HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[NEWS] E-SCOOTER Haters rejoice! Salvation is at hand!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

[NEWS] E-SCOOTER Haters rejoice! Salvation is at hand!

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ilers-10707880

According to retailers, the majority of PMD users in Singapore will have to discard their current devices and purchase UL2272-certified ones by 2021.

SINGAPORE: When restaurant waiter Xavier Lor splashed out S$1,000 on an Inokim electric scooter last week, he thought he would be able to use it for the next five to seven years.

The 39-year-old was pleased to have found an efficient mode of transport that would allow him to avoid having to squeeze in crowded buses and trains to travel to and from his work.

But his plans to use the two-wheeler for that length of time were dashed on Monday (Sep 10), when the government announced that all motorised personal mobility devices (PMDs) must conform with UL2272 fire safety standards by 2021.

"So I've spent all this money on this scooter, only to be told I have to get rid of it in two years or risk breaking the law," said Mr Loh, who uses the device to travel to and from his workplace in Clarke Quay.

Like the majority of e-scooters in the Singapore market, Mr Loh's Inokim is not compliant with UL2272 - a technical standard developed by an independent US certification company - which the Singapore government said minimises the risk of motorised PMDs catching fire.

There have been 80 fire incidents involving motorised PMDs since 2016. Data released by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) earlier this year also showed that e-scooters were involved in 40 fires last year, an increase of nearly 350 per cent from nine such cases in 2016.

But Mr Lor maintains that customers like him should not be punished for purchasing e-scooters that are not compliant with UL2272, having not been informed of this new law beforehand.

"When I bought it last week, I decided to invest a bit more money because I thought it was something that I can use for the next five to seven years. But now they're telling me I have to get rid of it soon," said Mr Lor.

"I can't even sell it off in Singapore, since it won’t be legal," he said, adding that he will make a report with the Consumer Association of Singapore (CASE).

Can Sleep like a piggy!!!

Ban them all!
eclipsemints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Master Member

Eh...i think this law will harm the lower income one leh, these ppl are the ones who will buy PMDs one. govt got any package to subsidize them? Really not fair to ppl like Mr low, waiter only still must get bullied by PAP.
gysiang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
Master Member

how come 39 yrs old stil waiter?
heroking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Guess why people buy e scooter in the first place.. sleeping like a baby tonight
tree trunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Eh...i think this law will harm the lower income one leh, these ppl are the ones who will buy PMDs one. govt got any package to subsidize them? Really not fair to ppl like Mr low, waiter only still must get bullied by PAP.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Gahment must give all families a pmd, just like the tv box. Huat ah!

Sent from 我被超级白人击败了。 using GAGT
danny8x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Great Supremacy Member

should make all escooters go thru yearly LTA inspection like cars, lorries and motorcycles.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

Live so near to Clarke Quay...high SES? Cannot afford car?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #8

how come 39 yrs old stil waiter?
Working at Clark quay, must be executive waiter

Sent from พ่อแม่ง using GAGT
vi3ir4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Live so near to Clarke Quay...high SES? Cannot afford car?
Maybe rental flats at North bridge Rd...or those at chin swee area.
Live near Clark quay high ses???
Batavia King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

Sometimes i see a family of 3 squeezed onto 1 E-bike, blasting their speaking where ever they go.

Really pity them, no money even to take bus. Now with the new regulation, they only can rely on human powered kick scooter.
MoraMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #11
Master Member

should make all escooters go thru yearly LTA inspection like cars, lorries and motorcycles.
Plus should add class A license
Spirax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ban them all man. Low income can always cycle. No excuse for being lazy. They want to blame then blame on all the black sheeps haha.

Serves them right.
eclipsemints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Helmet leh? Cyclist also need helmet by 2019, HOW? My MoBike still got 300+ days...

SO UNFAIR!!! My $1 wasted....
Ideasmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

Sibei song men, I re-read the article 10 times, gonna re-read another 10 before I sleep tonight.
Ifritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #15
High Supremacy Member

Song boh Xavier Lor Mee, u voted for this....oh btw, ur I will report to CASE make me LOL.....
lycheehello is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.