HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ketogenic diets are, however, a well-established way to help control Type 2 diabetes

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #166

The last blood work result, Potassium is 5.6 and Phosphate is 1.5. Currently on medication to curb the Phosphate, must swallow the med together with first mouth of food during lunch and dinner. For curbing potassium, just eat veg and fruits low in potassium will do.

Sent from HUAWEI CLT-L29 using GAGT
I find it rather stressful to manage advanced CKD while waiting for renal referral. Fluids, electrolytes, micronutrients, macronutrients, BP, sugars.... So many things to juggle in 1 consultation, not to mention the super long medications list

Still on linagliptin? How was your trial of TCM?
Lurkerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #167

I find it rather stressful to manage advanced CKD while waiting for renal referral. Fluids, electrolytes, micronutrients, macronutrients, BP, sugars....
I know one of the top local renal physician with a load of 70-80 patients a day, just like a polyclinic. Really a feat to juggle so many different variables in such a small amount of time.
binbinpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #168

This one is normal or got diabetes ?
I have T2DM for more than 25 years. Currently it is under control with Creatinine reading at 250 but the bad news is I am CKD Stage 4 (like Lurkerdoc mentioned, advanced stage of kidney desease).

rawtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #169

I find it rather stressful to manage advanced CKD while waiting for renal referral. Fluids, electrolytes, micronutrients, macronutrients, BP, sugars.... So many things to juggle in 1 consultation, not to mention the super long medications list

TCM is slow and foods intake plays a huge part, so after seeing presentation from a French woman traveling around the world promoting pure vegan diet and through her I went to see a documentary on vegan diet on damaged kidney function. Me and my wife started on this vegan journey, it may hold the key to stop further proteins leak.

Old 15-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #170

This is my blood glucose reading after I cut out animal proteins from my diet. The 7.4 reading was breakfast of 2 slices of white bread and a cup of teh o barely 1 hour ago.

looks really good imo

try some low gi bread for breakfast?
valyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #171

Put all your patients on Freestyle Libre. Can work with dietitians to get them to watch their diets.

I set my range between 4-8 on the Libre.

Last edited by rawtuna; 15-10-2018 at 10:21 AM..
Old 15-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #172

looks really good imo

try some low gi bread for breakfast?
I am. Thanks.

Old 15-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #173
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bro, I'm 50yo. A few years ago I drank soy milk everyday 1 cup for 2 years continuous, all joints in my hands hardened. My doctors and dietitians stopped me in time, took me almost 2 years to recover. So no soy milk in my diet.

Wow That serious! Sorry I gave a wrong suggestion.
gkhchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #174

Put all your patients on Freestyle Libre. Can work with dietitians to get them to watch their diets.

Haha I wish. Many of my type 2 patients no $$$ or motivation. If I can even get them to check fingerprick 2x/week already considered a big achievement. Plus $180+ for the starter kit in addition to medications cost is tough for the blue collar ones.

But for the type 1s, I definitely push a lot harder for them to take it up.

Btw, have you hooked yours up to the computer? Your targets look like the super tight default. Most of us get our patients to set the lower limit at 4 and upper at 10. Gives a more realistic picture of % time in target.

Edit: just saw you set yours 4 to 8
Old 15-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #175
Arch-Supremacy Member

It's not just the macros and their source that he has to watch. Soy milk (or legumes in general) is high in phosphate and potassium. These 2 electrolytes need to be carefully balanced in advanced CKD.
Goodness! So he’s gotta be absolutely strict with his diet then. I guess chick peas & beans in general are also out since they’re all legumes. This is good learning for me re folks with kidney disease stemming from T2D.
gkhchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #176

Goodness! So he’s gotta be absolutely strict with his diet then. I guess chick peas & beans in general are also out since they’re all legumes. This is good learning for me re folks with kidney disease stemming from T2D.
Give this some thoughts...

I can eat 1-2 serving of watermelon 2-3 times a week but I am not allow to drink freshly squeeze watermelon juice at all.

Old 15-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #177

Haha I wish. Many of my type 2 patients no $$$ or motivation. If I can even get them to check fingerprick 2x/week already considered a big achievement. Plus $180+ for the starter kit in addition to medications cost is tough for the blue collar ones.

But for the type 1s, I definitely push a lot harder for them to take it up.

Btw, have you hooked yours up to the computer? Your targets look like the super tight default. Most of us get our patients to set the lower limit at 4 and upper at 10. Gives a more realistic picture of % time in target.

Edit: just saw you set yours 4 to 8
Not yet download... The appointment is coming Thursday with my endocrine doc. Friday evening need to change new sensor. He forgot to give me my range so 4-8 is I set for myself.

Old 15-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #178
Banned

Fruit juice is sheer poison

Give this some thoughts...

I can eat 1-2 serving of watermelon 2-3 times a week but I am not allow to drink freshly squeeze watermelon juice at all.

kaypohchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #179

in before got news say keto diet cause some kind of health problem. all these reports contradict each other
linbeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #180

Yeah nutrition in advanced CKD is a whole new kettle of fish. Whole grains and low GI stuff can actually be detrimental due to potassium/phosphate which really confuses the diabetes patients to no end.

But rawtuna is not the typical renal patient also. I can say with certainty that he is capable of counting the macros/micros in his food better than a good number of doctors.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.