Home Cooking preferably LCHF Series - share ideas etc

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will report on the Steps to the Sweet Potato Bacon Bites later as that needs GAGT with the HP

Not too bad - rather flavourful with the extra dry spices etc brown sugar
BUT I burnt the bacon as wanted the sweet potato to be cooked thru'
(my impatience with using slightly higher temp n shorter baking time)
Mom also approves the flavours except the sweet potato was slightly 'a bit dry' in addition to the burnt bacon there ....

I took out more than half the Streaky Bacon and re-froze the rest in freezer
The amount should be enough for at least 1 week's use here bah ....

Have changed my mind
Instead of the Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf for dinner tonight, that might probably be for tomorrow as it's a very Slow-Cooking leisurely item there n would do that late tonight after the TV time tonight

Mom asked me to do Dinner tonight so I'm switching to an easy Cabbage Bacon item that can be done in the skillet over the stove no rice needed with it as will throw in some other meat probably the chicken breast fillets now thawing away ....will go SEARCH the fridge later - see got mushrooms or not etc think there's some brinjals still .....

Let's explore the various recipes here ....

7cba3a061fa50b7d732e67a304ff675b.jpg

Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Bacon
A German-inspired side dish. This cabbage is full of sweet, sour, and salty flavors.

With crunchy bacon, onion, sweetness from a hefty dose of sugar, tang from cider vinegar, and saltiness from soy sauce, this side dish will wake up every taste bud in your mouth. So much so that you might wish it was the main dish instead of just a side.

I love to serve it with Bratwurst and Knockwurst. I slice them in half horizontally, place them in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil and brown them up a little bit. But you could slice them and cook them with the cabbage for a one dish meal. Easy peasy!

https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/sweet-and-sour-cabbage-with-bacon/

Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Bacon

A German-inspired side dish. This cabbage is full of sweet, sour, and salty flavors.
Course: Side Dish
Servings: 4

Ingredients
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 medium green cabbage, cored and cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
+ garlic, salt/black pepper ?

Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy pot (I use a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crisp, stirring frequently.
2. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a plate. Add onion and cabbage to pot and cook, stirring often, until cabbage is wilted (about 10 minutes).
3. Add vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce and cook until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 10 more minutes.
4. Stir in bacon.

b518bc527790cd3cd5dc7b15ca2f7891.jpg

Southern-Fried-Cabbage-Pinterest-Collage.jpg

http://www.auntbeesrecipes.com/2015/02/southern-fried-cabbage.html

SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE

Ingredients
12 oz bacon, diced raw
1 head cabbage, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp Worcestershire
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
black pepper to taste

Instructions
1. Add chopped bacon to a large pot. Cook over medium heat until extra crispy. Remove bacon from pot, leaving the grease.
2. Add cabbage to pot and cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes, Stirring every minute or so.
3. Add onion and continue cooking 5 more minutes, still stirring every minute.
4. Add Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, & brown sugar.
5. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is cooked through. Add cooked bacon to cabbage and taste to adjust seasoning. Serve.

2f74816765bdcb644644d29aa47bcf55.jpg

http://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/2016/08/southern-bacon-fried-cabbage.html

Southern Bacon-Fried Cabbage

by Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head cabbage, cored and chopped
2 tsp. seasoned salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. garlic powder

Instructions
1. Cook the bacon in a jumbo cooker over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve 2 tbsp. of the bacon grease and discard the rest.
2. In the same jumbo cooker, return the 2 tbsp. bacon grease. Over medium-high heat, cook the onion until it is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for an additional 1 minute. Stir in the cabbage and continue to cook and stir for 4-5 minutes. Add the seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix well.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
4. Just before serving, mix the bacon into the cooked cabbage. Serve immediately.

You'll want to make this Southern Bacon-Fried Cabbage again and again! Its hard to believe that such simple ingredients could result in such a flavorful and delicious side dish!

Lita August 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM
Bacon makes a great addition to cabbage. I like to fry bacon in my cast iron skillet. That fat keeps the skillet seasoned.
Thanks for sharing.
Wishes for tasty dishes,
Linda

Michelle DudenhoeferJuly 4, 2017 at 6:12 PM
Been making this for years but add sliced smoked sausage and al-dente mini-farfalle. Makes for a very hearty meal.

DaisyJuly 22, 2017 at 4:03 AM
Fried cabbage, hot buttered fried corn bread with blackberry jam on the side, fried taters and onions, sliced beefsteak tomatoes and vinegared cucumbers and onions, a skillet full of fried silver queen corn, with thick slices of jowl bacon slurped down with a couple of tall glasses of cold sweet tea! Dang, I miss my Mama!

c2415558dcbfb5e48164d60c4432cca2.jpg

http://www.withablast.net/2015/09/fried-cabbage.html

Fried Cabbage

Author: Linda Nortje
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Servings: Serves: 4

Fried Cabbage with Bacon is tasty and a very popular side dish

INGREDIENTS:
125 g Bacon ( 4 oz )
1 Whole Cabbage, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup Butter
1 t Salt
1/4 t Black Pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.) Cook the Bacon in a large non-stick pan, with a lid, until crispy - remove, crumble and set aside.
2.) Using the same pan, add the Cabbage, Butter, Salt and Pepper - stir, cover and let simmer 20 minutes until the Cabbage is tender.
3.) Return the Bacon to the pan and stir into the Cabbage - heat through if necessary.

To be continued .... got to do my Cabbage Bacon Dinner now
To DECIDE - let it remain Low Carb n NOT add in pasta farfalle bowtie - for mom ??
OR to just add in a couple of chicken fillets to add some bulk for mom ??? .......

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wed tea item - Sweet Potato Bacon Bites
ruwJV6Dl.jpg

Prepping the 2 main ingredients
Sweet Potato n Bacon
eQDYE7El.jpg

Olive oil n dry ingredients (details at earlier post on recipe) mixed well onto the sweet potatoes
KcYDuiJl.jpg

Baking in halogen oven after wrapping potatoes in bacon
ZfaNDgal.jpg

P2XamkQl.jpg

1hvLANfl.jpg

Flipped over
P872qRul.jpg

mY8EOnhl.jpg

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Prepping Dinner Item
Southern Fried Cabbage with Bacon with a yumny Sweet Sour tang - I made this side dish into a Main Meal by adding bowtie pasta or farfalle to it
Frying up 6 slivers of thawed frozen bacon in non-stick pan + diced onion + leftover diced luncheon meat + some Chinese sausage + 8-10 cabbage leaves (mom refused to let me use the whole remaining head of cabbage) + chopped garlic
mnvN9Unl.jpg

Frying the luncheon meat n Chinese sausage in skillet
R1sH9gdl.jpg

Added onions n garlic
jsGokekl.jpg

+ Cabbage + Worcestershire sauce ACV brown sugar garlic powder (see 2nd Recipe in related recipe post above for specific details)
mboiR3el.jpg

Stirring things up over lower flame
j271Y5Gl.jpg

2 handfuls of cooked farfalle or bowtie pasta (cooked in separate pot with salt) finally added to the braised cabbage
Added black pepper - taste seasoning adjust if needed
FezLwCxl.jpg

Dinner is served !
rb25J2kl.jpg

MGbG14Bl.jpg

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wed Meals

Again the usual IF porridge lunch at 1pm
- tausi minced pork
- bitter gourd in taucheo
- some pickled lettuce
SzCj5bWl.jpg

Tea time - bacon was burnt in many pieces - fault of impatient me as used higher oven temp for shorter baking time
We like the extra flavours from the brown sugar cinnamon n Copycat Mrs Dash's dry seasoning mix...
FEISgpvl.jpg

kI1JB90l.jpg

krw54uvl.jpg

Rp40Fqal.jpg

Our all-in-one Southern Fried Cabbage with pasta dinner
ztfJhZ6l.jpg

hl8Ex4il.jpg

Even mom likes the appetizing slight sourish tang here tho' this time said just-slightly a bit too salty (instead of too bland) - due to the salty pasta water I transferred over together with the cooked farfalle when doing the final cooking...

After dinner guava with Earl Grey tea
FfJgdyfl.jpg

Later after TV
got to complete frying up the balance of the thawed bacon (still got <1kg remaining in freezer) n to prep the next bacon item for tomorrow Bacon Wrapped Meat Loaf !
Got to search for the cooking thermometer too ....

Mom broke my cute Daiso White Gratin Bowl (dropped out from dish drainer at sink) when she was doing tonight's washing up ... sighzzzzz

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Found the Meatloaf Surprise recipe ...
hmmm I don't have any frozen peas left
maybe can use frozen endamame instead or ???
Hmmm maybe can use some pistachio/pumpkin or sunflower seeds there for some crunch + Dried Cranberries/Apricots for extra flavours too

* ADD Personal Twist here
1. Line a Bread Loaf Tin with slices of bacon
2. Put the prepped meatloaf roll onto the bacon
3. Arrange to fold the pieces of bacon to enclose the meat-roll
4. Bake in oven - like doing a Country Pate with thermometer etc ....

4df57f129c49497e5756187d07cbbe76.jpg

http://www.melaniecooks.com/stuffed-meatloaf-recipe/876/

Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe

It looks like an ordinary meatloaf on the outside, but when you slice it, it has a beautiful filling of boiled egg and peas! Fun twist on the old classic, give it a try - you'll love it!
Author: MelanieCooks.com
Recipe type: Beef
Cuisine: American
Serves: 4 servings

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef
4 hard-boiled eggs
½ cup frozen green peas (thawed in a microwave)
4 cheese slices
1 small onion, minced
2 slices of bread
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 tbsp ketchup

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Put the bread in a bowl with water. Take the bread out and pour out the water. In a bowl, put the wet bread, meat and minced onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until everything is combined.
4. Cut a large rectangle of a plastic wrap and put it on the counter. Spread the meat mixture on it. Sprinkled the peas on top of the meat layer. In the middle of the meat layer, put the eggs and cheese slices.
5. Lift the plastic wrap on the sides and roll the meat so the filling is inside the roll.
6. Carefully move the meatloaf to the baking sheet. Remove and discard the plastic wrap.
7. Spread the ketchup on top of the meatloaf.
8. Put the meatloaf in the oven and bake for 1 hour.

Some more Bacon Possibilities to explore ...

1de61733e44c5b87a8a5c46172f6157b.jpg

http://www.hormel.com/Recipes.aspx
http://blacklabelbacon.com/recipes

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/47/f8/c7/47f8c7e0f6b8d25e5865420f4cee9d8a.jpg[IMG]

TBC - need to go off now - to do my Sweet Potato Bacon Bites ![/QUOTE]

Alright - also need this refresher from my last Country Pate or Pate de Campagne from Food Wishes in Jan
[URL="http://foodwishes.blogspot.sg/search?q=Country+Pate"]http://foodwishes.blogspot.sg/search?q=Country+Pate[/URL]

[YOUTUBE]mEoHfOlIvC8[/YOUTUBE]
[B]
Ingredients for one Pâté de Campagne (16 portions):[/B]

1 1/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (aka &#147;pork butt&#148;), cut into one-inch cubes
6 ounces duck leg meat (meat removed from 2 or 3 legs)
[B]4 ounces fatty bacon, chopped[/B]
4 ounces chicken livers, roughly chopped
[B]1 small yellow onion, diced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
4 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
25 grams kosher salt (about 5 teaspoons)
1/8 teaspoon &#147;instacure&#148; pink curing salt
3/4 teaspoon *pate spice mix
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper[/B]
1/4 cup cognac or brandy
[B]1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dried cherries, optional
1/2 cup pistachios, optional
8-10 sliced of bacon, or a few sheets of caul fat to line the **mold
[/B]
[B]* For the Pâté Spice[/B]:
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

** My bread pan was a little smaller than standard, but [B]a regular 9 x 5 inch loaf pan[/B] should work perfectly here.

-- Cook in water bath at 350 F. until internal temp of 155 F.

I realize I shouldn't bake this FULLY in a Loaf Pan tho' I could do the Initial Set-Up & Baking in it to hold its shape etc - maybe need to bake it exposed as in the above Meat Loaf recipe at least towards the last 30 mins or so - so that the Bacon could also brown n crisp up too ??

Maybe I could use one of those shallower baking pans too ??

[B]Ahhh FINALLY Found the bacon-wrapped meatloaf recipe[/B]

[IMG]https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c3/79/eb/c379eb43e7b7ee5b4f030b661698921b.jpg

http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/bacon-wrapped-meatloaf/22733fe5-8031-4f08-b344-a31dca4ed800/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=bacon&utm_content=bacon&crlt.pid=camp.iHpvQGoiv1Nk

Ingredients
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 large eggs
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
10-12 strips bacon
***Optional :
4 hard-boiled eggs
½ cup frozen green peas / Nuts & Dried cranberry-apricot
4 cheese slices

Ketchup glaze:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon paprika

Steps
1 Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with slightly overlapping pieces of bacon.
2 In a medium-sized bowl, mash together beef, onions, bell pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, oats, salt and pepper.
1d88e05f-c8bf-42c7-8e2b-ae7e74b5d397.jpg

3 Spread 2 tablespoons of glaze over the bacon in the loaf pan (bottom)
4 Then press the meatloaf mixture into the pan.
*** + Central Eggs + Nuts +Dried Fruit
meat-roll1.jpg

5 Fold any overhanging bacon over the top of the loaf pan. Flip the loaf pan onto a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Carefully wrap the ends of the meatloaf with bacon as well, tucking the strips into the other pieces of bacon so it&#146;s tight.
6 Bake meatloaf at 350º F for 50 minutes. Remove meatloaf, brush with ketchup glaze and return to oven for another 15-20 minutes.

[***Maybe should ALSO glaze Before 1st Round Baking too as in that recipe without bacon wrapping to prevent bacon from getting too burnt ???]
Finished meatloaf should have crispy bacon edges and reach an internal temperature of 165º F in the center of the meatloaf.
7 Let meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
d167ac23-861c-40e5-8974-4879fad1b1cc.jpg

*** With the extra surprise
meat-roll61.jpg

Tabitha22215 hours ago
GMI Default
I have wrapped bacon around my meatloaf before and it is awesome! If you like bacon on a burger you will like this. You just have to be careful not to add a lot of salt to the meat because bacon is salty. I added a teaspoon of liquid smoke and a teaspoon of smoked paprika to my meat mix. The smoke flavoring really brings out the bacon in this recipe. I will make this again

This Insane Bacon Sushi Is Every Carnivore's Dream

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/wait-meat-sushi-is-just-mini-meatloaf?utm_term=.bkwNR8ZR7#.klK8DOZDR
4bdc5b33ee4b526e6eb7f3e4237643db.jpg

It starts with a sushi mat.
Then strips of bacon.
Next, some ground beef seasoned with salt and pepper or whatever seasoning mix.
That gets spread out on the bacon.
A cheese log is added.
Then the whole thing gets rolled up.
Then grilled over indirect heat.
And THEN GUESS WHAT.
The meat sushi gets glazed with BBQ sauce!!!
TWICE.
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL.
One BBQ Bacon Sushi gets covered with crunchy tortilla chips.
And the other with FRIED ONIONS!
Then the logs are sliced.
And served alongside more BBQ sauce and pickled jalapenos, duh.

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now resting freshly showered another 10 mins before I baste the Bacon Meat Loaf with Ketchup Glaze .... then more baking before it is finally done n can be eaten tomorrow !

Prepping n lining a Loaf Tin with the bacon - bottom basted with Ketchup Glaze
zLx3U4Rl.jpg

Fixing up the Meat Loaf - around 1 lb thawed frozen ground beef + organic rolled oats (finally opened ceremony on this) + diced onion + Worcestershire sauce + 1 egg (very last egg !) + pink Himalayan salt n black pepper
1BeLeynl.jpg

Nuts (sunflower pumpkin pistachio) + Dried Fruit (cranberry apricot) added to mix
N0pMVQhl.jpg

Meat Loaf layer then grated Mozzarella cheese n 4 hardboiled eggs then more Meat Loaf filling
9y2cKC9l.jpg

Overturned flipped Meat Loaf laid on baking pan - at 175C for 50 mins
mJMQLPgl.jpg

pfKbZ2Ol.jpg

oKXXnagl.jpg

dFfx435l.jpg

The Pate de Campagne or Country Pate I made in Jan was a "cold meat loaf" baked in the loaf tin itself using a water bath n the bacon remained a smooth pink exterior - this time it is an "exposed meat loaf" eaten warm with crispy bacon exterior ... meat juices already running out - 50 mins timer just sounded
Got to baste the top exterior with the remaining Ketchup Glaze n continue baking for another 15-20 mins until internal temp is 165F or 90C ...

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nuts I should hv spent those mins in the kitchen instead of doing that last post
Again I got another over-burnt bacon top ....oh well just got to remove that portion when eating the sliced meat loaf then !!!!
uHyyf0al.jpg

F2MhwKhl.jpg

After the 50 min mark - should hv checked at 35-40 mins ... how come I wasn't kiasu with my cooking huh ?
After basting with the remaining Ketchup Glaze n some solid fats from the meat juices ....
SZ3DVfHl.jpg

2nd round of baking for 15-20 mins till internal temp reaches 165F or 83C
Vkm2AWHl.jpg

zlgzXcpl.jpg

fL1LgHEl.jpg

vYR3phQl.jpg

Done - meat loaf removed n cooling on rack on dining table - to put into fridge before going to bed ....

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Took a slice to try out - not too bad as quite nice flavours - but what happened to all that mozzarella cheese - no sign of any at all .... ????
X3FSofol.jpg

ZJPr2w4l.jpg

Only right at the bottom, the bacon retained the pinkish hues ...
Actually more of a caramelized bacon top n some portions could still be eaten n the Ketchup Glaze flavours there are rather nice with the tomato ketchup paprika n brown sugar - but I know mom would not touch that dark bacon there as she said definitely carcinogenic !

The gamey beef flavour quite played down too with all the extra stuff there hmmm now I learn to use Worcestershire sauce lately (bottle virtually untouched)- think the organic rolled oats are a much neater n easier/low carb ingredient to use here rather than the usual bread or Panko bread crumbs etc .... found the flavours here not too bad at all ... was thinking might need to hv a dab of Dijon mustard or the Tomato Relish or the Ploughman's Pickle capers olives etc to accompany it
- not a must but should just enhance flavours as find it rather palatable just as it is - neat ! But if serving up for a meal looks so much better dressed up with some colourful salad greens n cherry tomatoes capers etc or mustard etc ...
Je7YR8Ql.jpg

KKACjqFl.jpg

My 2nd slice
bgIqoi2l.jpg

XlE5VHzl.jpg

Now kept away in fridge for tomorrow's meal(s)....

Sent from Asus ASUS_Z011D using GAGT

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow.. Eh.. HealthY meh?

Well once in a while - hmm now it's eight months from Jan when I made that "complicating" Country Pate - must have some variety lor ....even in the "Healthy Category" so as not to be too boring & stuck in some rut bah hahaha

The most Unhealthy Crap ingredient would be the Brown Sugar in the Tomato Glaze then the processed Tomato Ketchup bah .... the rest of the ingredients are more or less OK bah

Going LOW CARB is just that - LOW Carb and not NO Carb :D
AND occasionally my LIBERAL Low Carb can increase the carb amounts from the average maybe 100g carbs to closer 250-300g carbs on Very Liberal Low Carb according to some LC Classifications ?

My LC Philosophy is SIMPLE
Just cut CRAP as much as possible - go for REAL Food etc
But occasionally still can hv some CHEAT Meals to make life interesting & fun
Or can treat such as Carb Cycling too [to 'trick' the body ....]

THIS overall-considered is still not as bad as those truly unhealthy stuff
like Fast Food CRAPPY Bad Carbs etc ....

BTW - you've said you like CABBAGE
You should like the tangy SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE - really yummy !!!!

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thursday OMAD dinner
- Green Veg Soup (using some of my thawed chicken fillets for the flavour only)
- balance 1 of the 2 Assam Fish with okra meant for my lunch (didn't take lunch as not feeling hungry - the other fish went to mom)
- the Bacon Meat Loaf - served with Sweet Pickled Beet, Tomato Relish n some Kewpie Mayo (left untouched the Dijon Mustard) + last cherry tomatoes
- Hibiscus Tea
MVTrfGfl.jpg

v5euLkfl.jpg

w6i2a7jl.jpg

4XSeFkkl.jpg

Mom's serving of the Meat Loaf - also no rice for her tonight (I had already removed the burnt bacon tops for her on the top left of plate)
jtbruOWl.jpg

Only left this end piece as leftover - discovered that the missing mozzarella cheese had all oozed out into the juice as when I mixed this juice with the meat loaf there was that characteristic salty cheese flavours !
k0T6Aqsl.jpg

Very flavour-some dinner with lots of meat n egg proteins n some great side condiments ....as usual mom finds these flavours "strange" to her palate but happy that she only needed to cook the soup tonight !

Now I 've got to figure up ways to use up the remaining thawed ground beef chicken fillets n bacon in the fridge ..
Maybe a simple chili con carne with some veggies or bacon wrapped burgers n chicken etc ....problem is it is extremely difficult to get mom to remember to buy the requested items from the wet market n I don't wake up early enough for that ....sighzzzz

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tᕮᗪ ⚡️ ᑎᗩIᗰᗩᑎ‏ @tednaiman 13h13 hours ago
More Tᕮᗪ ⚡️ ᑎᗩIᗰᗩᑎ Retweeted Robert Lustig MD
Good point.

Robert Lustig MD‏
@RobertLustigMD

Want to be #happy? Learn to #cook.

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-advice/difference-between-pleasure-happiness/slide/5/

DKxESGSUMAEvVB1.jpg

Holistic Milka 🍓‏ @holistic_milka 4h4 hours ago
More
Replying to @RobertLustigMD
You just have to do it & don't be afraid of messing up. Have fun w/it! You feel a great sense of accomplishment too 👍

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/tednaiman/status/913268084823097344

Tᕮᗪ ⚡️ ᑎᗩIᗰᗩᑎ‏
@tednaiman
Following
More Tᕮᗪ ⚡️ ᑎᗩIᗰᗩᑎ Retweeted Amy Berger
ALS, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimers are really just 3 different phenotypic expressions of the same chronic neurodegenerative disease. 😞

Amy Berger‏ @TuitNutrition 12h12 hours ago
More
Replying to @tednaiman
🤔 Totally fascinating. You would think someone would have already made the connection (especially to IR), but damn, for Alz, it was 1/

More
everywhere as soon as I went *looking* for it. ALL OVER the literature, but nobody was talking about it. CRAZY if same for the others. 2/2

AstroLass‏ @astro_lass 12h12 hours ago
More
Alz often called T3 diabetes

More
Yeah, I wrote a book about that! ;-)

More
Just never occurred to me the same could be true for Parkinson's, MS, ALS, etc.

Tᕮᗪ ⚡️ ᑎᗩIᗰᗩᑎ‏ @tednaiman 12h12 hours ago
More
Yeah actually we have known that these 3 diseases were the same thing for over 20 years, just not common knowledge 😞

http://www.bmj.com/content/312/7033/724
Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and motor neurone disease

More
I kind of figured they weer different manifestations of the same underlying problem; just didn't know insulin was implicated in all. YIKES.

More
Other factors too, but holy moly.

New conversation
Bob Johnston‏ @Lunatic__Fringe 13h13 hours ago
More
Replying to @tednaiman
I believe it to be true but what is it that makes insulin resistance/high insulin a disease state? What is the mechanism?

Tᕮᗪ ⚡️ ᑎᗩIᗰᗩᑎ‏ @tednaiman 13h13 hours ago
More
Chronic hyperinsulinemia → mitochondrial dysfunction → diabetes, Alzheimers, and a ton of other chronic diseases 😞

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/61/5/991
Mitochondria, Diabetes, and Alzheimer’s Disease

Dr Steven Horvitz‏ @IMWHorvitz 5h5 hours ago
More
It seems that many chronic diseases stem from an imbalance of insulin, and made worse by overfeeding as well as Govt dietary recommendations

End of conversation
Ketogenic Endurance‏ @ketoendurance 7h7 hours ago
More
Replying to @tednaiman
Frightening stuff 😤

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know what I can do - just fry up the chicken fillets as Honey Mustard or Rosemary Chicken ....
then use them in various salads with bacon & salad greens tomatoes etc ...

94fbdd3f9e966dc071e93a61dda65fce.jpg

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2016/07/rosemary-chicken-bacon-and-avocado-salad/?m

Rosemary Chicken, Bacon and Avocado Salad. (Video!)

You are looking at one major flavor bomb.

ROSEMARY CHICKEN, BACON AND AVOCADO SALAD
yield: SERVES 2 total time: 35 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS:
4+ slices thick-cut bacon
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
6 cups spring greens and/or butter lettuce
1 bunch watercress
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large avocado, thinly sliced

rosemary vinaigrette :
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the bacon. Cook until it’s crispy and the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon and place it on a paper towel to drain any excess grease.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cover with the rosemary. In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until golden and crisp on both sides, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and let sit for a moment while you assemble the salad, then slice it.
3. Toss the greens with the watercress and the tomatoes. Top with the sliced chicken, the bacon and the avocado. Drizzle with the rosemary vinaigrette!

rosemary vinaigrette
Whisk together the mustard, oil and vinegar. Whisk in the rosemary and a pinch of salt and pepper.

Honey-Mustard-Chicken-Bacon-Avocado-Salad-25.jpg

https://cafedelites.com/honey-mustard-chicken-avocado-bacon-salad/

Honey Mustard Chicken Bacon + Avocado Salad

Honey Mustard Chicken, Avocado + Bacon Salad, with a crazy good
5 ingredient Honey Mustard dressing withOUT mayonnaise or yogurt!
ORIGINAL RECIPE BY KARINA, CAFEDELITES ©
Servings: 4
Author: Karina - Cafe Delites

Play Video

Refreshing, sweet and savoury all at the same time?! I love it and I know for a fact that you would too! Honey Mustard Chicken, Avocado + Bacon Salad… Such amazing combinations in a bowl!

PLUS. A hint of garlic. Crispy bacon…. Creamy avocado slices…. Tomatoes…. Slices of red onion. This is THE ultimate in salads. Because BACON and CHICKEN and AVOCADO in the SAME SENTENCE as HONEY MUSTARD. YES.

And this dressing? THIS DRESSING. So creamy and sweet and tangy. So bad I made it again and again and again and again. I couldn’t believe something so simple could lead to something so sinful — yet, not. In my truest form, I didn’t want to taint the marinade with a different tasting dressing, so I left it and may the mustard gods help me.

Honey-Mustard-Chicken-Salad-Collage.jpg

Honey-Mustard-Chicken-Bacon-Avocado-Salad-3.jpg

Then….in less than 15 minutes, I was greeted with caramelised, tender honey mustard chicken thighs. In those 15 minutes, I washed and prepped the salad, taking my sweet ass time, while smelling these incredible smells coming out of my kitchen, impatiently hopping from one foot to the other, watching this chicken sizzle and the sauce it was smothered in bubbling around it and thickening into a beautiful syrup.

Ingredients
Dressing / Marinade:
1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons smooth and mild Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt to season
4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts

For Salad:
1/4 cup diced bacon , trimmed of rind and fat
4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves , washed
1 cup sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
1 large avocado , pitted and sliced
1/4 cup corn kernels
1/4 of a red onion , sliced

Instructions
1. Whisk marinade / dressing ingredients together to combine. Pour half the marinade into a shallow dish to marinade the chicken fillets for two hours if time allows. Refrigerate the reserved untouched marinade to use as a dressing.
2. Heat a nonstick pan (or grill pan or skillet) over medium heat with about a teaspoon of oil and sear / grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. (Grill in batches to prevent excess water being released.) Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
3. Wipe pan over with paper towel; drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and fry the bacon until crispy.
4. Slice chicken into strips and prepare salad with leaves, tomatoes, avocado slices, corn, onion strips and chicken.
5. Whisk 2 tablespoons of water into the remaining untouched marinade / dressing and drizzle over the salad. Sprinkle the bacon over the top and season with a little extra salt and cracked pepper (optional).

Ana says
August 25, 2017 at 8:07 AM
Oh my god I just made this salad with your lemon herb Mediterranean salad dressing! Only because my hubby isn’t a fan of honey mustard, and he doesn’t like feta or olives. You probably have already tried it,but if not YOU NEED TO DO IT! Incredible I was blown away!

abb70fa7bbbba592df3ccd001fe2a90d.jpg

https://recipesforourdailybread.com/pasta-salad-chicken-bacon-ranch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+RecipesForOurDailyBread+(Recipes+For+Our+Daily+Bread)

PASTA SALAD CHICKEN BACON RANCH

Author: Diane @Recipes for our Daily Bread
Recipe type: Pasta Cuisine: American
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 40 mins

Ingredients
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad:
12-ounce pack Spiral pasta ( I used Wacky Pack Spiral Pack)
3 chicken breast, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 chopped tomato, or a handful of cherry tomatoes chopped in half
6 pieces bacon, cooked hard and crumbled
1 zucchini shredded
1-1/2 cups Ranch dressing

COPYCAT RANCH DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
1 pack Ranch Dressing (the original recipe called for 1 teaspoon dry Ranch dressing Buttermilk Recipe)
1 cup Mayonnaise
½ cup buttermilk
¼ teaspoon black pepper
⅛ teaspoon paprika
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
Here’s what you do:
COPYCAT OUTBACK RANCH DRESSING:
Mix together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Ranch dressing pack, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
Refrigerate
Makes 1-1/2 cups and I used it all in this pasta salad.
pieces of bacon cooked hard and crumbled.
Mix well and serve or refrigerate.

Instructions
CHICKEN BACON RANCH PASTA:
Cook the bacon, hard and crumbled when cooled.
Season chicken with salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes in the oven 350 degrees.
Cut the chicken breast up into bite sizes,
Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
In a large bowl, combine the chopped chicken, cooked and drained pasta, ranch dressing, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, zucchini, and 6 pieces bacon.

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the remaining ground beef

b909bd318e4d89013a9123ef67ae0f9d.jpg

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/ground-beef-stroganoff-hamburger/

Watch the video

GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF

This easy Ground Beef Stroganoff features lean hamburger and tender mushrooms cooked in a rich silky sauce. It’s quick and delicious, making it the perfect weeknight meal!

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion , diced
1 clove garlic , minced
3/4 lb fresh mushrooms , sliced
3 tablespoons flour {rolled oats ??}
2 cups beef broth
salt & pepper to taste
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup sour cream [Greek Yoghurt]
2 tablespoons fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
1. Brown ground beef, onion and garlic (trying not to break it up too much) in a pan until no pink remains. Drain fat.
2. Add sliced mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 more minute.
3, Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low 10 minutes. Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
4. Remove beef mixture from the heat, stir in sour cream and parsley.
5. Serve over egg noodles.

6c57d3bf4eb23f6e38cf1ba732f43d48.jpg

https://therecipecritic.com/2017/04/korean-ground-beef-rice-bowls/

Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 15 mins
Total time 20 mins

Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls are so incredibly easy to make and will become a family favorite! This makes the perfect weeknight meal.
Author: Alyssa
Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce [W sauce too ?]
2 teaspoons sesame oil
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups hot cooked white or brown rice
sliced green onions and sesame seeds for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a large skillet cook the ground beef and garlic breaking it into crumbles over medium heat until no longer pink.
2. In a small bowl whisk brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes and pepper. Pour over the ground beef and let simmer for another minute or two.
3. Serve over hot rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.

4ce58f34becbcfe60e211f12089be253.jpg

https://forgetfulmomma.com/2017/03/21/asian-ground-beef/

Asian Ground Beef

Ingredients
1lb lean ground beef
3 cups bell peppers, chopped (we used green)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 cup beef stock
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Maple syrup
1 teaspoon Frank's Red Hot
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1⁄4 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Instructions
1. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray.
2. Over over medium heat, cook and stir the ground beef until evenly browned.
3. Drain and set aside.
4. Add the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger.
5. Season with parsley, red pepper, and salt.
6. Cook and stir until tender.
7. Return the beef to the skillet.
8. In a small bowl, mix together the beef stock, soy sauce, maple syrup, Franks Red Hot Sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
9. Cook until heated through and sauce comes to a boil.
10. Combine water and cornstarch and add to skillet.
11. Stir constantly until sauce is thickened.
12. Serve over the cooked rice.

b310e74eaf5aca4295aa5b45d9950517.jpg

https://allshecooks.com/best-chili-mac-worldwide/

BEEF & MACARONI CHILI

easy weeknight dinner recipe

INGREDIENTS
1 cup macaroni, uncooked
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
1 can tomato soup
1 ounce Mozzarella cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
Cook macaroni about 7 minutes. Brown meat in largest saucepan and drain off all fat. Add garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook on low about 5 minutes. Add cooked macaroni and tomato soup. Heat thoroughly. Just before serving add grated cheese. Cover and heat until cheese melts.

f318367e54e7c59ab56bc52f6bfd08db.jpg

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/08/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/?utm_content=buffer090ab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=budgetbytesbuffer

BEEF AND CABBAGE STIR FRY

This fast and easy Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry is a filling low carb dinner with big flavor and endless possibilities for customization.

Total Cost $7.14 recipe / $1.79 serving
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 (1.5 cups each)
Author Adapted from Tasteaholics

INGREDIENTS
STIR FRY SAUCE
2 Tbsp soy sauce $0.18
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil $0.33
1 Tbsp sriracha* $0.05
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02

STIR FRY
1/2 head green cabbage $1.78
2 carrots $0.22
3 green onions $0.17
1/2 Tbsp neutral cooking oil $0.02
1/2 lb. lean ground beef $3.90
2 cloves garlic $0.16
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger $0.13
Pinch of salt and pepper $0.05

GARNISHES (OPTIONAL)
1 Tbsp sesame seeds $0.08
1 Tbsp sriracha $0.05

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Prepare the stir fry sauce first. In a small bowl stir together the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sriracha, and brown sugar. Set the sauce aside.
2. Shred the vegetables so they are ready to go when you need them. Cut one small cabbage in half, remove the core, and then finely shred the leaves of one half the cabbage (4-6 cups once shredded, save the other half for another recipe). Peel two carrots, then use a cheese grater to shred them (1 cup shredded). Slice three green onions. Mince two cloves of garlic. Peel a knob of ginger using either a vegetable peeler or by scraping with the side of a spoon, then grate it using a small-holed cheese grater.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the cooking oil, ground beef, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the beef until browned (about five minutes).
4. Add the cabbage and carrots to the skillet and continue to stir and cook until the cabbage is slightly wilted (or fully wilted, if you prefer). Stir in the prepared sauce and the green onions. Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a drizzle of sriracha, then serve.

RECIPE NOTES
* 1 Tbsp sriracha makes a medium-spicy stir fry. If you don't like spicy, I'd start with 1 tsp. The sriracha adds flavor as well as heat, so I don't suggest skipping it all together.

0ca5505deb86b41deddd7c5c7b7028c5.jpg

https://myheartbeets.com/ground-beef-and-sweet-potato-curry/

Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Dry Curry

Ingredients
3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
1 large (or 2 medium) sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch ginger, minced
3 tablespoons coriander powder
2 teaspoons homemade meat masala (click to see the recipe!)
2 teaspoons Kashmiri chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 pound ground beef
Cilantro, garnish (optional)

Instructions
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in sauté pan, then add chopped sweet potatoes and fry for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside for now.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan and stir-fry the onion for 3-4 minutes, or until soft.
3. Add the garlic, ginger and spices, stir-fry for a minute, then add the tomatoes. Mix well then add the ground beef.
4. Cook until the tomatoes dissolve into the curry and the beef is cooked through.
5. Raise the heat to high and add the sweet potatoes back to the pan.
6. Stir fry until the beef mixture is mostly dry, about 3-5 minutes
7. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Serve.

85dae43c370af8d1852ca86710af1c83.jpg

https://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/ground-beef-enchilada-zucchini-boats/

Ground Beef Enchilada Zucchini Boats

Author: Krista
Nutrition Information
Serves: 4-6
Serving size: 1½ boats
Calories: 222
Fat: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Sugar: 6 g
Sodium: 491 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 21 g
Cholesterol: 58 mg
Recipe type: Gluten Free, Beef, Low Calorie, Kid Friendly
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 40 mins

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup diced red onion
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt to taste
3 large zucchinis, sliced in half lengthwise and scooped out to create a "boat"
1½ cups of old el paso red enchilada sauce
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
optional toppings:
diced tomatoes
diced green onions
diced avocado

Instructions
1. Heat a medium large skillet to medium high heat.
2. Add olive oil and onions to the pan. Saute until translucent or soft, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in the ground beef. Cook until there is no more pink in the meat, breaking up meat into small pieces along the way.
5, Add in minced garlic, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and then salt to taste. Stir until combined.
6. In a 13x9 inch baking dish, add zucchini boats flesh side facing up. Scoop the ground beef mixture into the "boat" part of the zucchini.
7. Pour the red enchilada sauce over the filled zucchini boats.
8. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
9. Cover the baking dish with tin foil. Bake for 20 minutes at 350.
10. Remove the tin foil from the pan. Bake for another 5 minutes uncovered.
11. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve.
12. Add additional toppings for more deliciousness!

da4666f78b361968131f2190c72dcf0c.jpg

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After my body massage at Spa Rael today I went to NTUC for a very modest grocery haul
Mainly to get the necessary stuff for the items I plan to be doing in the coming days .....

The NZ avocados ($5.45 for 3) are very green still .... hope the one I left outside will ripen overnight for the chicken salad item ....

I told mom I will be doing Beef Stroganoff for our Sat lunch - using up half the remaining ground beef there (n the other half in another beef item probably an Asian Teriyaki or Korean Beef Rice Bowl etc Taco Lettuce Wraps ...???)

I already have the chicken breast fillets marinating in the fridge before lunch this morning - in the Honey Mustard Marinade cum Dressing (luckily I hv some mustard seeds bought together with the fennel seeds some time back - came in handy as I don't hv any Grainy Mustard only 2 bottles of Dijon Mustard...) + also the Salt/Pepper/Rosemary marinade. Once cooked will slice these up for using in salads or ...
1Byobtfl.jpg

TtuG2czl.jpg

The arugula n romaine lettuce for the chicken etc salad + tangho for soup + 3 bell peppers + purple cabbage wedge + 2 packs each of tomatoes n mushrooms + small tub Greek Yoghurt (for the Beef Stroganoff) + avocados
2FrMUNpl.jpg

cJiuYNwl.jpg

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Friday Meals

My rushed porridge lunch - early spa appointment...
- shared pomfret fish
- salted egg
- sambal long bean prawn
gniUla9l.jpg

Had 2 late tea items after returning home with the groceries - half a glutinous nyonya item n a char siew bao
No pic here

LCHF Dinner
- tausi pork belly
- green veg
rAG6Tmdl.jpg

Shared guava fruit
7hze6x3l.jpg

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some chia seed or rolled oats recipes for fun

b2be2a36d5883b99cbd71dcfb22ae450.jpg

Strawberry-Enegy-Balls-from-Bren-Did-5.jpg

https://brendid.com/strawberry-crispy-energy-balls-for-kids/

Strawberry Crispy Energy Balls
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 5 mins
Total Time 10 mins

Strawberry crispy energy balls have a crunchy kid pleasing texture. The snack is low in sugar and calories but high in iron, fiber and protein. Try this easy, no bake recipe today.

Course: Snack
Servings: 32 energy balls
Calories: 93 kcal

Ingredients
1½ cups whole rolled oats (chopped lightly in food processor)
1½ cups crispy rice cereal
½ cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup flax seed (ground)
½ cup natural peanut butter
¼ cup virgin coconut oil
¼ cup honey
1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries [or sub with dried fruit eg cranberry apricot etc]

Instructions
1. Stir together peanut butter, coconut oil and honey in a small mixing bowl until smooth
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Pour peanut butter mixture over dry ingredients and mix until evenly combined.
4. Chill mixture for 20 minutes to several hours. Press 2 tablespoons of mixture together into small balls and store in a covered glass container.
(You can also press the mix into a greased 9" X 13" pan, chill, and cut into 4 rows of 8 squares.)
5. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

2bac28bb55940d4bb0fe6b684ff30bfe.jpg

https://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2015/04/07/strawberry-lemon-chia-seed-protein-muffins/

Strawberry Lemon Chia Seed Protein Muffins

Yields: 9 muffins
These muffins are bursting with bright sunshiny flavor and sweet berries! They’re ideal for quick grab-and-go breakfasts or snacks. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days, and reheat individual muffins in the microwave for 13-16 seconds.

½ c + 2 tbsp (56g) coconut flour (measured correctly)
1 tsp xanthan gum
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp (13g) chia seeds
1 tbsp (5g) lemon zest (about one medium)
1 tbsp (14g) coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ c (60g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
¼ c (60mL) agave
3 tbsp (45mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about one medium-large)
½ c (120mL) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 scoops (84g) Jamie Eason's Lean Body for Her vanilla whey protein powder
1 c (140g) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed slightly and diced

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat 9 standard-sized muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chia seeds, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil or butter, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the Greek yogurt until no large lumps remain. Stir in the agave, lemon juice, and almond milk. Mix in the protein powder. Add in the coconut flour mixture, stirring until fully incorporated. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes. Gently fold in the diced strawberries
3. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350°F for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire rack.
Notes: Any milk (cow, soy, cashew, etc.) may be used in place of the almond milk.

I have only tried this recipe with this protein powder. Not all protein powders absorb liquids equally. If the batter seems too dry after letting it rest, add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time. If the batter seems too wet, add additional coconut flour 1 teaspoon at a time.

These muffins freeze really nicely. To thaw quickly, place individual muffins in the microwave for 40-50 seconds on 40% power.

For more tips and answers to all other questions, including substitutions, see my Protein Powder Recipes: Tips & FAQ page.

{gluten-free, clean eating, low fat, low calorie, low carb, high protein}

Used poppy seeds instead of chia and sour cream instead of yogurt. 1/2 the amt of whey Protein, erythritol instead of agave and added almond milk as needed. Came out great.

628edc86b57366d69728ec493bcc3732.jpg

https://greatist.com/eat/chia-seed-pudding-recipes

27673428cf41daf77a20cc8894e6393c.jpg

http://noshon.it/blog/2013/08/10-must-make-recipes-using-chia-seeds/#_a5y_p=2271304

4. Cornmeal and Chia Seed Crusted Tilapia

Next time you make fish for dinner, try introducing some chia seeds to create a crispy and healthy coating before pan-frying with lemon and olive oil. Mixed with corn meal, chia seeds give this tilapia a perfect crunch. (Recipe and photo from Savoring the Thyme)
2013-08-28-b-04-cornmeal-chia-seed-tilapia.jpg

Just add some chia seeds in
eca8723e2b20277a0691f0a4634d5978.jpg

Just add some chia seeds in
healthy-extra-chewy-no-bake-granola-bars.jpg

https://thebigmansworld.com/2013/09/05/chewy-no-bake-granola-bars/

Chewy No Bake Granola Bars

Serves 6

A delicious, chewy no bake granola bar which is chock full of nuts, dried fruit, oats and very low in sugar- Vegan, gluten free and better than store bought!

Dry Ingredients
120 grams (1 1/2 cups) gluten free rolled oats
1 cup of raisins
1 cup roasted almonds, chopped roughly
2 medjool dates, chopped roughly
2 T dried berries of choice
1/4 cup sesame seeds [+ some chia seeds ?]
Dash of sea salt
1/2 T cinnamon

Wet ingredients
2/3 cup brown rice syrup*
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (can substitute for any light flavoured oil)
1 tablespoon coconut butter

Instructions
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix up the rolled oats, raisins, almonds, dates and dried berries. Add in the sesame seeds, sea salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a microwave proof bowl, mix the brown rice syrup and coconut oil until well combined. Drop the coconut oil in it and break apart as much as possible.
Heat in the microwave until melted (time depending on your microwave- for me it was 1.5 minutes)
3. Remove from microwave and pour the liquid over the dry mixture and ensure it is very well combined
4. Grease a cake tin/baking tray or line with parchment paper. Press the mixture into it and refrigerate immediately. Allow granola bars to set before cutting bars into 6 pieces.

Notes
These bars are easy to adapt to your preferences. Don't have almonds? Sub in some other nut. Hate coconut butter? Go slap yourself silly Sub in almond, peanut or another nut/seed butter. Change up the dried fruit or add something else in. Next time I make this, you can bet some chocolate chunks will be added in!
* These bars may be difficult to firm up at times- Try increasing the sticky syrup and/or coconut oil.
By Arman @ thebigmansworld

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....in my planned Honey Mustard Chicken Avocado Salad - think can just throw in a grapefruit [after all need to use up the 2 remaining 50% off grapefruit stored for quite a while already [n a mango etc if mom remembers to get it for me] + a bunch of healthy chia seeds too !

Healthy-Avocado-Fruit-Salad-Vertical1.jpg

http://ifoodreal.com/avocado-fruit-salad/

Avocado Fruit Salad

Ingredients
1 grapefruit
1 pear
1 orange
1 avocado
1 mango
10 strawberries
1/2 lemon, juice squeezed
1/4 cup 0% Greek yogurt
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup chia seeds

Directions
1. Wash, peel+core+remove seeds (if necessary) and cut into desired size pieces fruits. Add to a bowl.
2. To make the dressing, in a separate bowl whisk together Greek yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla extract and chia seeds. Pour over the fruits and mix just enough to combine. Serve chilled.
3. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Stir gently before serving to lift the juices from the bottom of the bowl.

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1-1.5 cup:
Calories: 159.4

Sweet & Spicy Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders - one of the best things we ate last week. Only 4 simple ingredients - chicken, bacon, brown sugar and chili powder. They only take about 5 minutes to make and are ready to eat in under 30 minutes. Sweet and salty in one bite!

This below is a great idea - using chia seeds to crust up fish [instead of the usual parmesan cheese] (rolled oats in lieu of panko ? Cornmeal - can use up some of my stock then ....) - I prefer to pan fry than bake ......

http://www.savoringthethyme.com/2012/10/cornmeal-chia-seed-crusted-tilapia/

cornmeal_chia_seed_-tilapia_2.jpg

Cornmeal & Chia Seed Crusted Tilapia

Ingredients:
4 boneless tilapia fillets (1 pound total), patted dry
A few dashes of Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1.5 Tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon chia seeds*

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
olive oil cooking spray

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. On a plate, toss together the cornmeal, chia seeds, garlic powder, and a dash each of salt and pepper.
3. Place a cooking rack onto a baking sheet, spray lightly with olive oil/non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
4. Sprinkle some salt and pepper onto each piece of fish, followed by a smear some of the mayonnaise and then invert the fish into the cornmeal mixture. Press firmly and then flip the fish over and place onto the cooking rack.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.

*Do not add more chia seeds or else you end up with an overly crunchy fish instead of one with a nice texture.

This recipe was created after being inspired by this cornmeal crusted trout recipe. I wanted to skip the frying and use a fish that I know already has the thumbs up from the family: Tilapia

Here is my husband&#146;s own special addition:

cornmeal_chia_seed_-tilapia_3.jpg

Don't hv Frank's Hot Sauce - can use some Sriracha or other Chili Sauce + add paprika red chilli flakes cayenne pepper ....
Oooops I forgot all about those largely not used 2 bottles of Hot Amazon Pepper Sauce .....

raspberry-coconut-chia-pudding-pops-550x367.jpg

http://www.skinnytaste.com/raspberry-coconut-chia-pudding-pops/

Raspberry Coconut Chia Pudding Pops
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4 &#149; Size: 1 popsicle &#149; Points +: 2 pts &#149; Smart Points: 2
Calories: 74 &#149; Fat: 5 g &#149; Carb: 6.8 g &#149; Fiber: 4.6 g &#149; Protein: 1.8 g &#149; Sugar: 0.6 g
Sodium: 27 mg

Ingredients:
&#149; 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
&#149; 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
&#149; 3/4 cup raspberries [subbed from mango]
&#149; 2 tbsp chia seeds
&#149; 1 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
&#149; 8 drops Nu-Naturals liquid stevia (or sugar/honey to taste)

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large [boxy plastic] container. Mix well and close container; refrigerate 4 hours so the chia expands.
making-chia-pudding-pops-550x404.jpg

2. Pour into 4 popsicle molds and freeze overnight.
Makes 4 popsicles.

MUST remind myself to buy a popsicle mold from Daiso (Need to restock that white gratin bowl that mom broke) so can start playing with making popsicles soon ....

b72a3db910e853284f206070f908f696.jpg

3862b9be63adf5c48a703b3067dfcee7.jpg

ea09c2c0a4db3d4a0a251e9b8bc134b1.jpg

Last edited:

kaypohchee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think I'll be lazy & simply copy over the 1st post here - our Sat Beef Stroganoff (incidental "ang mor BCM Mee Pok") lunch
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/gagt-yummy-home-made-beef-stroganoff-bcm-5699336.html

Jiak too bah lah .....

I made sure I got up early to accompany mom to the wet market as she's bound to forget what I needed .....
Again had our Chee Cheong Fun TehC breakfast at the opp HC first

Very full n satisfying mom-approved Western BCM lunch here !!! I overdid on the Mee Pok there as always so afraid of mom saying "Hope I Don't Go Hungry Later etc " - still got half a pack of the Mee Pok left in the fridge - should be able to stay ok for a few days ?

Some of the ingredients laid out .... (refer to my Home Cooking thread for the precise Beef Stroganoff recipe about 2 pages back or so....)
Maybe 250 gram thawed frozen Ground or Minced Beef from Holland (U Market - qoo10 August Order) garlic cloves n shallots (decided not to use the freshly bought onions) yesterday's $2.60 NTUC sliced white mushrooms + fresh cilantro spring onion - in the end the shiitake was not used as the sliced pack was a lot
oybWkmbl.jpg

Braising the mushroom beef mix in chicken broth (made from 2/3 cube chicken stock stirred into hot water as don't hv beef stock) + Worcestershire sauce + salt/pepper
Later added some rolled oats n a bit of flour to thicken it up
7tq5i22l.jpg

Mee Pok blanched in boiling water for 45 seconds before being drained n passed under cold tap water (to retain Q-ness).

Then some Greek Yoghurt (subbing Sour Cream) mixed into the Beef mix to get that sourish tangy creamy texture before being poured over the cooked Mee Pok
= Beef Stroganoff or Western BCM !

Mom likes this - the beef wasn't too gamey too for her - yummy ground beef with mushroom = Beef Stroganoff very simple n fast to prepare here !!!!
zp6V2Ijl.jpg

NKS0QzMl.jpg

Zhoy2V0l.jpg

IS9vshel.jpg

Almost forgot the cilantro spring onion garnish
cnSU2Jgl.jpg

My Honey Mustard Chicken Fruit Salad will be served for dinner (most likely doing the Korean Beef Rice Bowl item with the last remaining ground beef) - as still in the midst of prepping it .... need to cook both the marinated chicken as well as the thawed balance expired bacon to add to the salad
Thank God the very green NTUC avocado that I left outside the fridge over night turned purplish n was found "soft" enough for eating - very nice internal colour too
The prepped salad now chilling in the fridge - waiting for the cooked meats n dressing to be added ...
With half each of the $4 mango bought this morning ( not mango season ?) + old turning dry discounted grapefruit + avocado ....
ToM6u49l.jpg

See balance half grapefruit + honey mustard dressing + the salad (+ pack of tomatoes)
the 2 styles chicken fillets marinating on shelf below too

The Beef Stroganoff BCM with the carby mee pok meant this wasn't low carb at all as the carbs were quite a mountain there n I didn't finish eating all of it up too...

So our yummy Beef Stroganoff lunch kym ?

This is really a VERY Simple Fast & Yummy dish to whip up - nice flavours BUT problem is - WHERE & HOW OFTEN do I buy the Frozen Ground Beef required for this .... hmmm just remembered there's a Halal Frozen Food Suppliers near that Teh Tarek & Bee Catering/Saffrons opp - wonder if THEIR Frozen Ground Beef is as cheap and 'no-gamey-beef-smell' as experienced with my 1st Ground Beef order from U-Market (meats from Holland)_ thru' qoo10 ?

I really stre-t-ch-ed this below $10 1kg pack of frozen ground beef in several items done from Aug till end-Sep !

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.