unable to communicate well with people. Which is why I'm unable to cope with having presentations everyday. Previously, when I first got into my course, I persuaded myself to work hard and overcome this fear. However,now that I'm in year 2 I still can't overcome this fear of having attention on me when speaking. Or when I'm just infront of the class. Besides that, I was also doing not that good in my grades, my gpa is 2.0 :(

I initially think that I could still survive after quitting school and searching for some part time jobs to do first. However,here comes the question... I can't do part time jobs forever can I..?

Sorry to hear what you are going through , I guess it is part of your growing up....

Do you have siblings /seniors that you can talk to?
Do you have a mentor in Poly ?

Try to finish you course, nowadays to work you need at least a Diploma...
3rd year is Intership....so try to endure...

Just remember Not Everything in Life is Perfect...
Ordinary Folks like us On and Off , also Drag ourselves to go to work every morning...

I am sure you can ....:s12:

buttercracker

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can try a part time job while studying if you want. Like waiter, waitress or cashier, see u like or not first...

grapewall

Reaction score
I'm going to be harsh here.

You said "I am now in this course because it was the only chance for me to get into a poly." It's the only chance for you, and you want to let it go just because you cant handle a bit of stress? Do you have a better option? If yes, go ahead. But I'm sure you don't have, so you should stick it out and finish the course!

Studying is never easy, especially if you're not the smart type. you mentioned you did poorly in presentation... People at your level without work experiences ALL struggle with that! If the course is really so easy that you can stroll thru in a breeze, then chances are you're not going to break through yourself and learn anything useful. Those fly by night private courses out there where you literally pay to get a diploma, the certificates are not recognised, useless and you learned nothing useful. What's more, it will cost you a bomb and much of your time to attend the classes for attendance sake. Eventually when you realised you cant do anything with the cert, you'll kick yourself asking why you spend like $10k, 8 months and loads of efforts studying for exams for something useless.

I wont say you chose the wrong path doing your Os instead of NITEC. An O level cert grants you a ticket to higher academic levels. For NITEC, you're probably trapped in the industry which you studied.

You're at a stage where you cant see what lies ahead. You should finish the poly course no matter how bad you do. The poly diploma will open doors for you when you eventually start your work life. It doesn't matter if you don't work in this industry. A poly diploma convinced employers that you are "poly standard" and you can be groomed for other roles.

Forget about those part time jobs. What can you get from there except a meagre wage? You can make a life out of it? You see yourself doing part time for the rest of your life? People do part time because they have no choice and need the money. Poly students do part time work to support their spending and reduce their reliance on family handouts. You? You want to make a career out of it?

Nothing is easy when you study. Ask yourself, have you reach your limits? Obviously no. if you cannot break through your mental barrier and push yourself further, you will not excel beyond this level. Graduating from poly is not impossible. Every year, tens of thousands graduated from poly. If they can, why you cant? Because you're not willing to push yourself further. And these poly graduates will eventually become your bosses, superiors or supervisor. Because, they had what you don't possess: perseverance.

Last edited:

Idme231

Reaction score

Course type and which school?

Am a ex nitec and higher nitec student and an Engineering student upgrader.

Trust me, studying is tough. I work 2 jobs because i have no choice and need to support myself. Come home midnight only sleep a few hours.

And what he said is right, though its harsh, but i am agreeing with him, if u quit now, this would finish everything of what u can do. If you have a family in future, life will be tough because everything is changing.

Dont give up, i am also driving my mentality to the max, because i told myself this certification is important, so you probably can use that as a way of doing so. Nobody will expect it to be easy, but imagine that graduation day u tell ur self, 'i did it!', you will feel the easiness and know that you had completed another challenge of ur life.

I pretty sure that NS shld have taught u stuff about choices in life and u gave urself 2 years to think about what u wan to do in your next phase of life. Choices has consequences, so its up to you.

Go read other threads and they give you answers.

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
ts nv come back liao... u all still post :D

grapewall

Reaction score
You choose to take the sufferings now so that you can have an easier life in future.

Or you can have the easier life NOW and have a suffering future.

choose wisely.

Bubble Tea

Reaction score
Want to drop out of poly

Bubble Tea

Reaction score
Want to drop out of poly

I am experiencing the same situation as you! I am currently thinking of dropping out of my diploma. I am currently studying Diploma of Materials Science and I will be a Year 3 student very soon. I am also not interested in my course. I chose this diploma because I got B4 for Combined Science. I had Selective Mutism from primary to secondary school, and I managed to overcome it 2 years ago, thanks to RP's help, and I am grateful for that. RP requires us to do presentations every day. Through this training, I managed to overcome the fear of speaking, though sometimes I still feel nervous. The only grade I can get is D. I know I have passed but I want to achieve higher grades. (Am I too greedy?) My GPA is always between 1-1.5, which I know it's very bad. I want to try working part-time in a restaurant. Am I making the right choice? Please give me advice.

wantonmeekia

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same situation as you! I am currently thinking of dropping out of my diploma. I am currently studying Diploma of Materials Science and I will be a Year 3 student very soon. I am also not interested in my course. I chose this diploma because I got B4 for Combined Science. I had Selective Mutism from primary to secondary school, and I managed to overcome it 2 years ago, thanks to RP's help, and I am grateful for that. RP requires us to do presentations every day. Through this training, I managed to overcome the fear of speaking, though sometimes I still feel nervous. The only grade I can get is D. I know I have passed but I want to achieve higher grades. (Am I too greedy?) My GPA is always between 1-1.5, which I know it's very bad. I want to try working part-time in a restaurant. Am I making the right choice? Please give me advice.
Strongly don't encourage you to drop out at this stage since you will be graduating real soon. (approximately one more year to go) I also don't advise you to work part-time as it may potentially affect your grades. Get that diploma first. You can potentially explore other options later i.e Work-Study Diploma, Work-Study Degree, Diploma (Conversion). Use that diploma as a stepping stone to meet those prerequisites.

It is perfectly fine if you are not interested in your course. I've seen people graduating with an engineering diploma and taking a conversion course to pursue a career in early childhood. Just my two cents worth - you are at the halfway mark of the race, finish it. Use that diploma to your advantage since you have already invested time and money for the past 2 years. If you throw in the towel, all you are left with is your O/N level certificate.

Ignatius J

Reaction score
I forced myself to graduate to not disappoint my parents, I was good at what I was majoring in but I felt I wasn't as driven but to ask me again did I regret it? In fact no I was proud and I suppose you should figure yourself out on it before making a move. Maybe defer a semester ? cause i did that and I realise I have to finish what I signed up for and it was a promise to myself as well.

Bubble Tea

Reaction score
Actually I want to graduate too- to make my parents proud. But it is so difficult to. And I failed 2 modules, so I have to repeat them...

Ignatius J

Reaction score
Actually I want to graduate too- to make my parents proud. But it is so difficult to. And I failed 2 modules, so I have to repeat them...
I legit failed like 8 out of 10 of my modules for one semester and it woke the heck out of me

Bubble Tea

Reaction score
I failed 2 out of 5 modules last year. Am repeating the modules with the year 2 cohort. Feel so embarrassed...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.