HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

'Foolish mistake' to think PAP will suffer the same fate as Malaysia's former government

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #181
Arch-Supremacy Member

'Foolish mistake' to think PAP will suffer the same fate as Malaysia's former government : Ho Kwon Ping

However, he warned of the possibility that the PAP might no longer be in power in the future, though this might only happen in the next 20 to 30 years.

This guy said the above on October 2014 mah

Link:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...s-ho-kwon-ping
Old 13-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #182
Master Member

This guy said the above on October 2014 mah

Link:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...s-ho-kwon-ping

sagu point Mr Ho Kwon Ping was delivering the first series of IPS-Nathan lectures then and we had also then discussed this topic here in edmw

SINGAPORE - A series of five lectures that were given earlier this year by the first S R Nathan Fellow for the Study of Singapore has been collected in a book.

Launched on Friday (Oct 30, 2015) night, the book titled The Ocean in a Drop - Singapore: The Next Fifty Years reproduces the lectures by Banyan Tree Holdings' Executive Chairman Ho Kwon Ping on a number of forward-looking topics ranging from politics and governance to society and identity.

During these lectures organised by the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS), Mr Ho had put forward several controversial ideas, such as national service for women and doing away with caning.

Former president S R Nathan, who was at the launch, said: "With his rich and vast experiences, it is befitting that we share his experiences in the book ahead of us."

In a speech at the launch, Mr Ho said that asking "why" had landed him in trouble many times throughout his life - including a stint where he was detained under the Internal Security Act - but which also helped test and strengthen his convictions.

"Asking why has led me to be thrown out of Stanford, jailed in California, barred from entry to the USA for two decades, and detained in Singapore under the ISA," he said.

"But my intention has never been to challenge something for its own sake. Indeed… asking why has led me to reinforce several fundamental convictions and discover some innovative thoughts."

A former journalist, Mr Ho was detained under the ISA in 1977 for writing articles with a pro-Communist slant.

Mr Ho said the book is not meant to be a manifesto or a coherent policy paper, but will hopefully stimulate others, especially the young, to explore issues Singapore faces in the future and the type of society they want to live in.

Published by World Scientific Publishing in collaboration with IPS, the book is available at bookstores at S$48 for the hardcover and S$25 for the paperback edition.

#saguwisdom
Old 13-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #183
Arch-Supremacy Member

PAP won't lose power lah. Sleep well.

70% popular vote has a long long way to go.

BN popular vote was already down to under 45% in the previous GE. So the wall was already very shaky.

Here, 70% at most go down to 60% nia.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #184
Master Member

he was the former MP rite?

anyhoo, i think the main difference is the people.

we're the sort that are really easy to rule over lol
No he’s not. I think his wife Claire Chiang was an ex NMP. Not him.

The interesting thing is Mr Ho himself was once anti establishment and quite a freedom fighter. He was once a journalist and wrote some articles that angered LKY and was thrown into prison. That was before he went to Stanford to study (he’s from a loaded family). Looks like he’s sold out his principles and dignity to the devil since then.
https://www.bbc.com/news/11910973
BigStick and Vritsme like this.

Last edited by Eagleeyes; 13-07-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Eagleeyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #185
Master Member

I never said I was rich but you admitted the 30% are poor.

Sent from LENOVO LENOVO A2010-A using GAGT
LOL don’t be a fool. I know lots of well to do people who are part of the 30%. You’re just using your own 井底蛙 peasant outlook and projecting that onto others. To u, u think as long as someone is comfortable and financially secure, they will not have any higher aspirations and values. That’s because that’s you, low on the Maslow hierarchy. In fact, I guess it’s u who’s poor that’s why you’ve such weird thoughts.

A lot of ppl subscribe to liberal values due to exposure overseas and they went overseas cuz their parents are rich
focus1974 and Vritsme like this.
Old 13-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #186
Greater Supremacy Member

Who is this bugger, jump 1 company to another

His wife also
Old 13-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #187
Master Member

Who is this bugger, jump 1 company to another

His wife also
He owns Banyan tree. He took over family business and restructured it into Banyan tree. All the other things are just his 课外活动
Old 13-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #188
Supremacy Member

Ive never stayed at Banyan Tree. It always looked to me like a cheap version of Aman resorts.
*thumb up*

You have not missed anything at all. Spend your money elsewhere
Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #189
Great Supremacy Member

this kind .. seriously.
halocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #190
Arch-Supremacy Member

No he’s not. I think his wife Claire Chiang was an ex NMP. Not him.

The interesting thing is Mr Ho himself was once anti establishment and quite a freedom fighter. He was once a journalist and wrote some articles that angered LKY and was thrown into prison. That was before he went to Stanford to study (he’s from a loaded family). Looks like he’s sold out his principles and dignity to the devil since then.
Every time I see him I remember Banyan Tree. Don’t know why. Haha.

KL now has Banyan Tree.
civicguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #191
Master Member

yeah.....that's why one should be working in sme....so small, nothing much to do and profit pour in by itself.
Small place don’t get profit pouring in by itself but it is easier to control. Nothing wrong with the statement you quoted. When we are talking about authoritarian dictatorship, ease of control is all about size. That’s why despite far more draconian laws, ppl who have lived in both tiong and Sg have said Sg is actually less free because it’s so tiny it’s totally under PAP thumb and sealed up. There’s a lot of places to dodge and hide in China and when I say places, I dun just mean literal physical spaces.
Old 13-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #192
Honorary Member

it will be FOOLISH mistake think PAP will suffer because is the PEOPLE SUFFER EVEN MORE AS YEARS GONE BY
Old 13-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #193
High Supremacy Member

No hes not. I think his wife Claire Chiang was an ex NMP. Not him.

The interesting thing is Mr Ho himself was once anti establishment and quite a freedom fighter. He was once a journalist and wrote some articles that angered LKY and was thrown into prison. That was before he went to Stanford to study (hes from a loaded family). Looks like hes sold out his principles and dignity to the devil since then.

whoa this is new.
plasticpistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #194
Supremacy Member

No you said "you" referring to me pretty clearly unless you were inferring that I'm part of the opposition.
Ahh, my bad...the "you" was talking about the opp candidates, particularly csj

Now you're going backwards again and I'll have to take it back. Won't csj fighting for democracy serve the above agreed agenda for everyone? Its better if you be more precise and elaborate your subjective opinion about his whining.

You literally just said a few sentences above "there's a case to be made for fair and equal election", then you u-turned and don't care its unfair? You sound confused. Now you are just repeating yourself. For starters, whether for GE or PE they are not even a truly democratic procedure anymore responsible for the actions of the elected ones, as there is no transparency, control and meritocracy. For the damages they cause to the country or the people, the election system itself IS not fair to the people.

No i dont think there is a contradiction. One may think there is a good cause for something to exist but not necessarily care about it, politically.

For eg. I think there is a good case to be made for right to marraige to be extended to homosexuals. But i dont care about it. I am not going to vote differently because of it. If there is a candidate that whines about the lack of marriage equality in SG, the electorate isnt going to care.

Same thing for csj. he can talk until the cows come home about democracy, but Singaporeans primarily care more about cost of living, jobs, the economy, gst etc.

You might say that makes him passionate about that issue, i would say he just has the wrong idea of what people care about.
Old 13-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #195
Supremacy Member

Show proof of your claim on 30%.
Does such data even exist?

I am making inferences from what i observe in EDMW. The 30% in here is misogynist, mildly chauvinistic, hates refugees and FTs.

So why among these people, there is a huge support for welfare? Are these people are actually rich successful people who care about the poor people? Or lazy incompetent losers who believe the state owes them a living.

I think the latter.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.