HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

anyone take care of dementia parent? are u worried?

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #106
Master Member

No domestic helper and no siblings. I'm the only child. So daytime I work and she goes to daycare center for seniors, late afternoon then the transport (pte bus) sends her back and I buy dinner for us. We only have each other now.
Day care centers are temporary solutions.
As the dementia get worse, there will come a point where they will not want to continue taking care of them.

You might need to look into the option of getting domestic help if you have the means.

Not sure if nursing home is your option.
But I would suggest you explore that possibility as there’s only you and your mom or dad.

As the condition worsen, you will not be able to cope, especially if you have to work.

Check with the social worker on recommending a nursing home and the subsidy you are applicable to.

Cost of nursing home range from 3k to 4K and with subsidy, one could be paying 500 to 700, which excludes the diapers, and some other stuff, such as dietary powders etc, comes to around 600 to 800 in total.

As the wait for nursing home is pretty long, start looking around would be my suggestion.
lifeafter41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #107
Master Member

I realllyyyyy hope when my time comes, I have choice to be euthanized ..
playtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #108
zi

Nursing home or daycare is not a solution. The extra charges e.g. flu jab.. subsidy assessment.. physio assessment.. followup medical appt.. etc all will drive u crazy. Not to mention checking that they give your beloved parent the right diet, the right medication, the right dosage or even the way they treat your beloved. Making sure he or she is not mistreated. There is no way u can concentrate on work. Stretching yourself for home and for work end up making yourself stressed and then getting those chronic illnesses that can come together like high blood pressure. At 1 point, likely just give up on the whole career game and devote yourself to your personal priorities.
plasticpistola likes this.
zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #109
zi

Day care centers are temporary solutions.
As the dementia get worse, there will come a point where they will not want to continue taking care of them.

You might need to look into the option of getting domestic help if you have the means.

Not sure if nursing home is your option.
But I would suggest you explore that possibility as there’s only you and your mom or dad.

As the condition worsen, you will not be able to cope, especially if you have to work.

Check with the social worker on recommending a nursing home and the subsidy you are applicable to.

Cost of nursing home range from 3k to 4K and with subsidy, one could be paying 500 to 700, which excludes the diapers, and some other stuff, such as dietary powders etc, comes to around 600 to 800 in total.

As the wait for nursing home is pretty long, start looking around would be my suggestion.
Cost can be lowered with great gov subsidies if they are in low income household e.g. they are not staying with u. Diaper subsidy and milk supplement could be as much as 80%. The social workers at hospitals will be able to advise.
zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #110
Master Member

Cost can be lowered with great gov subsidies if they are in low income household e.g. they are not staying with u. Diaper subsidy and milk supplement could be as much as 80%. The social workers at hospitals will be able to advise.
Up to 80% of subsidies.....
lifeafter41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #111

Very low carb linked to Dementia and mental illnesses.

LC is INVERSELY linked there
Meaning = LC helps prevent n treat those n many other netabolic IR = Insulin Resistant conditions

The brain prefers ketones over glucose - MCT Oil helps too
Cut out all PUFA. Veg Seed Oils n Trans Fats NOW before even reaching dementia !!!

Also check for B12 Deficiency including gut absorption n intrinsic factor or pernicious aenemia problems where a B12 Jab instead of tablets would be needed - as seen in my mom's case
She is so much improved after her B12 shots - even doing more cooking now

Increase animal proteins - helps with sarcopenia too
Saturated fats cholesterol etc needed esp in elderly brain n body
Glad you showed up, you are the evidence I need.
defnull likes this.
hardwaregone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #112
Arch-Supremacy Member

Kudos to all care givers here. You are all Angels to your parents. They are blessed to have you as their child. Do remember your parents still love you no matter what illness.

Maybe this thread should be titled as Caregiver Support Group.
plasticpistola likes this.
Old 14-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #113

You have enjoyed the benefits of being a single child from young until now.

Sent from REDMI NOTE 8 Neptune Blue using GAGT
The benefit is like not very much

but I am grateful I am being brought up despite my family not well to do, I am quite scare losing my parent

if they die I can accept, but if I see them become senile really is very heartbreaking...somemore I am alone I dk how to cope
candy crush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #114

So ts is the insurance that his parents bought many years ago....
yes I am the retirement plan for my parent

I am also the insurance
Old 14-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #115
High Supremacy Member

but I am grateful I am being brought up despite my family not well to do, I am quite scare losing my parent

if they die I can accept, but if I see them become senile really is very heartbreaking...somemore I am alone I dk how to cope
Single child BBFA can be as heartbreaking as senile because its 1 vs 2 with no relieve. Senile/dementia can be very heartbreaking, losing own identity and esp u see them eating their own sheet.
matrix05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #116

This.

Old folks nursing home charges are quite expensive. $3k pm onwards.

Sent from middle class using GAGT
old folk home fee is all pay by their children?

how u all settle the bill uh? can pay by medisave?
Old 14-01-2020, 09:48 PM   #117

Single child BBFA can be as heartbreaking as senile because its 1 vs 2 with no relieve. Senile/dementia can be very heartbreaking, losing own identity and esp u see them eating their own sheet.

there is literally 生不如死
Old 14-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #118
High Supremacy Member

there is literally 生不如死
no kid you & not to frighten u.
Usually above 80 yo, got one major organ failing. Dementia is brain.
matrix05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 10:59 PM   #119
High Supremacy Member

Sounds exactly like me... I work part-time...

But my mom is diabetic for many years liao... she is 70yrs old this year.. she already have total 3 toes amputated from both feet... and she got neuropathy... so she is basically wheelchair bound... and I basically got to help her doing everything... change, toileting, clean up, bath etc.. take medicine, injection of insulin etc...

She also on perm catheter... every 6 weeks got to go hospital to change.. and urine bag I change every 2 weeks... and got to empty the urine bag at least twice per day.. once in the morning and once before bed. She is on diapers too.....

bro, i believe 孝順 kids will have their returns one.

when we were babies they also do all these things for us. time for us to take care of them when the time comes they can't do all these for themselves.
plasticpistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #120
Great Supremacy Member

learn those necessary skills early. read up on the illness. learn to do simi check BP, blood sugar, temp, change diapers etc.

and u need to install handles at home esp toilets, in case ur parents fall down. every fall will deteriorate their condition a big notch, plus a lot of extra work for caregiver. so try as much as u can to prevent them falling.

getting urself ready early will make the process less painful. dun last min dunno what to do then make the choices u regret. the docs dun always give the best options.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.