HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[SG News]Malay entrepreneur change name to non-Malay name; wonder why sales shoot up

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

[SG News]Malay entrepreneur change name to non-Malay name; wonder why sales shoot up

https://mothership.sg/2019/03/malay-name-business-art/

In an ideal world, race wouldn’t matter when it comes to doing business, whether in Singapore or elsewhere.

Local entrepreneur Imran Md Ali shared an anecdote on Facebook about how he once put that ideal to the test.

Using a non-Malay name

Imran wrote on March 13:

“When I started out in my arts business, I was delivering and closing my own art piece sales with offices and homes.

During my emails with a sales prospect, I did a Long term split test.

One would reply with Imran Ali

One would reply with my pen name, Benjamin.

Over a Long period of time, I’ve ascertained that using the non Malay name yielded more sales.

Probably quadruple or so.”

Mixed race

Imran himself is of a mixed-race background. His father is Malay and his mother is Chinese but was raised by a Malay family.

He grew up mixing with friends of all races.

But he wanted to know why using a non-Malay named yielded a “profits advantage” of 400 per cent.

Customers were surprised

He signed off as either Imran Ali or Benjamin and watched what happened over the long run.

This led to a moment of revelation for some of his customers:

“In fact, when I closed a painting sale under “benjamin”, and delivered the painting myself, it usually gets a reaction “eh you Malay ah?”

To which I would say yep- “is that alright?”

After which they will apologise profusely.”

He claimed that after seeing that a Malay guy could do the job “equally well”, these customers would continue buying from him and recommended his services to their friends.

What about others?

But after some time, he no longer needed to use the “Benjamin” method and began using his given name once more.

Imran wrote:

“God knows how much harder I have to work as a Malay in Singapore to do ok in this training seminar business and other businesses. There’s a LOT of judgement about race. I had to work harder than the typical local Chinese.

I’ve done ok in life. But sometimes I wonder – how are the other Malays faring in life with these prejudgements, and obstacles?”

Addresses Chinese and Malays

Imran also said he hoped that the Chinese would not judge others based on race, and that the Malays would work hard and prove themselves worthy — not to others but to themselves.

Other users agreed

Imran’s words struck a chord with a number of people:

Including the occasional skeptic:

Which should be familiar to anyone who has ever been a minority.

You can see the post in full below:

I rarely touch on race and advantage in Singapore. Today’s one of those rare days.

My mom is Chinese, and given to a Malay family in the kampong days.

My dad is Malay.

When I started out in my arts business, I was delivering and closing my own art piece sales with offices and homes.

During my emails with a sales prospect, I did a Long term split test.

One would reply with Imran Ali

One would reply with my pen name, Benjamin.

Over a Long period of time, I’ve ascertained that using the non Malay name yielded more sales.

Probably quadruple or so.

So I began to ask myself- why this is so? After all, I look upon other races as equal. I ACTIVELY hang out with chinese, Malay, Indian, etc.

I’m not one of those guys who have friends of other races only in school but then when become working adults, only hang out with their own race (that’s 90% if people)

BUT! Using a non Malay name interestingly gave me a profits advantage of 400%.

In fact, when I closed a painting sale under “benjamin”, and delivered the painting myself, it usually gets a reaction “eh you Malay ah?”

To which I would say yep- “is that alright?”

After which they will apologise profusely.

So AFTER getting their beautiful paintings and seeing that a Malay can do the job equally well, they would begin referring other clients and continue buying for Xmas, CNY etc.

After some time, I no longer had to use the word Benjamin, but proudly use my Malay name, from my dads side.

God knows how much harder I have to work as a Malay in Singapore to do ok in this training seminar business and other businesses. There’s a LOT of judgement about race. I had to work harder than the typical local Chinese.

I’ve done ok in life. But sometimes I wonder- how are the other Malays faring in life with these prejudgements, and obstacles?

To my Chinese brothers and sisters, keep hustling, and try to adjust our judgements of people based on race.

To my Malay brothers and Sisters, work HARD and prove yourself to be worthy. Not to others, but to yourself.

#WeAreEquals
virus1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Playing victim card again...

He nvr do experiment by ordering malay food in chinese and malay...see got price difference or nt

Last edited by STFU78; 14-03-2019 at 11:43 PM..
STFU78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

He actually can choose Malay or Chinese, he is mixed.
goldbergpresto and CloneLover like this.
gysiang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

i think it's just branding

if u are tan ah teck joseph, which one do u think is easier to brand
defnull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:44 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

That doesnt make sense.
He is an idiot lol.
Or is he purposely trying to act superior to his own race? Because he has done better?

Of course people would be surprised at a malay named benjamin lol
occifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #6

Type so long, want to say we racist just say la. We can take the hit
Old 14-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

Coz rop has a poorer overall genes. Chinese are of a different species. Their brain are more advanced and practically excel in everything.
soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #8
High Supremacy Member

full of shet

his face also easily pass off as chinese, or some obvious atas mixed blood mongrel
Old 14-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

It's like when I buy nasi Padang....
samloi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Try using the name Ah Tan loh. Use Ang mo name for what. See which one got better sales then I believe.

Ang mo names confirm better branding. If I use Chinese name and Chinese staff to sell Muslim food, and Malay name and Muslim staff to sell the same food opposite. Can I complain the Muslims are racist if the latter got more sales?
Insatiable_creat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

I happen to know not 1 not 2 but 3 different "Daniel"-s who are actually "Danial"-s, all in oil gas / shipping - 1 of them is a bunker trader in 1 of the biggest players.

I would think that Malay parents who are smart would give their kids somewhat ambiguous-sounding names.
CCCustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

y u all butt hurt?... his right wat... look at edmw, so many anti rop racist...
Old 15-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

y u all butt hurt?... his right wat... look at edmw, so many anti rop racist...
Yah yah.. all Chinese are racists and all Muslims are victims.. and you wonder why there are more and more..
Insatiable_creat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #14
High Supremacy Member

Not Haram meh
Old 15-03-2019, 12:06 AM   #15

Shud not do this. Non halam
Edmtankl is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.