HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Guys! You all got DIY clean your aircon blower ?

Like Tree241Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #3301
Arch-Supremacy Member

also I did a chemical cleaning on my ME aircon this May, but now one of the unit has a foul smell (like moldy smell) when starting up. after 10min the smell is gone.

I think might be an issue with mold on the drain dish (not sure if this is the correct term). since I can't dismantle the unit easily, going to get the tech to come down take a look and also see how he dismantle the cover.
1) May till now, the FCU may need servicing if usage is heavy.

2) Check the liquid coming out of your drainage pipe. If slimy, then confirm must clean already.

3) If watery but moldy smell only at the startup, I wouldn't bother too much. Mine is also like that.
Old 13-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #3302
Supremacy Member

Great info...
brownkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #3303
Great Supremacy Member

There really shdn't really be any mold smell, even if 4-6 months never cleaned. At least not at my grandma's house. Used daily. There might be a reduction in airflow though (normal particulates like those on your fan blades), but no smell.

From May till now is only 3 months.
If there is that funny smell, that just merely means that the previous cleaning was half-assed, or the cleaning procedure has problems.

But of coz, my method of cleaning is with detegent/solvent cleaners and high pressure water.
Old 13-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #3304
Arch-Supremacy Member

Some times when you start up the aircon, there is a little bad smell.

I don't know what smell that is.

Since the smell goes off after that, there isn't any need to be alarmed.
Old 14-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #3305
Master Member

thanks guys for your advice and experience.

let me get the tech guy to come down and take a look then i will update on the situation.

btw has anyone tried using diluted bleach solution on the coils before? is it safe?

Last edited by Snokey; 14-08-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Snokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #3306

Hi, any review on york aircon ? Think of getting it as my current system 2 RIP after 18years....
heard not as good leh, more good reviews are aircons like MBI
wantinglim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #3307
Supremacy Member

[QUOTE=mkaung2000;121630614]- After removing the blower.

- Remove from another FCU.

- Clean in the toilet using,

Where can I buy the A400 Alkaline Coil Cleaner?
Old 19-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #3308
Great Supremacy Member

Where can I buy the A400 Alkaline Coil Cleaner?

There are a few ways, some get from Daikin pro shop, but if you don't want the hassle, just get from horme.

https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=3769

Can get some fire extinguishers or something if you want to hit free delivery or something.

But only use this coil cleaner if you can tear down the whole unit like what mkuang2000 did. If you cannot flush out the coil cleaner thoroughly, you are going to screw up your aluminum evaporator coil and the copper pipes at the sides.

Safer option is to use the detergent/solvent cleaners, don't need total teardown. Go read this thread's earlier parts, all info there.
tigerwoods likes this.
Old 20-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #3309
Master Member

let me get the tech guy to come down and take a look then i will update on the situation.

btw has anyone tried using diluted bleach solution on the coils before? is it safe?
update - the tech came down to take a look and dismantled everything to take a look. the smell was actually coming from the blower which is surprising because it's just plastic all over. he helped to wash it clean and no more smell for now.

the way he dismantled looks damn easy as it took like 15s for the blower and drain pan. but he mentioned he's more familiar with the technique and that Mit E is one of the easiest to maintain.

anyway he didn't charge me for this wash. pretty nice and honest chap.

which also goes to show if I have a pressure washer and the aircon bag, I should be able to clean this myself.
Snokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #3310
Master Member

Guys any good cleaner (spray) to recommend. Saw some china brand and wd40 on qoo10 but unsure how good they are.

Looking for diy cleaner that cleans very well, easy to use and no chemical/weird smell
Cookie Muncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #3311
Great Supremacy Member

Just saw this, no .... don't use diluted bleach solution. Though when in diluted form, it isn't extremely alkaline, so probably not going to cause any big caustic issues.

But it would smell a lot afterwards. Much more than using the multipurpose/floor cleaners or windows/glass cleaners.
Old 20-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #3312
Great Supremacy Member

Guys any good cleaner (spray) to recommend. Saw some china brand and wd40 on qoo10 but unsure how good they are.

Looking for diy cleaner that cleans very well, easy to use and no chemical/weird smell
No such cleaner exists unfortunately.

Cleans very well - i think that means a pretty much clogged evaporator coil full of dust and mold inside and your expectation is that it is cleaned nearly totally within 2X washing.
No solvent/detergent cleaner, even with no smell types, are able to clean that without the help of high pressure/high velocity water. They are the safest/easiest to use though.
Old 20-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #3313
Great Supremacy Member

Even for washing clothes that are extremely heavily soiled, you are never gonna wash it clean enough even with the highest concentration of laundry detergent/colour bleach and then just use plain water to run it over to rinse.

You are still gonna need physical agitation force, it the washing machine.

And in our case, the high pressure high velocity water is the washing machine, high velocity is coz we wanna achieve total and confirmed no second-guessing penetration of the coil. Of coz with tap water pressure + a china Taobao nozzle, it can get the outer external surfaces pretty clean with the detergent/solvent cleaners.
Old 20-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #3314
Supremacy Member

Anyone tried this Kleenso Aircon Coil Cleaner before? Looks like those alkaline chemical solution, very strong.

Last edited by tigerwoods; 20-08-2019 at 08:43 PM..
tigerwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #3315
Great Supremacy Member

the way he dismantled looks damn easy as it took like 15s for the blower and drain pan. but he mentioned he's more familiar with the technique and that Mit E is one of the easiest to maintain.

anyway he didn't charge me for this wash. pretty nice and honest chap.

which also goes to show if I have a pressure washer and the aircon bag, I should be able to clean this myself.
If that's the case and yours is Mitsubishi electric, why dont you just learn how to dismantle and wash. It's not thhhhaat difficult.

For some of us, dismantling is not that easy and carries risk. I have dismantled mine before, just that for 1 of the 3 FCUs, that single unit is damn difficult. MAybe something corroded inside, the central shaft or what. For others, maybe they bent something last time or what, so have troubles.
So that's why i just hit it with the pressure washer, it's actually faster that way too.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.