HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Do u use water filter at home?

Like Tree185Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #136
Great Supremacy Member

Yup this is considered a good and affordable product for its price, around 90USD for the filtration system which can house 1 cartridge. Compared to a normal RO with 5 cartridges, the effectiveness of cleaning the water (in terms of % and certain contaminants) is lesser which is understandable. If you get a not bad full RO water filter, it will cost around 200USD which I feel is worth it. It is under sink and waste water drained into water pipe directly. Again, it is the water pressure preventing me from doing it. Haha. If really cant, this is a pretty good option.

Actually less than 90 USD if one has lower budget and don't mind TB. The basic materials used are safe lah.....Polypropylene, Polyethylene. No BPA, BPS, BFS and all that. Not a painted pdt also. Same thing goes to the MIC air purifiers.

For those who are interested, can use this. They sell the accessories too, like hoses, PP 1 or 5 micron sediment filters to pre-filter so that the life of the main filter is extended if you are aiming for a 2-housing filter. You can get from other sellers as well coz there are other variations of PP sediment filters like variable pore size filters that changes from 10 microns to 1 microns as the water flows through the filter.

Actually if you are aiming to boil the water to 100 deg before drinking so that any bacteria is killed, it is very safe to "push" the KDF/GACC/AA filter to 12 months (manufacturer's capacity is 500 gallons 6mths).

TIP
Amazon has CITISG promo code till 30 June, 15 USD disc.
If the item is for PRIME members, just sign up for PRIME foc for 30 days, after buying it remember to cancel your membership so that it's zero charge

It cannot be checked out directly via the official Taobao forwarders due to keywords restriction. However just go to the official Taobao thread here and ask how to buy stuff via 3rd party forwarders like Ezbuy/Camilize.com etc.
They have buyforme services, very easy to checkout.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ea...36932-143.html

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...id=19174164993

I'm not really into RO hence i can't offer any in-depth advices. There probably are others here with in-depth knowledge on RO but they are not seeing this thread, yet.

I'll see if i can dig out anything regarding the water pressure needed for RO systems.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 17-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #137
Arch-Supremacy Member

Good info !!

Actually less than 90 USD if one has lower budget and don't mind TB. The basic materials used are safe lah.....Polypropylene, Polyethylene. No BPA, BPS, BFS and all that. Not a painted pdt also. Same thing goes to the MIC air purifiers.

For those who are interested, can use this. They sell the accessories too, like hoses, PP 1 or 5 micron sediment filters to pre-filter so that the life of the main filter is extended if you are aiming for a 2-housing filter. You can get from other sellers as well coz there are other variations of PP sediment filters like variable pore size filters that changes from 10 microns to 1 microns as the water flows through the filter.

Actually if you are aiming to boil the water to 100 deg before drinking so that any bacteria is killed, it is very safe to "push" the KDF/GACC/AA filter to 12 months (manufacturer's capacity is 500 gallons 6mths).

TIP
Amazon has CITISG promo code till 30 June, 15 USD disc.
If the item is for PRIME members, just sign up for PRIME foc for 30 days, after buying it remember to cancel your membership so that it's zero charge

It cannot be checked out directly via the official Taobao forwarders due to keywords restriction. However just go to the official Taobao thread here and ask how to buy stuff via 3rd party forwarders like Ezbuy/Camilize.com etc.
They have buyforme services, very easy to checkout.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ea...36932-143.html

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...id=19174164993

I'm not really into RO hence i can't offer any in-depth advices. There probably are others here with in-depth knowledge on RO but they are not seeing this thread, yet.

I'll see if i can dig out anything regarding the water pressure needed for RO systems.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #138
Great Supremacy Member

Tripleg, let me breakdown the charges. Actually can really try first to see if it works for you, coz not only is it much cheaper than RO, it is also less intrusive, much less difficult to install (DIY) probably needing a hole to be drilled into the countertop/sink and less lehceh to run/replace cartridges, less recurrent running costs.

Though the Xiaomi RO filter is a much easier option as it mounts to the faucet.

The CITISG USD15 discount is only applicable for USD 125 purchases though, forgot to add. But actually the shipping cost is just 9.92usd for the Home Master cartridge via Amazon, if you are aiming to just get 1 first to try.

Taobao filter housings ~ $20 shipping included via 3rd party forwarder.

You may also want to do another type of filter housing, the one with input and output both on the tap faucet. The filter housing can then be located on say on a "ledge" that is above the sink. Or you mount it on the wall or something.....many options.

The hole is 2 分 (1/4 inch) or 4 分 (1/2inch) There are suitable adapter sizes being sold by the seller as well. The metal faucet adapters take 1/4 inch 2分 hoses. So do your own design/homework.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...id=41209541438

Supposedly "higher end better quality" filter housing by the same seller.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=547438157002

Faucet hole size adapters, if you need them. There are other variants, search for them (let me know if anybody needs help for their specific sizes coz some of those "atas" ones got funny sizes) But typically is 19mm, 21.5mm and 24mm internal thread. External tread on the faucet is 22mm on mine, which is what the adapters have. So direct mount.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=524568456019

~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 17-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #139
Great Supremacy Member

Good info !!
Actually there are many stuff on Taobao that you can DIY with. Just need quite a fair bit of time/effort to sniff them out. Also buying them is not that easy....luckily nowadays 3rd party forwarders are pretty good (not talking about EZBuy, which isn't that good).

If the Taobao official forwarders like 4PX, Simplypost cannot ship it over, i personally use camilize.com, the buyforme svc is FOC now. Easy.

And also one need to have a bit of trust on its "safety" and quality. It's an understandable concern. Just don't go for the bottom quality cheapo stuff, you'd be fine.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 17-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #140
Great Supremacy Member

Oh BTW if it isn't obvious, let me say it here.

The solid carbon blocks on Taobao are basically different grades of CTO filters - Chlorine Taste Odour filters.

They don't really filter Chloramine well, probably like at most 100 litres of chloramine capacity @ slow 1 litre per min flowrate. (Chlorine would easily be a few thousand litres). Coz they are not catalytic activated carbon.

They definitely would not do lead or other heavy metals. Forget about that.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 17-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #141
Supremacy Member

Hi WussRedXLi,

Very good info, agree that these filtration models are very good options if I cant install the RO filter.

Price of RO filter: 200USD
1 year cartridges (5) supply: 50USD

Some brands comes with original 1 year supply and an additional 1 year for free. For me personally, I am not worried about the lack of minerals but just want it to be 99.9% clean, hahaha. Agree that the installation is a little more time consuming but it is 1 time and can last perpetually of course until the RO filter spoils. The min. water pressure that is required is 40 psi. I called several plumbers and I am surprised that they do not actually know the figure! Landed property should reach 40 psi with no issues. Like you mentioned, there are a couple of members here who have installed RO filters so it would be good if I can know if theirs is working well.

Actually it is pretty amazing that these filter systems (normal filtration, ultrafiltration, RO) are so much cheaper online compared to the usual retail places here.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
tripleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #142
Greater Supremacy Member

Pls intro me 1! Dunno whats the problem with my hse water, i suspect got minerals, utensils rust very fast

~Dragonite~ likes this.
demongod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #143
Supremacy Member

Just for everybody's info, the water 'ionizers' in the market are not scientifically proven at all and has no proven effects to the human bodies. It adds substantial cost to the water filter system. Below is a basic breakdown of the different costs of different filter systems:

Normal/ultrafiltration: $1000
Plus hot and colder water dispenser: $1500
Plus ionizer: $2500

It is very high price with no proven benefits (treating cancer etc). Across the board, Singapore retail prices for water filters is very overpriced.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
tripleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #144
Honorary Member

nope, never use such filters
~Dragonite~ likes this.
mrclubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #145
eyz
Supremacy Member

I love your enthusiasm in everything DIY, Wuss!
WussRedXLi and ~Dragonite~ like this.

Last edited by eyz; 17-06-2017 at 12:27 PM..
eyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #146
High Supremacy Member

i budget so i use this type of filter

~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 17-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #147
Great Supremacy Member

Actually it is pretty amazing that these filter systems (normal filtration, ultrafiltration, RO) are so much cheaper online compared to the usual retail places here[/B].
I think predominantly it's Taobao and Amazon first and foremost. Followed by a distant second with Ebay, qoo10, maybe carousell.

This happens with many things that my family are buying for ourselves, the kids and also my parents/in-laws. I can't even finish counting.... the water filters' close cousin that I also do would be HEPA filters. (there's actually a very long air purifier thread here in HWZ, and also a dedicated Haze thread )
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 17-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #148
Great Supremacy Member

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81jhAmVVv-L._SL1500_.jpg[/IMG]
These ones might be budget priced, but the performance is good. The activated carbon used can probably do NSF-53 in many contaminants, and lead reduction is what i am digging (with the recent info that i have got).
The only thing is that since the AC is not the catalytic type, the chloramine performance would suffer. Eg 100 gallons cartridge, maybe can do 10 gallons before 20% breakthrough of chloramines. (if you are after chloramine reduction)

Actually recently there was news in that a family in SG was spending ~ SGD 200 per month on bottled water. Coz they do not like the chlorine in the water (actually they really mean monochloramine/dichloramine/trichloramine which has high persistence.....chlorine levels at our taps would have dropped to pretty negligible levels).
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ea...r-5619227.html

Those into the hardcore types of aquarium/reefing hobby would know.
I said hardcore coz last time i used to have a 4-foot cichlid tank, and mostly they bochup the water quality with such chlorine/chloramine problems during partial water changes, solid hardy fishes.

Re-post this again
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 17-06-2017 at 01:38 PM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #149
Great Supremacy Member

Pls intro me 1! Dunno whats the problem with my hse water, i suspect got minerals, utensils rust very fast
Later i reply.....i'm outside.

edit - i think your utensils rust is coz of your utensils lah. Nothing much to do with the water. heh....
Singapore's water is pretty soft, so we are sorta "blessed" that way. Nowadays we also add Newater which make up a portion of our tap water. I remember some pax reporting 50-80ppm TDS at various parts of Singapore in another thread. (coz they got the Zerowater system from Amazon).

I don't see much in our water that'd cost your utensils to really corrode. Good stainless steel wouldn't easily corrode also.
demongod and ~Dragonite~ like this.
Old 17-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #150
Supremacy Member

No need expensive ones. All those MLM systems just jiak $$$

Using Brita myself, cheap and good.

If really need a lot of volume, can follow this sg researcher's recommendations here: http://waterqualityinsingapore.blogspot.sg/

A lot of MLM companies always go around BTO estates now. Claimed to be accredited but if you check closely, those type of accreditation usually is ownself give ownself, from commercial entities, not government body. Don't be conned.

Edit: Actually tap water is good enough if want to save money
I am looking to buy water filter. Any recommendation ?
Brita where got cheap I buy Cleansui from qoo10. PUB uses Cleansui membrane for their R.O. also. Ship direct from Japan

~Dragonite~ likes this.
vj_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.