HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Canberra: Is it the new ghost town of Singapore?

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #841

It was planned as residential area. Maybe you can go URA website to check out.
Will chiong for the bto near Canberra mrt
Qing Qing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #842
Supremacy Member

I stay at Canberra. Quite boring now cos nth much and only bus 883. Luckily mrt will open soon and got more things coming.
Handsome_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #843
Master Member

I stay at Canberra. Quite boring now cos nth much and only bus 883. Luckily mrt will open soon and got more things coming.

You are the pioneer have to suffer abit but I see they developing the area well le, within 3-4 years should be bustling with activity liao
Old 21-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #844
Supremacy Member

Canberra MRT Station

Bus 883 and Northpoint at Yislum already packed like sardine can especially on weekends! You want to see Canberra packed like concentration camp?

By the way Canberra MRT Station facade is viewable from outside/inside and station signages are up. Should be open by late Nov 2019.

Given a choice would you rather have a LRT or MRT station just at your doorstep? Piggyback on the oldest and matured MRT line, Canberra residents huat liao!

The new Canberra BTO (Feb 2020) plot (beside Brownstone EC) is already in construction! If I am a unit owner of Brownstone EC sure bang balls. Pay premium price but proximity to MRT station is not even nearer than a HDB plot!

Last edited by Mr.Canberra; 21-10-2019 at 01:12 PM..
Mr.Canberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #845

Mrt slated to open 2 Nov la.. not end of nov..

When did u see an EC build jus beside or behind mrt??

Esparina at buangkok is only one ec closest to mrt before Brownstone was built. N now Brownstone is even nearer with Canberra mrt opening as compared to Esparina

Given they paid premium (800plus).. e price has went up over this few years and the current EC prices all has gone over $1K psf.. jus look at e plot opp them by Hoi Hup which need to sell 950-1k psf to earn.. with all e upcoming amenties (Canberra plaza, Bukit Canberra, etc), i think the owners r laughing rather banging balls.

Bus 883 and Northpoint at Yislum already packed like sardine can especially on weekends! You want to see Canberra packed like concentration camp?

By the way Canberra MRT Station facade is viewable from outside/inside and station signages are up. Should be open by late Nov 2019.

Given a choice would you rather have a LRT or MRT station just at your doorstep? Piggyback on the oldest and matured MRT line, Canberra residents huat liao!

The new Canberra BTO (Feb 2020) plot (beside Brownstone EC) is already in construction! If I am a unit owner of Brownstone EC sure bang balls. Pay premium price but proximity to MRT station is not even nearer than a HDB plot!
iceraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #846
Supremacy Member

Mrt slated to open 2 Nov la.. not end of nov..

When did u see an EC build jus beside or behind mrt??

Esparina at buangkok is only one ec closest to mrt before Brownstone was built. N now Brownstone is even nearer with Canberra mrt opening as compared to Esparina

Given they paid premium (800plus).. e price has went up over this few years and the current EC prices all has gone over $1K psf.. jus look at e plot opp them by Hoi Hup which need to sell 950-1k psf to earn.. with all e upcoming amenties (Canberra plaza, Bukit Canberra, etc), i think the owners r laughing rather banging balls.
Sore Brownstone EC owner spotted!
Mr.Canberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #847
Lss
Greater Supremacy Member

15 years ago sengkang was the same. I cycle past there at 10pm each block only a few units with light. Jin quiet too.
Lss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 11:50 PM   #848
Arch-Supremacy Member

Canberra mrt opening next week, Yishun residents should take note.
hwmook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #849
Master Member

Canberra mrt opening next week, Yishun residents should take note.
wa sibei sian man Next time go northpoint for makan need an extra stop. Any idea when canberra plaza be ready? The town still looks dead to me
TheSilentBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 12:03 AM   #850
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just took 883 pass the Canberra estate.. Look like ghost town sia. No amenities, lots of carpark with no cars. Mrt station not even completed. Only 1 bus... see riao jin scary...
Mrt is coming up!!
~sabaisabai~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #851
Supremacy Member

5 Reasons why Canberra is not the next Seng Kang.

1. Canberra is actually a small plot of neighbourhood compared to the Seng Kang neighbourhood. If you see the map of Canberra vs Seng Kang or even Punggol, you will notice Canberra is not that big.

2. Canberra MRT station is just 1 of MANY stations on an old train line, NSL. In contrast, Seng Kang MRT station is the 2nd last stop with Punggol being the terminus. Also Seng Kang MRT station is fully AIRCON while Canberra is open air. Can you imagine peak hour rush have to wait for trains with NO AIRCON.

3. Sengkang has connection to major expressway via TPE. Canberra is actually stuck in between Sembawang and Yishun so those driving still have to go pass Yishun Avenue 8 (newly opened extension) > Yishun Avenue 1 > Seletar before they reach TPE/CTE or via Sembawang > Woodlands Avenue 12 > SLE if they are going west wards.

4. Sengkang neighbourhood is surrounded by Yio chu kang industrial estate, Hougang, and the future paya lebar estate after paya lebar airbase relocation. It has great connectivity to the best food in the East. Meanwhile if you see the "front" and "back" of Canberra.. towards the south-west (front) side, you get the Sembawang Airbase. Towards the north-east (back) side, you get Simpang Training Area. How is this good?

5. Nearest existing shopping mall is Yishun Northpoint City, Sembawang Sun Plaza and a smaller Sembawang Shopping Centre mall. No good food exist nearby Canberra, unless later on those famous vendors move to the north which is highly unlikely. Meanwhile Seng kang is less than 10 minutes drive to Boon Keng which has a high concentration of good food. In addition, Seng Kang has its own Compass one mall (newly renovated), Rivervale Mall, Rivervale Plaza, Waterway Plaza, Waterway Point, countless others weekend activities like prawning and relatively closer access to Coney Island. In future, it's host to the Punggol Digital District.

So really, how to compare?
Old 22-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #852
High Supremacy Member

I already said so many times...

If want to buy condo, then buy prime central region (e.g. Newton area)

If only got budget for condo in suburban then might as well buy HDB.

muddywaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #853
High Supremacy Member

5 Reasons why Canberra is not the next Seng Kang.

1. Canberra is actually a small plot of neighbourhood compared to the Seng Kang neighbourhood. If you see the map of Canberra vs Seng Kang or even Punggol, you will notice Canberra is not that big.

2. Canberra MRT station is just 1 of MANY stations on an old train line, NSL. In contrast, Seng Kang MRT station is the 2nd last stop with Punggol being the terminus. Also Seng Kang MRT station is fully AIRCON while Canberra is open air. Can you imagine peak hour rush have to wait for trains with NO AIRCON.

3. Sengkang has connection to major expressway via TPE. Canberra is actually stuck in between Sembawang and Yishun so those driving still have to go pass Yishun Avenue 8 (newly opened extension) > Yishun Avenue 1 > Seletar before they reach TPE/CTE or via Sembawang > Woodlands Avenue 12 > SLE if they are going west wards.

4. Sengkang neighbourhood is surrounded by Yio chu kang industrial estate, Hougang, and the future paya lebar estate after paya lebar airbase relocation. It has great connectivity to the best food in the East. Meanwhile if you see the "front" and "back" of Canberra.. towards the south-west (front) side, you get the Sembawang Airbase. Towards the north-east (back) side, you get Simpang Training Area. How is this good?

5. Nearest existing shopping mall is Yishun Northpoint City, Sembawang Sun Plaza and a smaller Sembawang Shopping Centre mall. No good food exist nearby Canberra, unless later on those famous vendors move to the north which is highly unlikely. Meanwhile Seng kang is less than 10 minutes drive to Boon Keng which has a high concentration of good food. In addition, Seng Kang has its own Compass one mall (newly renovated), Rivervale Mall, Rivervale Plaza, Waterway Plaza, Waterway Point, countless others weekend activities like prawning and relatively closer access to Coney Island. In future, it's host to the Punggol Digital District.

So really, how to compare?
i stay sengkang, not bad la, but here drive to boon keng where got 10mins only, serangoon at best la
codexboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #854
Arch-Supremacy Member

wa sibei sian man Next time go northpoint for makan need an extra stop. Any idea when canberra plaza be ready? The town still looks dead to me
HDB tender ongoing, my guess is another 6 months at least.
hwmook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #855

Where is Waterway plaza????
javierlee30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.