HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NUS Tembusu College Fired Jeremy Fernando for Sexual Assault

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2020, 03:07 AM   #1

NUS Tembusu College Fired Jeremy Fernando for Sexual Assault

Sharing a Facebook post by Gurpit Singh:

By now most of you have heard: Jeremy Fernando was fired from his position as a fellow at Tembusu College, NUS, because he sexually assaulted two women. I will add here that we have heard, and have raised, that there are very likely other women affected, though this remains speculation unless they come forward.

Two things have come to mind:

It’s disturbing to me how the very people in a liberal bubble, who audaciously celebrate women’s day and who claim to take women’s voices seriously, and I also refer to its students, forget their mantras of “believe women” when it comes to someone they know. Where is everyone who usually speaks up hiding now? The confidentiality shrouding the women is there for their protection, not for your selfish sureties.

Secondly, Tembusu’s directors have been disturbingly distant. The victims have been extremely traumatised throughout the process: the directors have remained detached. They cried out for a statement (as I have heard many tembusu students have too, it is only right) and gave permission for them to disclose select facts to explain his firing. Instead they chose to let misinformation spread and ignored the victims’ email for almost a week. It has been almost two weeks since Jeremy got fired. They have resisted making a clarifying statement, and avoided answering the victims’ requests head-on.

I’m saddened that the leaders of my former home and the place I’ve trusted violated its ethical duties to its students in three ways: it did not mobilise it’s residential team to look out for other survivors in the place where a predator was probably most active; it did not issue a statement that might have alerted other women to the investigation and help them get the care they need; it did not preserve any transparency in dealing with the aftermath and instead allowed rumours to spread rampant, people to disbelieve them and the women’s testimonies, and to allow tFreedom, an interest group, to become the cover for it.

The college master instead merely invited the victims to, “please direct anyone who is concerned to contact me”, so feel free to email the college directorship and ask them more, and perhaps even thereby clarify their inaction and uninspiring vacillation.
WhyNPNT and tiger2013 like this.

Last edited by givemeareasontoforget; 18-10-2020 at 03:21 AM..
givemeareasontoforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 03:11 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

So was there any police report made by NUS? Otherwise how to believe such allegations?

Secondly if a crime was committed, the perpetrator must be charged in court. Otherwise how many more victims will happen in the future?
popsune1, i3z..., WhyNPNT and 3 others like this.
clon33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 03:13 AM   #3

Making a police report may garner media attention which is not be good for the school.
popsune1 and WhyNPNT like this.
Old 18-10-2020, 03:20 AM   #4
Master Member

that's why work in female environment must always 三思而后行. You think can joke joke friendly, but when they buey song you time, behind chut "sexual harassment/assault" card means you game over liao.

Better to find male-oriented environment or just socially/physically/emotionally/virtually distance yourself from woman. Even better, must make sure your messages to female colleagues are tripled scanned through to make sure is family friendly and no sexual punks/references.

Otherwise end up ish you that kena.
HushiePuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 03:30 AM   #5
High Supremacy Member

It’s disturbing to me how the very people in a liberal bubble, who audaciously celebrate women’s day and who claim to take women’s voices seriously, and I also refer to its students, forget their mantras of “believe women” when it comes to someone they know. Where is everyone who usually speaks up hiding now? The confidentiality shrouding the women is there for their protection, not for your selfish sureties.

western liberalism junk..
they just *cut & paste whenever and whatever suits their aganda
WhyNPNT likes this.
kuti-kuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 04:03 AM   #6
High Supremacy Member

PR move by school? NUS name smelly enough in recent years

if allegations were unfound, that guy definitely would want to fight instead of losing fellowship

but sexual assault not criminal case involving police meh??? how come school can choose to ownself settle and deem firing the joker is closure to the issue

googled it nothing come out on the title
Old 18-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #7

NUS damn good with the cover up work, thats why some students are angry now
Old 18-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #8

that's why work in female environment must always 三思而后行. You think can joke joke friendly, but when they buey song you time, behind chut "sexual harassment/assault" card means you game over liao.

Better to find male-oriented environment or just socially/physically/emotionally/virtually distance yourself from woman. Even better, must make sure your messages to female colleagues are tripled scanned through to make sure is family friendly and no sexual punks/references.

Otherwise end up ish you that kena.
Did Jeremy Fernando sexually assault the women?
WhyNPNT likes this.
popsune1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 04:17 AM   #9
High Supremacy Member

suddenly thread gone, then back again

whose godly hands sia
popsune1, WhyNPNT and tiger2013 like this.
Old 18-10-2020, 05:53 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

no female will study in nus in future
bluerare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 06:20 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

This college residence is rather popular. How did this college residence deteriorated so badly in handling sexual cases? Sympathy to the victims.
Sultana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #12
Master Member

National university of sex
NUS
WhyNPNT likes this.
Temperance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
High Honorary Member

got such sagat
WhyNPNT likes this.
Old 18-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #14

This is NUS typical mafioso style

To silence people and victims

Hope the matter goes away and always think about their reputation and kpi first

Sent from Samsung SM-T295 using GAGT
WhyNPNT likes this.
MercuryHigh95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Nowadays "sexual assault" can mean anything.
WhyNPNT likes this.
Vicodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.