HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Any frequent backpackers here? Any bag/brand to recommend that can take heavy load?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #91

Alibaba bag no horse run
m1kid85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #92
Supremacy Member

It’s the frame that’s important. I rarely use the hip strap.
Yes. The bag frame is important. The hip strap not exactly.

The hip-belt is perhaps one of the most important part for a good backpack system. It bears 80%-90% of the weight of your pack (Sources: Outdoor Gear Lab, and REI), placing most of the weight on your stronger leg muscles, rather than on your arms.

Read more here.
Xeniel likes this.
dreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #93

Saw this in kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...&term=backpack
Ekspakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #94

Those local army gift shop that sells similar military backpack like DG soldier talk, is it comparable to Vanquest etc?
DG brand is local brand. Uses the bare minimum in terms of materials and specifications as their main markets are those NSF boys. In terms of quality, it's a long way off the mark but in terms of durability, it is reasonably alright at that price range.

Tops brands use very high quality hardware such as the buckles for instance. When you use a bag from TAD, Vanquest or the like, you will likely never go back to a bag with a normal buckle. That's when you realize it's worth it to buy an expensive bagpack which can last for many years to come. This is why GR-1 is still so popular although the price is at higher end.

Actually there is no such thing as a perfect backpack as everyone's needs can be so different. I am into backpacking and travelling light, so naturally my backpack needs to be a tough carry-on.

Zoomed in to a few brands/models - Osprey Farpoint 40 (always popular with backpackers but material not durable enough), Vanquest Ibex-35 (just launched in USA, spoke with the company staff too) and Maxpedition Tiburon 34L, Falcon III and the Gyrfalcon (reputed to be the toughest backpack ever produced by Maxpedition). 😬
jimboyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #95

One thing I like about tactical bags is they can be expanded or modified according to user's needs. You can put one pouch at the side as First Aid Kit or for extra storage, or add one bottle holder if you are going on a long hike.

Nowadays tactical bag suppliers are also keen on capturing the backpackers' market, so there are now less tactical-looking bags but the main functions and all-weather performance are still there.
jimboyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #96

Just invest in one by a reputable international brand like REI or North Face. Those are pretty much indestructible (speaking from experience).
redsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #97
Great Supremacy Member

The hip-belt is perhaps one of the most important part for a good backpack system. It bears 80%-90% of the weight of your pack (Sources: Outdoor Gear Lab, and REI), placing most of the weight on your stronger leg muscles, rather than on your arms.

Read more here.
I think you're misunderstanding your own links. let me get some excerpts:

Different from its carrying capacity, selecting the correct size is the single most important detail when it comes to choosing a pack. Correctly sizing a pack is vitally important to your comfort and the pack's function. If it is too large or too small, the weight will not be evenly distributed and will put pressure on different parts of your body, making hiking and moving difficult and painful.
Once you have your pack loaded up and on your back, you will notice that you have to lean slightly forward. This is a normal and natural response by our bodies to manage the increased load. As you ascend steeper terrain, you will notice that your body will adjust by leaning even slightly more forward than when hiking on flatter terrain. In this body position, the majority of the weight should fall on your hips; roughly 65-80% of the weight.
yes, the weight is carried by your hips, but how the weight is distributed is via the frame and not the hipbelt.

Hipbelt Stabilizer: This strap can be tightened around the hip belt, improving balance and comfort.

The last important parts of a pack are the load bearing parts. These days external frame packs are no longer popular, and all modern packs have internal frames, which carry closer to the body. Internal frames provide support in a couple different ways:
i do use my hipbelt in certain situations but the frame is more important. from the REI link:

Fit Adjustment on the Trail

After mile 10, your near-perfect fit can seem like a distant memory. Good fit, though, requires continuous attention on the trail.
Master how things adjust by playing with all of your straps extensively when you first get your pack.
Ensure you can always return to your preferred fit by memorizing what that looks like at home.
Tweak adjustment straps as you hike to alleviate aches, pains and pressure points. Trial and error will tell you what works best for your pack and your body.
A common tactic to manage load fatigue is to tighten the shoulder straps and loosen the hipbelt, then reverse those steps later.
Be aware of body position: Leaning slightly forward will make the load feel more in balance.
Take your pack off whenever you stop for a break. That gives your hard-working back a chance to rest and breathe while you stretch out overworked muscles.
Old 16-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #98

Disagree. One thing you should never save on is backpack. Especially travelling in SEA or less developed countries. You need the backpack to endure the rough treatment you gonna get. If dirty is your issue, just buy one that is easy to wash or a dark coloured one. I always spray down my backpack after every trip and seldom the stains stay. Anyway, I don't choose my bag base solely on appearance. The comfort, durability and weight should be the main ones.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5010 using GAGT
U and many others assume that paying few hundred dollars more for a backpack = superior quality when u r probably paying that premium just for the brand name.

Nowadays there are many affordable backpacker’s backpack that look just like and feel just like a deuter or osprey 60l backpack but for a lot less. Comes with decent back support and ventilation, good sticthing, and material and comes with the usual adjustable sternum and waist strap and rain jacket that covers the entire bag. I bought one online for about 60sgd and this has accompanied me through the whole of south east asia, western China, India and Central asia as well as on my motorbike trip where the bag fell off when i didn’t secure it properly to the rack.

Still holding up strong albeit a little bit dirty and i will continue to use it for future trips.

The less developed a country u travel to the less u shld be flashy with all that branded osprey, northface, deuter bagpack. U make easy target for scammer who are constatnly sizing travelers up based on their appearance and belongings
Advfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #99
Greater Supremacy Member

Read more here.
Yup experience that during road March. After that legs become jellies

Sent from Sony Z4 using GAGT
Illusionist_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #100

Ruckpack is good leh
quickmaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #101
Great Supremacy Member

bastogne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #102
Great Supremacy Member

U and many others assume that paying few hundred dollars more for a backpack = superior quality when u r probably paying that premium just for the brand name.

Nowadays there are many affordable backpacker’s backpack that look just like and feel just like a deuter or osprey 60l backpack but for a lot less. Comes with decent back support and ventilation, good sticthing, and material and comes with the usual adjustable sternum and waist strap and rain jacket that covers the entire bag. I bought one online for about 60sgd and this has accompanied me through the whole of south east asia, western China, India and Central asia as well as on my motorbike trip where the bag fell off when i didn’t secure it properly to the rack.

Still holding up strong albeit a little bit dirty and i will continue to use it for future trips.

The less developed a country u travel to the less u shld be flashy with all that branded osprey, northface, deuter bagpack. U make easy target for scammer who are constatnly sizing travelers up based on their appearance and belongings
You still have the link to the backpack?
Din0saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #103

Google the brand name bruh. All the products with their specs are listed

You still have the link to the backpack?
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #104
Great Supremacy Member

Google the brand name bruh. All the products with their specs are listed
There’s no brand name mentioned? Just says $60 equivalent...
Din0saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 11:43 PM   #105
Master Member

Pacsafe not bad. Abit ex but the material is supposedly safe from penknife slitting.
fulaien is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.