HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[GPGT] Ben Leong wants Straits Times taken to task under POFMA, Calvin Cheng says no!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #46
Arch-Supremacy Member

What you posted does not rebut my 2 previous postings.

What you posted has nothing contrary to my explanation of the law under POFMA.

As clearly explained in my 2 previous posts, the government can and is obliged to take action under POFMA only if these conditions are met :

(1) it is a false statement of fact
and
(2) it is "in the public interest" to take action.
and
(3) "in the public interest" is as defined in the law under POFMA.

p.s. As seen in this thread and many other threads in EDMW, many EDMW kum gong kias do not understand the POFMA and/or do not bother to read up the POFMA. So they erroneously think that the government can and is obliged to take action under POFMA simply because it is a false statement of fact (and something of public interest is involved).
It is not contrary, but goes to show how the PAP politicians actively advocate fake news.

1)
Since PAP politicians want to criminalise fake news, then why does POFMA not apply equally to everyone under the law?

POFMA clause 61 gives PAP Ministers the authority to exempt any person or class of persons from the provision under the Act.

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Bills-Supp/10...Ids=P19-#pr61-

So only cronies of PAP Ministers get to legally post fake news.

2)

PAP Minister Yacob Ibrahim said in a 2013 BBC interview that sinkies have to "read the right thing".

Based on PAP logic, how can ST publish unverified information? Which is the very definition of fake news.

Where is the accountability? Shouldnt the editor of ST be forced to step down or harakiri?

ST is the PAP government mouthpiece, directly controlled under the Newspaper and Printing Press Act.

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/NPPA1974?...s=P1III-#pr12-

Section 12 clearly states that control of shareholdings and voting power in newspaper companies, require obtaining approval from Minister first.

3)
Based on PAP logic, if the editors of ST dont have to be accountable for publishing fake news, then why does PAP politicians expect private individuals to be accountable for their actions when posting fake news?

In some cases (e.g. Leong Sze Hian) they are even sued by PAP Ministers for defamation.
clon33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #47
Arch-Supremacy Member

eeh dun rebut this kgk with facts leh.......he wun reply cos he scared selfpwned but he will probably be triggered......
He replied me woh!

Repeating the same old bs, ignoring the elephant in the room. That PAP government mouthpiece ST is fake news.
clon33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #48
High Supremacy Member

aiseh.... when ben leong going to get fixed soon?
Hope he gets fixed soon.

I tot he pro pap one...
原来是closet opposition...

now 原形毕露
focus1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #49
Master Member

Depends on the person la. You say another person step down see is pubic interest or not.
oneboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #50
High Supremacy Member

In any case...

I feel it's more like infighting inside the corporation more like it..
someone inside must have leaked the news when they saw new senior mgmt come in but like duplicate functions of the current senior mgmt.

无风不起浪
focus1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #51

Told u all all garmen linked organisation cannot be trusted. All dog units
HappyCanOrNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.